Ballroom Dance > Buying a tailsuit

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ACtenDance, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. rebounder

    rebounder New Member

    a black shirt with 2 pieces of black paper taped on the back. budget tailsuit
  2. Chris Stratton

    Chris Stratton New Member

    Maybe more like the duct tape prom dress idea - black garbage bags and black duct tape. But you'd die of overheating after the first dance.
  3. tangotime

    tangotime Well-Known Member

    Well at least, they would have something to carry you away in ! ;)
  4. etp777

    etp777 Active Member

    Actually glad this thread came back to the top. Someone was asking about dance tailsuits on another forum I post on on occasion, so I was able to use information from this thread, particularly some of Chris' posts, to rpetend like I actually knew something about them. :)
  5. contracheck

    contracheck New Member

    Yesterday, My coach saw me wearing my smooth suit made by this tailor for the first time ecven though I picked it up many months ago. We are preparing for a showdance first time since last yr's Am Star Ball. She was completely stunned by how an old ugly duckling turned into a peacock. For the first time in my long association with her, I saw that her critical eagle eyes failed detecting one deficiency. This particular suit make a man look tall and slim. Mr. Sodano, McDonald, etc, if you read this posts, watch us; you have to smile at us.
  6. operabob

    operabob New Member

    Not to be a snob (OK, I'm being a snob)

    It's "Duck Tape". You now can buy a product called "Duct Tape" but it's actually an incorrect substitute for Duck Tape because people wrapped tape around duct work.

    Duck Tape was actually developed in the Second World War as a means to seal ammunition boxes. It needed to repel water as in "water off a duck's back".

    Just one of those useless bits of info I'm full of (insert your own joke here)!

  7. reb

    reb Active Member

    You gave your sources credit, of course ;)
  8. Chris Stratton

    Chris Stratton New Member

  9. etp777

    etp777 Active Member

    Duck tape is a brand name now, duct tape is the generic name from any brand.

    And Reb, didn't give name, as wasn't sure Chris (And otherse in this thread whose names I dont' know) wanted their name on other forum, but I did say that I had gotten the information from "someone who knows more about costumes than I ever will" on another board. :)
  10. operabob

    operabob New Member

  11. old dog

    old dog Member

  12. Chris Stratton

    Chris Stratton New Member

  13. operabob

    operabob New Member

    Showing 83.33% misunderstanding of the difference! :cool:
  14. jefferson

    jefferson New Member

    Getting my first dance tails tailored for International... got 2 quick questions really:

    Do you guys wear a waistcoat on top of your shirt and under the coat? My tailor mentioned cummerbund, and that just seemed...odd to me.

    Also... with the pants, how are they meant to fit? Rather wide-legged, pleats?

  15. Dancebug

    Dancebug Well-Known Member

    Who is your tailor if you don't mind?
  16. jefferson

    jefferson New Member

    I dance in Edmonton, Canada, but am in Hong Kong right now for the holidays... figured that I might just go to a dance tailor here, but I suppose no one would know who she is!
  17. latingal

    latingal Well-Known Member

    Welcome to DF jefferson!
  18. contracheck

    contracheck New Member

    According to my tailor, cumberband and waistcoat are the same.
  19. etp777

    etp777 Active Member

    It may be used interchangably in dancewear, but not in proper formalwear/white tie.

    A cummerbund is what you most often see with a tuxedo, and is descended from a type of sash tied around waist. Typical pleated silk (or these days, polyester). Pleats go up ;). This should be silk though, and more imprtantly, mach lapels finish, satin or grosgrain (THis last line is from rules for black tie, think it's same for white tie, but in honesty, haven't heard of anyone wear cummerbund with white tie).

    A waistcoast is another term for a vest. Traditionally, black or white tie, this should be 3(occasionally 4) button if single breasted, and 6 button if double breasted. These are low buttoning vests, not typical high vest you often see that covers up most of body. With white tie, these will most often be white pique.

    Sure Joe or Chris will expand on what I've said. And yes, expand probably means correct, at least on some of it. :)
  20. NielsenE

    NielsenE Active Member

    Normally a cumberbund is a pleated, wide "sash" worn over the meeting point of trousers and shirt. Its most commonly seen with tuxedos and military dress uniforms.

    Waistcoat is (non-ballroom, generally formal-ware term) synonymous with a standard single or double brested vest (it was a coat cut off at the waist, as compared to the frock and tail coats of the time) Some people mention a "Vestette" (little vest) which is the best description of the item worn in Standard under a tail suit. -- it has the bottom outline of a vest, with faux buttons. Normally its designed to continue the picque finish of the shirt worn in standard, again to give the illusion of a full vest worn under the tail coat. Like some "Waiter" vests or the vests worn with some tuexedoes it has no back other than a single strap. Unlike the waiter vests it doesn't extend up and around the neck. Thus the Vestette has some similarities to the cumberbund -- it is more belt/sash-like than vest like. But it is very different looking and I wouldn't consider them identical.

    [Heh, looks like etp and I collided, but at least we said the same thing]

Share This Page