Country and Western > C&W Competitions

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Vince A, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Are there any C&W dancers that compete in any venue?

What dances?
    What venue?

2. sunderi

sunderi New Member

Just for kicks, I did some C&W entries once at a competition. I really had very little idea of what I was doing, and it was just lead & follow. Fun, though. :)

3. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I see this question was posted a long time ago and got no responses.

I compete in c&w--usually in American Country events, sometimes in UCWDC. (I'm hoping to do more UC events next year and go to Worlds if they are in the states.) I do waltz, 2-step, triple 2 step, polka, cha cha, ECS, WCS and nightclub 2 step. I've been competing for about 3 years and I love it! (I've been dancing 4 years--I also do some ballroom but haven't competed in it. My teacher is a ballroom dancer, though, who is really into the c&w scene.)

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Happy to see that you brought it back up. We moderators, as well as others, frequently go back in and bring old threads up! Thanks . . .

Well form the dances that you listed . . . you certainly have all 8 of the typicla UCWDC competitive dances . . . you should be at the Intermediate level, at least, by now . . . maybe further. That is the level I was at when I decided to let dancing take a back seat to guitar, and to get better after having my doctor tell me that I had Diabetes Type II. But I certainly am itching to get back to competing.

That ballroom training certainly will help you in the UCWDC, as more and more of "their" rules are leaning toward ballroom.

So, who is your teacher? Many of the C&W dancers are crossovers from ballroom. They are the cause for making the UCWDC C&W events being better . . . I personally thank them for it! The "look" has really eveolved over the years that I competed in the UCWDC and CWDI.

I saw your other post on costumes. I started buying a lot of my stuff at dance venues, snad so did my wife. We each had our own Pro, but she has moved on to "Advanced," and her costumes are getting very expensive . . . over a $1,000 for one waltz skirt, but she looks great!

It's a matter of how "far" you want to go . . . your personal pride, and ego, of course. The compeitive fever will force you to spend the $$$, as I believe you have already experienced.

5. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Yes, I am planning to look at the next event for costumes--hopefully will be able to find some used ones--especially waltz skirts. I would like to improve my image some. I've been able to sell a couple of the costumes my daughter and I used at the beginning, so that has helped out some.

Our teacher is Don McCarty. He's the best!!!! We're looking forward to Fort Worth in March.

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Kewl . . . finding a friend that sews can reduce costs . . . buying stuff off the rack and "stoning" them is inexpensive, but by far the best bet is watch the specials at events, and live with the few choices you are given.

My wife, before she went to the Advanced level, used to swap with other ladys in her size for different looks, but remember to keep your Pro in mind if he dresses to "match" you . . .

I have heard of Don . . . albeit, I cannot remember what he looks like or how his dancing is. Is this a UCWDC event? I was trying to get pygmalion to get to that event too!

I have found the UCWDC family to be the "greatest."

7. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I plan to move up to Intermediate this year :!: so this is a good time to think about new costumes. I'm actually in the middle of making a couple of new skirts, but just can't get motivated to work on one for waltz--they're so big and really a lot of work to do something special.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Ft. Worth is an ACDA event. Lots of nice people there too. I think the only UC events we have done are St. Louis and Chicago--and my daughter also went to Fresno last May.

Don is a judge so I'm sure you've encountered him somewhere along the way!

Maybe we'll meet at an event soon!

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

9. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

The ACDA is mainly in the mid-west-Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana. We live in Missouri so it has been great for us!

My daughter's name is Gretchen. She's about 5'9'', was blond at the time of the Fresno event! She competed in the swing portion as well as the regular C&W. She has been out of the dance scene this year as she has been playing college basketball, but she's planning to go to Ft. Worth with us. She's a beautiful dancer and is hoping to compete in the regular divisions (not pro-am) in the future if she can find a partner. She's won most of the pro-am events she's competed in.

You've been an encouragement to me...I hope to be able to dance with you someday!

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Kewl . . . a local venue to compete in . . .

You may look for CWDI venues in the area as well!

The name doesn't ring a bell, but the description certainly does . . .

She sounds like she is well into the dance competition thing just like her Mom.

I am happy to have encouraged you, and if and when you need more . . . especially just before a comp . . . just E-me!

11. sunshineboy78

sunshineboy78 New Member

Speaking of ACDA events, is anyone going to Dwight and Sandy's event in April? It's in Pheonix and I'll be performing at it.