Dancers Anonymous > Car Dancers Club

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Kittyirish, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Kittyirish

Kittyirish New Member

Are you a Car Dancer? I am! I'm a great dancer with the tunes blasting, driving along, rhythm going...of course this is from the waist up! I wish I could do it on my feet! I think this is an underrated talent! :wink:

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

That's pretty funny! :lol:
    I can't say that I dance in the car, but I'm a good electric guitarist, drummer and singer (in the car). One day I was singer some stupid 80's love song while I was sitting at a light. I didn't realize a car full of teenagers had pulled up beside me. They started yelling at me and laughing. Good thing I'm older and can afford a faster car! :lol:

3. pcperez83

pcperez83 New Member

i am! wish i could do it from the wast down! lol

4. Kittyirish

Kittyirish New Member

Maybe we have a movement here!

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Car Dancers

Laugh if you want, but I've done some real practice on rib
    and shoulder isolations in the car, waiting at stop signs, etc.

When you get into dancing, it's amazing -- every place becomes
    a place to dance.

I had to draw the line at footwork drills on the highway, though. :)

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Re: Car Dancers

Hell, I've done those even while driving -- they are isolations after all! Does that mean I'm a member of this club too? :D

7. Kittyirish

Kittyirish New Member

Oh yeah! Welcome! Freestylers too! :lol:

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

And I thought I was theonly one to do this . . . I've got some strange looks from other drivers :shock:

I practice the rib isolations, but by far, I get the best 'looks" from doing a body roll or wave . . . my wife gets into with me, and we both do it to the tempo of the music . . . we llok great. Just ask me????

This is a good topic . . . let's hear from everyone who does this . . .

9. pygmalion

Vince A.

You're a genius. I tried a body roll today, and it worked! In the car.

Thanks for the suggestion.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

pygmalion,
    If you want to practice it more . . . get up next to a wall, tip of your shoes touching . . . put your nose on the wall . . . now roll all the way down the wall concentrating on each part as you go down to the knees.

Now, once you've got this . . . stop on the down side at the knees, and roll back up to your nose.

You will be an expert at bodywaves in no time. I have several moves, especially in WCS, that I use them with a partner. We "roll" against each other . . it is a leadable move, and they have nothing else they can do except a bodywave.

11. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Heeeeeeeeeeey, I do this all the time but I have limo tinting in my car so no one can see me. Maybe I should be proud of my car dancing and roll my windows down :lol:

12. Kittyirish

Kittyirish New Member

Yep, its a great cure for when I feel like a tremendous klutz! I made a tape with just car dancing songs on it and we take it out and cruise for a while. Okay, one of us does have his hands on the wheel! But he's a great full body dancer so I get the treat! 8) Kitty

13. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I have this cd that I burned called "Alyssa's Freak Booty Mix" (don't ask lol) that has old skool hip hop roller rink type music. Every time I put it on in the car I seem to get the strangest looks. Who am I kidding, I try to imitate hip hop videos.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

14. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've found the car to be a great place to listen to my Ballroom tunes. Others don't always understand my musical tastes.

15. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Most people when they ask what I do for a living don't even know what is classified as 'ballroom dancing'. They mostly think it's waltz. LOL.

ps. Frank Sinatra rules. 8)

16. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

If there were catagories for car dancers I'd be ranked with the best in world! It's one of my best skills (ranks slightly behind my car singing :lol: )

17. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

We should start a dance forums contest like American Idol/Dance Fever for the triple threat ballroom dancer/car groover/front seat singer. :shock:

18. pygmalion

Thanks Vince A.

I definitely will try this. When a former teacher introduced me to ripples, he had me stand with my back facing the wall, and I never did fully get the hang of it. I'm going to try your method. I'd love to add them to my WCS, among other things.

And speaking of WCS, any suggestions for how to get that grounded, sultry look? At the suggestion of my instructor, I'm settling into my left hip, to put a little more body weight into my connection, and I've eliminated quite a few coaster steps, but I still feel like I'm dancing on top of the ground, not into it. Does that make sense?

19. pygmalion

Vince A,

Thanks a bunch. I tried this today. And while I'm still not good (I look kind of like an almost-dead fish flopping on the boardwalk :) ), I'm a heck of a lot better than I was last week. I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the tip.

20. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

:D

I only listen to latin music ina the car now as I am trying to just hear the beat in the music so that I can count properly but have not thought to practice just upper body movements....hehe now that you all inspired me, I am going to try to practice the body roll in the car given my long commute since I am having such a hart time with it.... :wink: