Cacho Dante

Discussion in 'Videos' started by AndaBien, Apr 1, 2012.

1. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

A recent (7-Mar-2012) interview with Cacho Dante. He was a major influence in my dancing. It's good to know that he's still around and active. There is a demonstration dance at about 24:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuralwF3naU

He refers to "Tango Vegetariano", which I had never heard him say before.

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Interesting and substantial interview. Thanks.
    By the way, is Cacho Dante the decent guy who leads Sally Potter into a cortado at 0:39 ? (followed by Salas, Vega and Copello)

First Milonga http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CdXDunBfY

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that's him.
    And BTW, I love this stuff.
    Had a few lessons with him when he was in Portland maybe 8/9/10? years ago.
    I remember him asking me if I got one thing he was teaching as we were leaving one lesson. (Skippy Blair would disapprove of my writing this, but every partner I had would NOT stay with me when I led one of what we were learning. The assistant teacher danced it with me and I had no problem leading it because she could keep her axis from moving away from me. Sorry, Skippy!)

I think so, I answered.

4. Steve Pastor

Yeah, great interview! So much to comment on.
    "Having more time and respecting the pauses, one dance better..."
    etc, etc

5. Steve Pastor

She (Susanna Miller) said, "..it's getting lost...all those frauds that are teaching all those things that you cannot do..."

6. AndaBien

I don't know about those teachers, but I know about me as a teacher. I tried many times to convince my students that the best dance was found in the simplest steps done beautifully. Most leaders would not accept that premise: they probably thought I was the fraud.

I know some teachers give a token warning that the steps about to be taught are not suitable for a crowded floor. It's like a small print disclaimer on a liquor bottle.

I wish more teachers (and organizers) would insist that there is another way to dance (small) and insist that their students learn it.

ETA: Well, it didn't work for me, why should it work for them? Maybe those with more authority should shoulder the burden.

7. opendoor

But remember (interview) that he himself got this insight rather late. Before that he favoured Salón and the music of Pugliese.

8. AndaBien

I don't get your reasoning. Neither salon style nor Pugliese dictates that one dances big. What insight do you think he got rather late?

9. Steve Pastor

As I heard it, Cacho HAD to dance apart from his partners, because the mothers were watching in the neighborhood where he was dancing. When he went deeper into the city, the couples were more closely embraced, a more adult activity.

Music does not "dictate" the style of dance, although we may find that it "suggests." How cloesly you embrace your partner has little to do with the music. Many other factors come into play there.

The younger people liked Pugliese because it was new. The older stuff was perferred by the previous generation, and was old fashioned to the young people.
    This is a theme that has played out over and over again.

I think that dancing small when there is lots of room to dance is a very tough sell; so much so that I wonder if it is really a viable thing outside of certain venues.
    A pity, really, because it can be such an intense, wonderful thing.
    Based on my own (limited) experince in BA at traditional milongas, it is something that anyone planning a trip there should study and practice, however.

I would rather dance in an open embrace than poorly in a "close" but not weight sharing embrace. (a preference I think I've been consistent in expressing)

10. opendoor

AndaBien, simmer down, please dont let us start a style discussion! I only accented that he had changed his style.

Ok, Steve, but you know that I never ever would agree. There is a limit to everything, bc. fantasia, stage and nuevo isnt my thing. But I try (tried) to distinguish between canyengue, confiteria (aka milonguero), salón, club and neo tango, according to the music played.

11. Steve Pastor

What do you think about his comments on what he found when he first went to Germany?
    Is anything different now?

12. opendoor

have to admit, that he actually hit the nail on the head (felt unmasked). The situation changed a little bit by now. There are a lot of styles around and Berlin challenges BsAs to be the true tango capital (bc most argentine teachers of high rank spend the argentine winter in Berlin). But nevertheless the Germans seem to be the most strenuous tango students around. think most argentinians roll their eyes concerning germans students. On the other hand Germans hate the argentine way of teaching: in the first place they miss the ability to abstract and to analyze. Every big town got at least 3 argentine couples: one teaching milonguero, one teaching stage, and one VU (whereas either of them claim to teach the original true tango). Young german tango teachers between 30 and 40 got a high affinity to the DNI-style. German teachers over 40 years of age tend to teach Naveira style. The south of Germany still is neo-land, while the north is getting as traditional as possible. The music played in Hamburg is 30s till early 40s stuff (hate it!) There is only one milonga left around playing neo, nu and non tangos. So far in brief.

13. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

OD, hopefully you know that I think the world of you, but I'm a bit skeptical of this claim. How did you determine it?

14. sixela

sixela Active Member

I think one thing that's probably completely alien to Germans is a sense of "respeto". If they want something or they're not pleased with something, they'll just ask, and that kind of German straightforwardness is completely baffling to Argentines, who see it as extremely blunt.

It's not even limited to questions, Germans seem prone to utter mere observations that others would keep to themselves. [I also think that if Germans could keep that in check a bit they'd learn more, but I guess it's a bit too much to ask for them to rewire their brains into Latin ones.] And they'll naturally do so without inserting qualifications or using a conditional mood to hedge their bets (expecting the other party to protest and insert these for them), often even overgeneralising just to make the point clearer.

The most hilarious scenes arise when a German tries to out-porteño a porteño, telling the Argentine teacher that 'no, in Buenos Aires they do it _like this_ and you are wrong', regardless of the respective level of expertise. They could use the facial expression of the teacher on moments like that in a movie about humans encountering alien life forms, I think.

To be fair, Berlin people are a species onto themselves, and probably a bit more Latin and certainly more mellow than people from e.g. Hamburg. I doubt the Argentines would survive an Argentine winter in Hamburg, they'd all get post-traumatic stress disorder when going back to BsAs.

Of course I am overgeneralising myself. Some Germans have actually been corrupted by outside influences and mellowed (or learned when to shut their trap), and there are as ever large individual differences in any population. Still, just two "extreme Germans" in a class are enough to make Argentine teachers shake their heads.

15. opendoor

Hi dchester, that is not my speak, I only picked it up. I also cannot judge if Berlin really is the secret tango capital. Though Berlin actually is not far away from my home town, I have more often been in London, Rom, or Barcelona. Berlin is located centrally and the flats are rather cheap, compared to other towns in europe. And spending the winter in Berlin does not mean that they are going to teach. Its more kind of a base for eastern europe. Sunday night two years ago I went to a very small milonga in the neighborhood of Kreuzberg and really was surprised finding a great deal of the Naveira gang and almost the entire second generation of DNI teachers dancing socially. That´s all I can say. Don´t know if tangueros/as from Berlin are around to make it more conrete?

Hi sixela, thank you for the frank words and for holding the mirror!

First I was shocked, than I bent over with laughter :cheers:

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I find that rather amusing, and *******ing..we Brits are far too polite at times :D

Isnt Portland the new BsAs?

17. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

A while back, someone told me that Boulder (Colorado) was the new BsAs, because Naveira moved there.

18. Steve Pastor

Now that I have been to Buenos Aires, I can tell you that until they (someone!) start teaching apilado "close embrace" again, Portland is NOT the new Buenos Aires. (I had one woman recently explain to me in great detail how you had to keep your own balance in close embrace. I know who her teacher is, and she's been around a long time, but there no longer seems to be anyone to present the other, weight sharing view. Except me, and that's not going all that well. And of course not everyone I danced with at Lo de Celia and El Arranque "shared weight", but it was much more prominent there.)

There's also the segregated by sex seating, which makes the cabeceo functional, that is missing in Portland.

And,the people who practically ARE the music becuase they've been dancing it so long, (the cool older people - there's a name for them isn't there?) I don't see them either.

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

zombies.. (sorry coudn't resist)

no apilado, how dire..and sad

20. AndaBien

Yes. As I've mentioned previously, it seems to be going extinct here too.