Country and Western > C&W dancing for non-smokers

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by pygmalion, Jul 10, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

*cough* Need I say more? Has anyone besides me noticed the tendency of popular C&W places to be old fashioned, rahd liquor drinking, smoke filled places? :shock: (I'll never forget the times(s) I lost my voice from an allergey to all that smoke.) But I love C&W dncing, and there doesn't seem to be much alternative to smoky bars, at least around here. Have you seen the same thing? What's up with that? Cowboy stereotypes? Culture? Thoughts?

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Move to an area with lawst against it?

(Smoking in a public establishment, not C&W)

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That certainly is an option, at least in the future. 8) :lol:

4. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Of course some trends would seem to indicate that you could just stay put and wait for a future such area to include your present location...

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    Care and I belong to several social clubs, all within 1-2 hours driving time.

Most times, if the dance is on a Friday, we'll stay overnight at a nearby hotel (those AAA discounts are nice).

Nonetheless, the socialclubs are very proud of their non-drinking atmosphere, and smokers do go outside.

By the way, for C&W dancing, try a pair of custom hand-made EveningStar boots . . . Care says they have to be experienced to be believed!!!

6. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

My studio has CW dances on Friday nights with no smoking (smoking's not allowed inside in Sacramento). We do have a bar on those nights, but the focus tends to be on dancing rather than drinking so it doesn't get too obnoxious. You'll just have to fly out here for a visit, Jenn! :)

Vince, when are you coming up here again??

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yep . . . come out Jenn . . .

Carolyn has moved up to Advanced dancer, so she practices a lot, but her Pro is moving to Arizona. She will be looking for a new one soon. Know any really good ones for UCWDC??? I see that we missed each other in Fresno???

So, we usually don't get to dances, per say, but after my day of reckoning at work on August 11 and her final comps (sept and oct), we've vowed to each other to get out for more dancing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

All this talk of C&W dancing, plus knowing a couple other people who are into it makes me think of going and checking one of these dances out. No smoking in public establishments in NY state and so I should be fine! :)

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

This is why I generally don't do my dancing in any of the clubs. The atmosphere of the studios and facilities used by USABDA, the WCS club and Lindy group is in addition to being smoke and alchohol free is also friendlier. Also, the ladies here don't have much of a problem with aggressive guys.

I did attend a WCS happy hour last night, but this was before the main crowd came in. Don't know if I will be attending many of these though.