Tango Argentino > Carlos Gardel

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DanceMentor, Sep 12, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I have a CD that I purchased with a collection of songs by Carlos Gardel.
    THe music is romantic, beautiful and tragic all at once. The music also has a nostalgic feel because the recordings are old.

I'm wondering if people like to dance to his music these days or if it's more just music for listening.

Also, any other interesting someone can share about Carlos Gardel?
    I know he was in some movies, but I've never seen one. Is there a movie that is easy to find?

2. will35

will35 New Member

I just checked Zivals.com. They sell music and things. They have no Gardel movies. Tangocity.com is an Argentine tv channel. They have some archives of Gardel singing, but no full length stuff.
    Do people dance to his stuff? I guess it depends where. There are little superstitions about at least one of his numbers "Adios Muchachos". If you dance to it, you will die in a plane crash like he did. I hope it is not too late for you Dance Mentor.
    I'd like a video of Libertad Lamarque or Mercedes Simone, too. If you find any tango videos like that, let me know. There must not be much of a market for such things outside Argentina. I have heard the dance numbers are short in those types of movies. It is mostly about the stars, and the stars don't really dance. Petroleo, for example, said Gardel knew a few steps, but that he was too fat to dance well. Just like his nickname, "El Zorzal". He did not need to dance, I guess. He was the tango. Most of the people I hear from like instrumentals to dance. They like unobtrusive singers, Alberto Castillo, Angel Vargas.

3. will35

will35 New Member

4. DanceMentor

I don't believe I have danced to Gardel's version. :p

It sounds like it's pretty difficult to get a hold of the movies.

I think my favorite is "Mi Buenos Aires, Querido". I've heard that people who listen to this song often take vacations to Buenos Aires. I hope this is true. :lol:

5. will35

will35 New Member

I mostly like his things with the guitars. Mi Noche Triste is good. Some of the waltzes are very good. Rosas de Abril I like. Or maybe it was Rosas de Otono. Intimas is a good tango. I like the zambas and other things, too. I heard all this on Todotango.com. I regret to say that I do not own a single CD with his music. I think his face is on every billboard in Buenos Aires. He is the most famous Argentine after Evita and Juan Domingo. Maybe before them. I even saw on Univision a guy who imitated him on a comedy show. There is a nasty little rumor that comes around that says he was born in Montevideo. Who knows? He would have made a good American personality, too. He never met his father and was born poor. He had a voice that never failed in its own style. He was a very professional person, but also had a good sense of humor. He was an immigrant who practically invented the way to sing the tango after the payadores. He was not a braggart, but you never hear a bad story about him. History has treated him well. He liked a good horse race, and Charlie Chaplin was absolutely in love with him. Like an Argentine Horatio Alger story.

6. Merysue

Merysue New Member

Hi!!!I´m Merysue, from Santa Fe, New Mexico.Gardel is amazing!!!! I discovered him just a few years ago. There are some films but there aren´tgood movies. Nevertheless, their songs, I mean, the music from those pictures are wonderful, as well as watching Gardel singing is wonderful. This guy sings from his heart, as Janis Joplin did, for example. There is a great DVD I ´ve recently bougth in this site: www.farolatino.com. I recommend it, is quite good. And I´m sure there is gonna´ be Gardel for ever!!!!

7. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Dance Mentor:

Oh, yes, Gardel is alive and strong at every milonga I go to here in Los Angeles. His recordings are played all the time, and are especially popular with the "old guard" tangueros. Yes, his music is very compelling. I think he still sets the standard for what vocal tango is all about, even to this day. There's also a "mystique" about him, as he died prematurely in a tragic airplane crash -- similar to the Ricky Valens plane crash. But even if you don't know his story, his music says it all -- an extraordinary voice, and extraordinary collection of songs that really embodied the spirit of tango. Even though I'm not that familiar with his body of work, you can always tell when one of his CD's is being played -- there's just something magical about him.

I think I read that he was one of those poor 'street' tangueros/singers, who muscled his way into the snooty society parties in Buenos Aires on the strength of his talent and "I'm not going away, no matter how you snub me" determination to become one of the most celebrated tango artists ever.

Renee

8. DanceMentor

Sounds like I need to come to LA and see how you do your Milongas there. ;) :)

9. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Are you KIDDING? NEED to come? Try HAVE to COME!! I'd love to meet you, and show you around to all my favorite milongas!!

Let me know when you're coming, and I'll have the trumpeters and maidens with rose petals waiting!!

Renee

10. gte692h

gte692h Member

gardel is incredible ! i have not yet danced tango, but one day I know I will. and i will make sure to dance one to his name..

!

11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome MerrySue. I agree with you, and yes DM. gardel is played everywhere, still.

12. Listen to "Goyeneche"

nothing more to be said.

13. maleva

maleva New Member

While Carlos Gardel is an icon - he is to Argentine people what Elvis is to Americans - his music was made for listening not necessarily dancing.
    Gardel is very famous and thus his recordings are widely available. You can find them in any record store and because of this many people think that they is popular for dancing. Actually, in my experience Gardel is rarely, if ever played in the milongas I have been to in America or in Argentina. In fact, he died tragically young in a plane crash in 1935 before the Golden Age of tango dancing in Argentina even happened. The golden age was from the late 1930s through the 1950s. This is when the bulk of recordings suited for dancing were made. The big orchestras were namely those of Juan D'Arienzo, Carlos Di Sarli, Osvaldo Pugliese, Anibal Troilo, Miguel Calo, Francisco Canaro, Angel D'Agostino, Alfredo De Angelis, Pedro Laurenz, and Ricardo Tanturi. The songs of these orchestras had strong, clear, steady yet complex dance rhythms. You do not find this in most of Gardel's music. Unfortunately these orchestras are not as well known to people outside of Argentina and therefore are harder to find in the record stores. All of the above orchestras played directly in dance halls and at milongas for the crowds of dancers during the golden age. Many these orchestras of the golden age also recorded danceable versions of Gardel's most famous songs - A Media Luz, Por Una Cabeza, Caminito, Tomo y Obligo, Mi Noche Triste - so if you want to dance to them you still can!
    If you want to read more about Argentine tango music for social dancing, Steve Brown has a really excellent web page on the subject here:

http://www.tejastango.com/tango_music_collection.html

14. Milonguita

Milonguita New Member

I actually dance to Gardel, and he is popular both for classes and milongas in my school, especially Mi BsAs Querido and Por Una Cabeza. And otherwise very much listened to.