Tango Argentino > BsAs syndrome

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mladenac, Jan 25, 2011.

1. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Me too, but there's a time and a place for everything. ;)

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

me too, but its sorta gotta be eaten by eveyone....loved eating gazpacho, but then you can only dance with other gazpacho eaters...

3. chanchan

chanchan Member

You always need some sort of reference, even if you don't want to totally follow it. Otherwise, how can you know if the dance you have been taught is tango or some chinese dance disguised as tango?
    Tango is not only a dance. It is a set of many form of art, including music, poetry, theatre, literature... but also traditions, customs, superstitions, and much more. Someone likes it all, someone is only interested to the dance. This shouldn't be an issue.

Moreover, there are a lot of traditions that are argentine but have nothing to do with tango. I like empanadas but I don't like mate. Is it a problem?
    I am not telling that we shouldn't dance "Adios muchachos" (argentine never dance it: it is supposed to bring bad luck).

4. bordertangoman

5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Oh darn... my popcorn was finally ready!

sixela likes this.
  6. Zoopsia59

I think you mean Adios Nonino

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Yeta

Once I was shocked that no one around in my hometown did take care of this habit:
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=27094 And you Zoopsia has scoldet me for leaving the people in such darkness. Do you still remember? Meanwhile the habits changed, and even in BsAs it is actually possible to dance Adios Muchachos if it is a cover version or instrumental.

For males drinking mate can be dangerous if you fiddle about with the Bombilla deep in thought....

Only hope that spreading the finger while dancing isn´t connected with any kind of Yeta, too....

8. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

You are no longer a beginner when you can drink maté without fiddling with the bombilla.

9. Zoopsia59

Of course I don't remember... I barely remember yesterday!

And I can't remember something I never really picked up on, which is that apparently there are TWO of these forbidden songs that are not to be danced to. One more and we'll have an entire tanda that no one should dance to.

Oh wait.. we already do.. it's called the teacher demo!

10. Zoopsia59

You are no longer a beginner when you can drink mate (with or without the bombilla) while dancing tango

11. chanchan

chanchan Member

I mentioned Adios Muchachos because it is perfectly danceable. If one is not interested to follow argentine superstitions, there is no reason to avoid it. Let's say it is like number 13 in North-America.

Adios Nonino is objectively difficult to dance, no matter what is was intended for.

12. bordertangoman

"For example, one doesn't dance to the well known tango "Adios Muchachos" as it is (falsely)[citation needed] believed the last one sung by Carlos Gardel before his untimely accident leading to his death."

wiki

13. opendoor

ah, Wiki lost touch with the tango afficionados. It is not danced for another reason. It was regarded a presentiment, as a farewell note in advance. The order of the last recorded pieces got no relevance. Adiós Muchachos was written in 1927, Gardel died in 1935.

If Mark Knopfler would die to morrow the same would happen to Brothers in Arms.

14. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I'm including it (Adiós Muchachos) in my next playlist. It'll be the first song in a Canaro/Maida tanda. Apart from anything else, if Roberto Maida is about to drop dead, he sounds remarkably cheerful about it.

The question is, who will be the predictable bore who ostentatiously sits it out, or even comes and tells me off? I'll offer him/her a couple of harmless Asprin, and say they are the cure for BsAs Syndrome.

15. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this superstition. I always assumed it was not played because it's more of a song than a dance tune. It would be like playing Por Una Cabesa.

16. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I grew up in a very superstitious culture. I am somewhat superstitious (not nearly as much as my grandparents' generation, though :) ). Personally, I don't believe teasing people about their superstitions is especially good taste.

However, you won't be the first to challenge that particular tango superstition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp1-amjSOro

Note that it was not done it in the traditional venue full of old people, quite the contrary. ;)

17. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

If you get a chance, you might watch Robert Duvall's "Assasination Tango". I seem to remember that there is a scene where this superstition is the topic of discussion. As I remember it, even mentioning the song should involve a grasping of a certain part of the male anatomy to ward off the bad luck involved. (I have the dvd at home, and may review it.)

I should add, for those of you who aren't aware of it, that Duvall's wife is an Argentina, and he (Duvall) is very much into the tango, even dancing at the White House for some function or other..

18. opendoor

Almost: it´s not a counter-magic. Only dancing would be bad luck, yeta. To grab once groin is the gesture that expresses the deep consternation. Women slip into their bra in that situation.

19. opendoor

Think a lot of forum readers already know that jantango has offered guidance in and for BsAs several times. http://jantango.wordpress.com

Recently also another friend wrote on her blog: