Ballroom Dance > Buying a tailsuit

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ACtenDance, Jul 23, 2004.

1. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I picked up my tail from my tailor (who is regarded by some one of the best tailors around) who brought it from CA to the Manhattan competition last Sunday. He gave me thorough instruction on how to wear tail and accessories. In my case, there are four white buttons outside of the pants, two each on left and right side of the fly. I attach my waistcoat outside of the pants through these four buttons. He tolsd me never sit when I have my pants on. If I must sit, he told me to release two waistcoat buttons on one side and open the fly. he also gave me instruction on how to put on jacket, but I guess that it is outside of the scope of your interest.

2. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I thought that what you described was true, but my tailor told me they mean exactly the same. When he used these two terms interchangeably, I tried to tell him that cumberband and waistcoat were different, but he still said that they were the same. He made a white waistcoat but he called it cumberband. Maybe in Russia they meant the same thing. I am in no position to argue with him.

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hahaha, I completely understand why he gave directions he did, and why dance tails are cut different than normal formal tails, but I can't help but laugh at directions that you have to half disrobe and open fly just to sit down between heats. Hopefully your heats are all close together and you don't have any long waits. :D

4. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I think this is mostly because fitting a tuxedo jacket is more difficult than fitting a tailsuit. You have to worry about the bottom of the waist, where it opens out again, as well as the top.

The only other thing is, you'd have to go all the way on the arms, because you can't really anchor the jacket to the pants. You can count on the jacket being closed in the front, though.

5. jefferson

jefferson New Member

etp, Neilson,

That's what I thought too... could you post up pictures of your tailsuit and the waistcoat/cummerbund?

Well, I suppose that's a request to anyone out there!

Just want to make sure I'm not getting some odd Asian tailsuit that isn't quite correct...

THanks for the warm welcome!

6. reb

reb Active Member

And . . . the buttons also connect to the inside of the front of the talisuit to help pull it down.

You're smart to ask for a picture - it sounds like you might look 'unique' if you're not dressed as contracheck described.

In the meantime, check out the waistcoat in this link - this is the type you'll see those around you wearing on the competitive floor.

http: // www . danceshopper.com/dance-supplies-mens-accessories

7. jefferson

jefferson New Member

Reb,

Thanks for the advice there!

To all those with tailsuits out there... (and those with partners who have tailsuits!), do the "waistcoats" look like this?

[​IMG]

If so, I imagine that this is what my tailor meant... but I had always assumed that dance tailsuit wearers would have a waist coat much like those of your typical white tie wear... the double breasted type with a shawl collar, mostly backless...

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That would be a vestette, above. We don't wear the backless waistcoats like they wear for weddings because who needs the extra layers that aren't gonna be seen anyway? Tails are hot enough as is. Some guys even dispense with the vestette, if their tails close up a lot in front.

As far as the trousers, I have had both pleated and flat-front. If given my preference, I would take the pleated. The flat-front didn't permit the range of movement I now need--or at least they made it uncomfortable. And the current ones are rather wide-legged.

9. contracheck

contracheck New Member

The nomenclature is confusing as usual. Like you, DSI calls it VESTETTE, but Chrisane calls this same item a WAISTCOAT while DSI calls the regular conventional vest a WAISTCOAT.

10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yeah, for dancing I'd definitely go pleated, not flat front. In genearl, I prefer flat front pants, and think they look better on my build, but don't give me range of motion I really need for dancing, so for tailsuit, go pleated.

11. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

You're right about the nomenclature. I list it as a waistcoat and so do most of the people I have dealt with. As long as you can look at the product before you order you are okay. Many of us vendors call it a waistcoat because we buy from the same people, such as Chrissanne products.
    As far as tail suits, I have hear the name Ron Gunn or something like that passed around a bit. Taka dance makes off the rack tux's but their not the quality it sounds like you want. If you don't get anyone to give you mre feedback on the name gunn I am sure you can Google it using the keywords gun and tuxedo in the same search.

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I call it a vestette because a waistcoat it ain't. :)

13. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I am not so sure, Joe if you are correct. Nomenclatures usually have long and complicated history, and often controversial. I'll be damned if Chirssane is using wrong nomenclature. My guess is that both you and Chrissane are correct, and we accept it the way it is.

14. QPO

QPO New Member

My partner was so fortunate to find a secondhand suit from a guy in Holland and we are in Australia. they had advertised it on the internet and told them that we would be coming over and they saved it for us. When he tried it on it was like it was made for my partner. Very fortunate and it only cost the equivalent of $160 Aussie dollars. Sometime you get a lucky break.

15. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Now in my particular case, I have no idea what the right name is. I never did and I don't now. I should but I don't. That's not humility, by the way. Just the truth.
    I call it that because if I call it anything else when I order them the people I get them from may send me something that I really don't have any idea about. So I will defer to those of you who I am certain know better than I.
    I think though, that maybe it is time to further my education.
    Cheers!
    :rolleyes:

16. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

(partial quote)

By the way, I thought this was very amusing: I went in an Googled the words gun and tuxedo like I suggested last night. One of the resulting links from my search returned me directly to this thread from many moons ago. I guess Google really is watching all of us???
    :roll:

17. contracheck

contracheck New Member

A rose by any other name is still a rose, and that is the truth. Don't let this confusing name bother you.

18. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Thank you my friend. I try not to let the small stuff bother me....
    :cheers:

19. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Thanks. You're the only one here who calls me a friend.

20. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Their loss. I am friends with everyone until a person proves otherwise.....
    :cool: