General Dance Discussion > Burnout Question

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Well, it's time to admit it. After dancing continuously for the past eight years I think I'm actually beginning to experience burnout and am considering cutting back.

I think one of the factors is dancing at the same place all the time; there is not much variety here as far as other studios and venues go.

What I'm curious to know is how others who may have been in the same situation delt with this.

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Hi Spitfire,

I have felt this at times, also. I've been dancing for about 11 years and I don't dance nearly as much as I did when I started, but I still enjoy it. I think it's OK to take a break for a short time. I'll bet you'll miss it and then find yourself dancing as much as ever.

3. Spitfire

That's why I don't want to take a complete break from it; just cut back on it for awhile.

4. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Spitfire,
    I have advocated that dancers learn and dance several of the Ballroom dances instead of sticking to just Salsa or just Lindy, etc., Fortunately, I was originally trained in 1949 for Chain Studio teaching and we had to be fairly proficient in all the Ballroom dances before we were allowed to teach. I once thought that Tango was my favorite, then I met a great Swing dancer and that became my favorite until I discovered Mambo/Salsa and I found that to be the dance were I could more fully express myself. Every dance has a different mood and fulfills a new fantasy.
    As for teachers who specialize in only one dance, they would fair much better if they were proficient in several Ballroom dances. And what you learn in one dance invariably improves your other dances, not to mention it introduces you to a different group of people that come into your life. 'Variety is the spice of life', holds true in dancing as it does in foods and other social and academic activities. Burnout it do to the boredom of monotonous repetition of one activity. Learn a new dance or a new sport that challenges your faculties, your brain and your body;
    Learn my Bossa Nova!

Black Sheep wants your YES vote for the Magic Pill!
    Email it to d.lanza@netzero.net

5. Spitfire

I don't stick to one dance; while ECS and Cha-Cha are my favorites I also like to do Rumba, Salsa and Waltz. As I mentioned I think part of this may be due to going to pretty much the same location 90 per cent of the time. :roll:

You do have a point though and I am considering learning Argentine Tango and giving WCS another try - didn't initially care for it when I was taking classes in WCS. I've also wanted to learn more tradiditonal Lindy Hop, but this means doing so from the local group here which only gives its classes periodically plus I don't care for the anti- "ballroom swing" attitudes of many Lindy Hoppers who seem to think they are the swing police.

For a change of pace though briefly I'm going to make my third trip to the Seattle area in two more weeks where there is great dancing and lots of variery and I'm looking forward to that. :D

6. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

SPITFIRE,
    There's a Magic Pill coming up for authentic Lindy Hop with which you can learn the foundation of the dance in minutes of reading at home holding onto the back support of a chair. July 4th, or sooner this Magic Pill, learning method will be Emailed to patients suffering from 'Burnout-Boredom', and revitalize your metabolism and return your joy of dancing for you. A word from an old man, "Never judge the gift by the giver" or "Never judge the group by a few individuals." or "Never judge the Black Sheep by his color".
    Last Saturday, June 21, I met a man from Switzerland, Peter at a book rummage sale and as we got to talking, I recalled my first trip to Europe in 1972 when I became acquainted with my first man from Switzerland who was under 5 feet tall. Since this was my first acquaintance with a Switzer, I assumed all Switzerser were dwarfs. Peter the Switzer at the book store was 6'1" and a very sturdy man who happened to be a 58 year old former black smith, so now I am convinced all Switzers are 6'1" and are built like brick outhouses!
    Incidentally, in the course of our conversation, Peter asked me what I did, and my answer started a mini Cha Cha class right in the area with Peter accomplishing his life long ambition of learning the Cha Cha within a five minute Magic Pill dance lesson. So now I'm convinced all Switzers are big and strong and learn the Cha Cha very quickly. But I don't know about the Ugandans of upper Silesia, because I never met one, but I hope they dance my Bossa Nova, if not I have a Magic Pill for that dance which I'll share with you to help get you out of that Burnout Stage:

BOSSA NOVA MAGIC PILL:
    START WITH ALL SIDE STEPS AND THEN IMPROVISE IN ANY DIRECTION:
    Count: 1,2,3, tap; 1,2,3 tap; 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,tap. All turns and improvised jazz moves are done on the Seven & tap counts. But since I am not there to 'Police' you, then you can turn, travel, skip, hop, jump or Break dance to this '32 quarter note' Basic rhythm step. This is the authentic Bossa Nova Rhythmic Dance. I aught to know because I, Joe Lanza did in fact create it in 1961-2.

Black Sheep d.lanza@netzero.net Don't forget to vote YES for your prescription of the Lindy Hop Magic Pill,
    I'm home waiting by the phone for your vote. (computer doesn't rhyme with home)