Salsa > Can a girl teach a guy salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by charmia, Jul 15, 2009.

1. charmia

charmia New Member

I want to know what you guys (and girls) think about the woman giving instructions to the guy. When is it OK? How to do it?

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

It's ok if the guy is paying the girl for dance lessons.

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

It depends entirely on her background.. there are numerous world class coaches that are ladies...( all genres )

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Define a " prof " teacher ....

5. pielcanela

pielcanela New Member

sure, my first teacher was a lady, I trained with her for about 6 months. She was a good teacher and I learned a lot

6. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Easy assumptions/generalizations. Obviously, I'm most likley wrong ;)

OP is referring to a friend or a boyfriend (or someone vaguely inbetween) as the recipient of such lessons. Herself, or a close friend - someone who dances casually but has very little formal instruction in salsa, but comfortably dances in clubs is the 'instructor' in question.

Sounds like a variation of 'my bf is shy, and I like to go to clubs. how can i get him to go to clubs with me and try dancing with me. he thinks that he has two left feet (he actually does have 2 left feet, but i refuse to accept it and intend to change him)'

;)

7. azzey

azzey Member

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

Charmia, it's ok when:

- Someone in the scenario above, they're clueless and it's just for a few dances to get them going. If they like it you can always recommend a teacher's classes and then continue to dance with them. IMO it doesn't matter if they have two left feet as most people get better with classes and practice. In general: the more you stay with it, the better you get, as long as you are always learning.

OR

- Someone has asked you to teach them and you're qualified to teach them (and can do more good than harm).

Otherwise, if the guy is already dancing and taking classes avoid giving instructions. He either already knows what to do but is having problems with the 'how' of it or he hasn't learnt that bit yet. Either way he has enough frustration already without being told he's doing it wrong (which he should know about if you're following what he leads regardless of what you thought he meant to do).

Being able to follow an experienced leader, knowing how to lead and knowing how to teach how to lead are different things.

8. Erica

Erica New Member

Sure why not, I have helped both men and my best friend which is a girl salsa dancing, there is nothing wrong with that. Especially if the guy is open for it. Good luck.

9. salsamarty

salsamarty New Member

My wife has told me that when we are in a club lesson where there a number of beginners then it is very difficult for a follower to instruct a beginning leader.

On a higher level of experience, I've taken some excellent on-2 lessons from a woman teacher. As a leader with a lot of years of on-1 dancing it was very helpful to take lessons from a woman.

10. My personal opinion is definitely yes, a lady can teach a guy to salsa...she would just have to be very comfortable with the Leader's steps and leads....but if she is an instructor, then hopefully she is.

11. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

It's okay when she A) knows the steps and B) they're in a situation where it's appropriate to give instruction.

A means that she should have studied the dance from both the men's and lady's part. Simply having taken classes as the lady is not sufficient. She should have retaken the classes (and preferably private lessons as well) as both the leader and follower, and danced socially in both roles. While it is possible to provide instruction - even correct instruction - without this background, the chances of teaching things wrong increases drastically.

B means not on the dance floor, but somewhere he can concentrate on the instruction. It also means that he his receptive to the instruction and has solicited it, either as a formal student or has specifically asked the lady who is a friend or partner.

12. dance234

dance234 New Member

yes, i'm sure most male teachers have taken classes as a follow and have followed socially a lot

lol

13. suburbaknght

The good ones have.

14. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

Interesting, how deep the conversation has become. Technically, Salsa is a club dance. Depends if the question was mean't for teaching Salsa as a Ballroom Technically correct, figures, movement,timing, foot placement, latin motion or to help teach-learn some steps and movements for a club atmosphere. Now Mambo would be a different story.

15. suburbaknght

I'm going to nit-pick. Technically, salsa is a street dance. While club styles are defined as being largely improvisational, while based around a few core movements, street styles are adaptive versions of more formal and regimented styles of dancing. Thus, salsa is to mambo as krump is to hip hop. The elements of improvisation do not negate that knowledge of key movements is necessary, nor do they in any way diminish the fact that the men's part and lady's parts are very different things. In fact, the more improvisational a partner dance is, the bigger the differences become in the men's and lady's part. A salsa dancer in a club needs to be a much stronger leader or a much more aware follower than a matched couple doing their mambo routine at a competition. For this reason, a dancer who has only learned one side of the partnering will have difficulty teaching.

Take a class with an okay teacher and a class with a great teacher. You'll notice that when the okay teacher teaches the other gender, he or she will describe the steps, or at best will dance it and say, "kind of like that, but more masculine/feminine." A great teacher will demonstrate the step as naturally as falling off a log.

16. MultiFaceted Dancer

MultiFaceted Dancer Active Member

My point was whether the question was based on being technically correct or someone wanting to help a fellow dancer to dance salsa in a club atmosphere. Mambo, the point being is, it is a technically correct Official Ballroom Competitive dance mean't more to be taught by someone more qualified. If you mean a stronger lead for salsa in a club atmosphere being definitive, directional and timing wise that would be different than to lead someone stronger by muscling the lead- which throws the lady off balance- ultimately off time. I can follow both and salsa at a very fast pace and mambo. Good dancers- social or competitive don't need a strong muscle lead .Even the average dancer needs to follow on body movement and lead hints. All relative to how the Original question was intended. Some Lady instructor's back lead thier male students to the point that when they dance with someone else they can't lead. Of course that is not the case with most but it does exist.

17. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I had a few female Salsa instructor at my old studio. Most of them were teaching group and private lessons. But, their private students were mostly guys. And, certain time they had lady students when they taught about styling. So I guess what you asking here is not unusual.

18. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

I've been teaching my best friend (a guy) a little of the basics with the aid of a video, and he is actually picking it up. I was hoping just to get him comfortable enough to go to a beginner lesson with me, and get a feel for what social dancing looks like. He's actually already getting excited about it. :)

19. chynna16

chynna16 New Member

ha ha ha funny :D:D:D:D

20. sebi

sebi New Member

actually in zurich are several ladies who can dance both, and some can also teach both preatty good