Swing Discussion Boards > Calling all hustle dancers!

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by SlowDancer, May 15, 2007.

1. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

wow...came across this thread a little late, but just wanted to say that I love hustle too! and so do alot of people at the different studios around town that I go to....not sure of the count I do it on because I just go with whenever the leader starts it. But I love a fast hustle with alot of spins...a slow hustle does nothing for me, but a fast hustle I can do really great at and I laugh the whole time it is so fun. :D

2. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Fast with lots of spins is what I like, too...it's so invigorating!:D

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

If it's too fast, the "styling" of the dance is taken away, yet if it's too slow, I can't do it!

I entered a Hustle contest once . . . with excellent music - all medium fast songs - and for the finals, the DJ played an exceptionally S-L-O-W song. I struggled through the whole song!

4. pruthe

pruthe Member

There must be a BPM range sweet spot where styling and technique are maintained, but it still looks snappy. Next hustle I do will be faster! I'll have to spec out my upper and lower limits.

5. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I prefer the slower ones. Most ladies aren't good enough to dance the fast ones and get very heavy and I get a back ache. I don't blame them though - they have a long way to go and a short time to get there.

6. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Lol! I have yet to figure out why I struggle when doing a slow hustle but look fabulous doing a fast(er) one!

7. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

lol! I have the opposite problem. Some of the guys at our studio just cant get fast enough to do anything but really slow hustle...and I have to hustle them to even get them to keep up!! Nothing like a guy bogging you down during hustle! (so i definitely can sympathize with you) Another girl at the studio and I do hustle all the time together and she leads better than most of the guys! So I usually either dance the quick ones with either her or my instructor. (She can keep up with me, but he spins me more; therefore he's my favorite. lol!) Either way, hustle is fun! Love it!

8. dansah

dansah New Member

For fast hustle: small steps, less rotation, avoid walks (which become runs). For slow hustle: more rotation, larger patterns with walks, struts, more of a pose for &1.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i like slow hustle... slow salsa... i like having time to stretch into the dancing within each measure... not that i'm so great at it... but i like working at it.

10. pruthe

pruthe Member

Having trouble dancing a slow hustle is probably not much different than having trouble dancing a slow waltz or some other dance. You really have to focus on timing and adjust accordingly. On the other hand, having trouble dancing a fast hustle has its own set of problems (similar to fast V.Waltz, Qstep, mambo, etc.). For example, styling and technique can suffer; large synchopated back step; lean of upper body.

Another issue is heaviness in arms between partners when changing direction. You can build up quite a number of Gs in arm hold when changing direction. I've had ladies who would have flown across the room had I let go. Somehow both partners need to work on maintaining their inertia so that Gs are minimized during fast hustle and still look good. Maybe if you can't do this, the hustle music is too fast.

These are some of the issues I've run into dancing the hustle. I keep looking for ways to improve for both slow and fast hustle.

11. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

well thats the funny part(in my case, at any rate). i have no trouble dancing any of the other slow dances. i dance a great slow waltz or slow foxtrot or bolero, etc. its just hustle that has to be fast for me to really get into it and do really well....just individual taste i guess. i enjoy it more, so i do better at it.

12. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

I really prefer fast tempos, too, but I do love the gorgeous styling some ladies can do with a slow hustle...

13. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

Technically speaking Hustle was meant too be Danced Fast, from its beginning till now, however a lot of the people who have kept hustle going(from philly, new york &new jersey) are in the 50"s so most of the big wigs so to speak dance slow(which looks good) but not so good when fast music comes on, im 50 so im only stating what i see, i can still move fast but if i did 3 fast in a row i would be tired, i wish someone would come along and teach the young like they do in west coast and salsa, but sadly there is no one, the hustle world is very closed and resistent too change. i do agree with you slowdancer some of the ladies look fab with the styling on a slow hustle.

14. noobster

noobster Member

Really? I am in New York City and I started getting into hustle recently. I've been to a few of the Lori Brizzi parties as well as the Monday practice at Dancesport. It didn't seem like an 'old' crowd the way the tango crowd is old. It was a pretty good mix of ages actually, from 20's through 60's I'd guess. Some of the dancers were very high-energy.

It did seem a lot smaller than the salsa scene, and not as many 'superstar' dancers (although some excellent ones for sure). And very noticeably weighted towards the LGBT end of the spectrum (actually the gay guys were the best dancers for the most part).

15. kayak

kayak Active Member

What is LGBT?

16. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

ahhhhh you have to read the context noobster, i also go to lori"s in new york and know her(this is a really cool dance because there are 3 rooms 1 for hustle 1 for salsa and 1 for ballroom&and you can get a drink and its right in midtown.all the founders of hustle are from 48-58, i dont consider us really old, and your correct, i"d say there are people at lori"s dances from 32 to 50 ish and thats cool im speakin of in general, a lot of young are (not coming) and they have not made a effort like salsa and west coast, i know a lot the the people personally and have been part of the crowd 8 years, lori"s dance is different, but overall the crowd in 3 states is 50ish, young girls love hustle,i dj and i have had seen many young girls at private partys&weddings do some form of hustle, but i repeat ther are not bringing the young in. in short they are very arrogant and do not train aprentices(im sure i spelled that wrong) so if someone is reading this and you want to start a new wave go for it, it can be done, its a great dance(needs some new moves and new blood) and maybe i"ll come to your class.......

17. noobster

noobster Member

Well, from what I've seen I agree that the hustle scene could definitely use some new blood. I don't really think it's an age problem, just a lack of interest across age groups for some reason.

E.g., the tango scene is definitely 'older' (average age in the 50s I'd guess, with plenty of dancers who look to be in their 60s or 70s) but very vibrant, with lots of dancers and many large, well-attended milongas.

The hustle scene (and again I haven't been doing it very long) seems to have more of an age distribution but the number of people appears small. I saw all the same faces wherever I went, and there were only maybe 50 of them. I've been trying to take a hustle class with Ed Britten at Dance Manhattan, who is an amazing teacher, and it's been canceled due to lack of interest for the second month in a row now. (He needs at least 5 people to keep the class and he isn't getting them.)

Lesbian-Gay-Bisexual-Transgender. It's a bit of an umbrella term but really what stood out in the hustle scene were the gay men. They were impressive, powerful followers. Looked nothing like female followers but were great to watch in a different way.

18. pruthe

pruthe Member

I think Hustle suffers from a visibility problem. I think most dance studios (except maybe in NYC/NJ area) don't put that much emphasis on learning it. My studio (independent) doesn't. We don't even have a syllabus anymore. They used to, say 10-15 years ago. I'm thinking of showing them a syllabus I found a couple months ago. Maybe that would start things rolling again.

It's interesting that the ladies that I dance hustle with really like it and want to do more of it. I've even shown it to some of our younger students (late teens) and they really like it. Its like if people are shown what it is, they think its really cool and want to learn more. But not enough people are being shown and the studios are not supporting it.

I think Hustle could be an endangered dance. If the people who are currently dancing it and teaching it don't do more to expose it to others, it could slowly fade away.

19. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Dancin d.j.-- from its beginning ( was at the very first congress for teachers in Miami area ) Latin Hustle was the original, and its tempo was med. to med. fast. probably 36 to 42 bars p.m. --" think ", Donna summer etc.One of the best c.ds , as most would agree, for L. H. was by Voyage .Might give you an idea of tempo if you can locate .

When 3 count appeared ( several yrs later, a bastardised form of triple swing ) the tempos took a marked increase . and of course, slower tempos always require more control, but, they allow for far more expression , musically .

20. Neil

Neil Member

I'm another hustle dancer checking in. My local teacher is Billy Fajardo. I also like to take lessons from Arte Phillips when he is in town visiting his mother.

It's funny that some people don't like to dance Hustle to slow Hustle music. I find that I sometimes end up dancing Hustle to slow dance music, the kind of music that might work for Night Club Two Step, or just standing around and hugging. I'm not sure what count I dance it on, though. I'll have to count it out the next time it happens.

I don't go out and dance it much though because we have a small Hustle dance community here. I wish we had more of it and West Coast Swing. Most people can only dance Salsa and Merengue. There is nothing wrong with Salsa, but I like variety. Tango is a distant second in popularity among social dancers, but so many good teachers come through here that I've decided to start learning it.