Tango Argentino > Videos > Butt wiggling and flashy footwork are not tango

Discussion in 'Videos' started by jantango, Feb 21, 2013.

1. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Malbec. It's wine, isn't it?

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Another DFer mentioned Malbec in the context of things that people do in the name of tango.

Just figured we could use a little levity. :cool:

3. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I do Malbec, but not only in the context of tango. And levity is great, even if understated.

4. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

"[Talking about jantango] It seems that only true impression of tango is yours."

Haven't been here long, have we?

You just have to accept jantango's rather fanatical defence of the Only True Tango and move on (at least if you want to discuss the interesting subjects she does bring up).

Trying to make her budge is like trying to find out what happens when a force meets an immutable object.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  5. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

I don't like your tone in several threads, can you please steer towards a more mature discussion instead of ad hominem attacks on Jantango?

6. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

That's not an attack (otherwise I would have known better than to say she brings up interesting discussion subjects).

It's gentle advice to someone who hasn't crossed pens with jantango yet not to try to discuss definitions with Jan, because she sticks to hers no matter what others try to convince her of (that's not a judgement, that's an observation, and I think discussions about definitions are a bit futile, really).

Of course, feel free to dislike my tone in several threads (or even all of them).

I don't particularly like the tone of your reply either, and I think it's much more ad hominem than my comment about jantango ever was, but I don't object to it that much -- not liking it and objecting to it are two different things.

7. pygmalion

Hmm. Having read through this forum for years and having participated sporadically, I would say that the tone here is gently sarcastic comradery. That's nothing to do with sixela or jan. That's just the way it is, here. There are occasional spats, but those are really not at all frequent. What you have here is a group of mature, opinionated, (for the most part) experienced lovers of tango. The tone is not always saccharine sweet but, in my time here, it has almost always been incredibly supportive. I's just us folks, seeking to share information. And believe me, jan holds her own.

sixela likes this.
  8. pygmalion

Yes. jan brings up some really interesting topics. :) And yes. She has strong opinions.

sixela likes this.
  9. jantango

jantango Active Member

I knew and danced with the late Ricardo Vidort, who was the only milonguero viejo who taught tango in English. He had classes in New York City. He shared tango with those who wanted to learn from him. He taught them what they needed to know and then sent students on their way to practice and find their own tango. There are teachers today who hold on to students for years, and they never find their tango.

My only leading experience was during classes. I do not want to lead a woman at a milonga. Besides, it's not permitted at Lo de Celia Tango Club where I dance three times a week.

10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

And, she always seems to respond with her own experience and knowledge, which is the basis of her opinions.
    Others may have different experience and knowledge, and different opinions. That's perhaps as it should be.

And, I will once again write that I really appreciate the fact that "you all" rarely let things get out of hand in what is supposed to be "a dynamic environment with debates, news, and personal stories" "in a friendly and supportive environment."

pygmalion likes this.
  11. pygmalion

Two more potentially great discussion topics-- finding ones own tango and conventions around same sex tango partnerships.

Just sayin. jan is a gem. :)

12. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I've been around I really appreciate when somebody is trying to be constructive and zealous about their thing.
    What I don't dislike is when anybody put others to promote themselves.

I don't say that Jan is not a gem, but her attitude is not always pleasant for discussion and to share tango enthusiasm.

I do also as Jan prefer some art forms or sports form that were actual some or long time ago, but they are not anymore.
    When able I enjoy them in a form they were but I don't preach others continually that is the only and proper way.

There is an evolution going on, sometimes we don't like but I am sure that we need to accept it.

Subliminal and pygmalion like this.
  13. Mladenac

I am glad that you have that experience and that you can share what you were taught.
    There are various kind of teachers and students. It's not easy for teachers also.
    Luckily I have wonderful teachers who not only taught me about tango. ;)
    And lot of principles I learned through tango and with those teachers I can apply to other areas of my life.

And how did you lead during the practice sessions?

I usually use some simple sequence (walking included) to feel my new partner.
    And those sequence are mildly improvized to the music. After that I can improvize more.

14. Mladenac

I prefer the topic finding ones tango more. :)

pygmalion likes this.
  15. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

This is interesting, because you have such very strong opinions on what is and is not tango that seem to leave very little room for differing styles and tastes.

16. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Ignorance is such a marvelous thing! Ignorance = repeat customers! You only know what your teachers let you know and completely ignorant of everything they don't want you to know. Why buy a gallon of milk when you can get the cow to milk?

17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

variety is the spice of life ... but some people cant eat spice... bummer

18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

because you need to grow four acres of turf to feed the cow.:)

so you would marry the dance teacher??

19. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

The style is in the music. Taste is how a person chooses to dance to it. Perhaps what is being railed against is poor taste. That is what I rail against.

20. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Hell no. :)