Dancers Anonymous > Cancun Travel Question

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by TinyDancer109, Mar 20, 2013.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Hi All! In need of some advice from the travelers out there...

My BF and I are going to Cancun next month but we will only be there 4 days and 3 nights due to allowable time off from work. We definitely want to make the most of our time there though!

BF has been there a few times but this is my first time. He and I would really like to go see Chichen Itza and the cenotes but due to time constraints we would really prefer not to travel in a group tour and due to budget constraints we prefer not to hire a private tour...

So, we are considering renting a car at the airport (we arrive early and our room wont be ready yet) and driving to Chichen Itza/Cenotes our first day. I have read that it is a fairly easy drive, but I am more concerned about safety...

Has anyone on DF ever done this before? Is it safe? Is it an easy ride?

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

DONT DO IT take a bus tour 1.5 hrs each way over crappy roads TTRUUSSTT MEEEEE

3. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I, like other US servicemembers, am prohibited from visiting Mexico...I would be concerned about travelling through the countryside...

4. TinyDancer109

Thanks for the concern and responses. Has anyone here actually done the trip or just suggesting it would be a bad idea? Apparently it is a fairly common drive for tourists along a major highway, not country roads. I would really like to get some feedback from anyone who might have done it before whether on their own or via tour group...

5. Mr 4 styles

of course i did it which part of TTRRUUSSTTT MMEEEE was unclear LOL BTDT once driving once bus

but you can convince yourself otherwise is you wish:rolleyes:

BTW great salsa club in cancun AZUCAR at least it was there 5 years ago :D

major highway in mexico means one lane each way !!

danceronice likes this.
  6. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Tiny Dancer,

Funny you bring this up...we too are going to Mexico in early April and are renting a car too. One of the day trips on the list was Chichen Itza, figuring we could pick up a guide right there. When do you leave? If we do go through with it, I can let you know how it goes. I do hear the roads are a mess like Mr 4 Styles said and safety out in the country is a bit of a concern for me.

7. TinyDancer109

I am not trying to convince myself, i am just trying to get a little more detail than "TTRRUUSSTTT MMEEEE" seeing as how that is just a tad subjective lol.... i have read reviews on hotels, etc. for previous trips that sounded like that and turned out to be fine... details help (i.e. the one lane each way highway, thank you!)

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. TinyDancer109

We leave April 13th! :) When do you go?? Are you definitely driving there?? Please def keep me updated on what its like!!

9. Mr 4 styles

treid to sleep in the bus on the way back the second time

kept getting jolted awake by potholes wife was motion sick

10. njdancegirl

We go on the 6th, but don't get back to NJ til very late the evening of the 13th...it won't be in time. If we have WiFi at the hotel I might be able to post here. Our plan (right now) is to go that Wednesday. We thought we'd take the car to get to the boat for Isla Mujeres, Tulum as well as some water park near Tulum, but those areas are all closer to Cancun than Chichen Itza is. My dad went years ago and mentioned the highways being a bit of a mess; my mom went in September and said the bus tour was good - no complaints other than the heavy military/police presence making her a bit nervous. We just like the flexibility of being on our own schedule.

11. TinyDancer109

That would be great if you could but i understand if you cant! Thanks so much! Also, thanks for passing along info from your parents! I definitely agree about the flexibility issue.

12. njdancegirl

What did you end up doing?

We bagged Chichen Itza due to a pretty full schedule already, but did drive down to Xel-ha and Tulum, Akumal and Playa del Carmen. No issues with the car or roads and never felt unsafe for a moment while in Mexico.

13. Mr 4 styles

did you go dancing salsa at AZUCAR?? is it still there??

14. njdancegirl

No salsa dancing for me. Not sure if still there...where was it located?

15. TinyDancer109

Oh! We did the drive and much regret it!! Should have just gone with the group. In retrospect, it would not have been that bad and would have been quite an easy drive. But we were pulled over by the Mexican Police at a toll booth for no other reason than because we looked like tourists they could swindle some pay off money out of. Terrifying experience quite frankly even though we were never in any real danger. Ruined our whole day though because we spent The day at Chichen Itza worried we would get pulled over on the way back and wouldnt have enough money to pay him off because of the first time we got pulled over. Awful experience - not worth it!

16. Mr 4 styles

sorry to hear that...............

17. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Tulum is not nearly as impressive as Chichen Itza, but, as has already been pointed out, there is a paved highway with paved shoulders (and people expect you to pull over onto the shoulder to let them pass!).
    My friend and I drove down from Playa del Carmen after riding the ferry over from Cozumel.

There is also an "eco park" on the way where you can swim down an underground river, see staged performances of Mayan ceremonies?, watch the Mayan form of soccer where the losers lose their lives...
    I think this is it here...
    http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/mar2007.cfm

Of course I did this around 98?, but it certainly would be worth considering.

18. TinyDancer109

Should have listened to you, Mr 4 styles!! ;)

19. Mr 4 styles

I PROMISE ill never steer you wrong :rolleyes: