Country and Western > C/W Two-step: Do you round your corners?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by discovery, May 7, 2005.

1. discovery

discovery New Member

When dancing Country Two-step how do you handle the corners of the dancefloor?

Do you just curve your patterns as you round a corner? Or do you go straight along the edges of the room and then do something special in the corners to make more of a 90-degree turn? In other words, do you treat the floor like a race track/ ice skating rink or more like a box?

2. discovery

discovery New Member

Any takers? If anyone has anything to say about this topic I sure would appreciate it. Or if you need me to clarify what I am asking just let me know. Thanks!

3. macha

macha New Member

We always did a simple turn at the corners OR just rounded them off back in the day, but we were very rudimentary, amateur dancers. We looked pretty sad trying to cut down old people on the ONLY CLUB in town's dance floor. :oops:

Thank you for making me realize that I DO know one dance- the two-step! Wow... my entire day has just gotten... wombatsy! :lol:

4. jon

jon Member

Both, basically depending on mood and how crowded the floor is. It is actually really easy to make a 90 degree left turn in this dance.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

If the dance is a socail and there are not hundreds on the floor, I'll do both. When it's crowded, I usually stay inside and round the corners!

Hey jon . . . are you going to Yvonne B's thing this weekend up in Novato?

6. jon

jon Member

No plans to. Do you have a link?

It could just be advancing age, but ISTR that when I first danced country, back around 1990, people actually moved smoothly around the floor. These days there are so many gratuitous stops and slowdowns happening that dancing CW2S feels more like ballroom, the flow is lost.

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I think the leaders I've dance with have done both.

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

http://www.starsballroom.com/
    Click on the Saturday May 14 link above the pic . . . I'm not sure if my wife is competing or not??? I'll go for sure is she is . . .

And nobody looks over their shoulder before they execute these moves, and if you are behind someone who is in the middle of doing some crazy pattern . . . it's difficult to see their stuff going on. These days, I can't get around the floor twice w/o having a major slam into someone . . . I know, it's my job to watch, but . . . . . .

9. discovery

discovery New Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies. So it seems the consensus is that both ways of handling corners are used. And I slightly get the impression that people are likely to use the 90-degree method only when the floor is less crowded and the "curve" method when the floor is more crowded. Would you agree with that breakdown? Also is there a breakdown by dance ability? That is, do more advanced dancers tend to use one method more often, whereas beginning dancers use the other? How about for competitive two-step?

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yes . . .

I would say no, as almost everyone "cuts' the corners these days - even the Pros. I rarely see anyone heading for the corner, doing a 90 degree turn, and exit out, down the next line. Having said that, I'll add that there are some individuals, that I see doing the 90 degree stuff consistently!

No particular groups do it . . . it's everyone who cuts the corners, including the Pros in competition. I don't think that there is a requirement to hit the corners all the time!

11. discovery

discovery New Member

It sounds like you are saying the curve/cut the corner method is more common. Is that right?