Dance Articles > Can a Dress Help You Dance Better?

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by BallroomSparkle, Jun 22, 2009.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think there are two situations here. One is competing or performing. If it's a good dress, which doesn't bring attention to your technical flaws, fits you perfectly and is comfortable and doesn't get in the way, then not only it makes you look better, it also gives you the confidence boost. Another is lessons/practice. Personally I see nothing wrong with wearing yoga pants for lessons or practice. I would say that's what I wear for my lessons 80% of the time, and about the only thing I practice in (I've been practicing in shorts lately because it's been so hot). I know what a skirt feels like, and I don't think I dance differently on a lesson when I am not wearing a skirt vs. when I am (if I did, I certainly would hear about it).

2. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I like this. And I agree. I always practice in yoga pants and will continue to do so. They are practical, comfortable, easy to move in, don't wrinkle when thrown in my gym bag before work, and they wash up nicely after I sweat. I would actually feel more hindered in lessons by a $200 Chrisanne practice skirt because I would be worried about stepping on and ripping it, etc. So, yoga pants for me.

However, I do make a point of dancing in my smooth or rhythm dresses prior to any major showcase or comp, even though I've danced in my dresses before. Especially for smooth showcase routines that I haven't danced in costume yet. I notice much more when my skirt spins away from my body, and comes wrapping around my legs, flys up to where I notice it in my peripheral vision, etc. All things to get used to BEFORE the big day. And I do feel differently when I'm in costume. The dress, the hair, the makeup, the "game day" shoes vs my practice pair...they all lend toward me wanting to dance better to match my look.

3. donavan12cute

donavan12cute New Member

yes , dressed up during dance is one of the major high lights in the front of many audience and specially to the judges. It feels me comfortable :)

4. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

It SO does!

A while back, I posted a few concerns and questions about a dress I had tried on...didn't end up with the dress, it wasn't meant to be. But then I found the dress that WAS meant to be, and swapped it out with the dress I was wearing in competition...

...I had been telling my pro for the last several comps that my dress didn't "fit" anymore - both physically, and emotionally. My last few comps in that dress he kept asking me what was wrong with my dancing, why I wasn't dancing like I did in practice (where, mind you, I danced in yoga pants.) I told him it was the dress. He didn't entirely believe me.

Until I got my new dress. And now, suddenly, I'm getting comments from my coaches like "you've danced better than I've ever seen you dancing before." I walk out onto the floor feeling confident and sexy and like I belong. All it took was the right dress.

As for yoga pants...um, the getting caught in the heel thing is an issue there, too. I think it's just a special gift. For example, the day I caught my heel high on the inside seam in the thigh (don't ask me how, it happened.) And ripped a four inch gash through the pants and along my inner tight. Ouch! Not to mention just a TAD embarassing! :oops:

5. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF!!

6. foxtrotgirl

foxtrotgirl New Member

Agreed! I always practiced in yoga pants and a flimsy camisole until a friend lent me her ballroom dress for a collegiate competition. I felt so different - I think dressing for the part really helps you to exude more confidence and the "feel" of the dance better. And the article was super informative about the types of dresses one can buy to cover one's flaws for now :)

7. karankundra

karankundra New Member

My first formal dance is approaching at skillkindle and I am totally clueless as to how to pick a dress. I have no idea what colors, lengths, and styles are in fashion, because I haven't had experience with formal dresses before.

So, if someone could give me:

1. Tips to locate and choose the right dress.
    2. Good stores to find fashionable dresses.

I would really appreciate any help you can offer me.

Thank you in advance for your answers =)

8. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Krankundra- is this a ballroom/latin/swing sort of event or more of general party? Are you looking for a dance dress or a regular dress?

9. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

I agree that the dancer makes the dress and not the dress making the dancer.I feel that a dress can make a dancer feel good dancing but its the dancers own personality,charm,infectous smile,charisma,style,thier inner feelings coming out for all to see making a dancer unique from one another. Now of course,good solid technique is a given in this description.

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I certainly think it helps

11. Riplash

Riplash Member

Being a guy, I only wear a dress for Halloween or some other goofy reason. But whether you are a guy or a gal, I think putting some thoughts into how you dress for the event (Not just dancing events either). Whether it is formal, informal, or whatever. Builds confidence, and I think the confidence makes a huge difference.

-Rip

12. MultiFaceted Dancer

I think everyone can Agree,Being in a Dress
    that makes a Lady feel Good and Fits Well can
    only can bring Positive Feelings of Self Confidence
    and that in itself will make you feel like a
    Better Dancer.

13. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Absolutely. In fact our mission statement on our website says pretty much that plus more. I will post one sentence from it. You are invited to our profile page to read the rest. This has been on my website since May 1, 2006 when we launched our business and I consider it timeless:
    "Having the confidence that you look good and feel comfortable lets you focus on what you do best, dance".
    This is also why I always try to wear dance pants when I do lessons. :)

14. MultiFaceted Dancer

Wearing skirts/dresses that allow freeedom of movement is extremely important in dancing.Wearing something that makes you feel elegant or sexy is important as well but in my opinion comes second to freedom of movement in whatever you choose to wear.

15. MultiFaceted Dancer

This answer still stands