Ballroom Dance > Buses and couples

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by cornutt, Jun 4, 2017.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

It dawned on me last Friday, whilst in the process of waltzing and leading my partner through a sequence of flip-flops across the center of the floor to avoid a massive traffic jam at one end: you know how city buses always wind up running one right behind the other? That seems to often happen to couples too...

j_alexandra likes this.
  2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

You mean like when six couples go thundering across the floor doing VW and all wind up in one corner and can't figure out how to get out? Yeah, I've seen that.

cornutt likes this.
  3. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

I always figured there was something special about those few square feet of wood floor in the corner, since it's so popular. ;) I've seen it happen at socials, but also at comps, even with pro heats.

cornutt and RiseNFall like this.
  4. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

If you are the couple that is stuck, then it's time to display your dazzling array of shapes! If I am approaching a cluttered corner while dancing Viennese waltz, I will "cut the corner early" by dancing a running spin turn, check, and slip pivot, a legal, closed syllabus figure for WDSF (or whatever it is).

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

The slower a couple is, the "bigger" it is (in floorcraft-space), and the less certain a second couple may be of avoiding the initial couple, and the slower (or further) that second couple must go to guarantee avoidance.