Dancers Anonymous > Cat antics

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by nucat78, May 29, 2008.

1. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Post your cat craziness / annoying / etc stories here.

2. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Yay!

Ok story about my parent's cat. When they first adopted her we found out she is terrified of squeegees. We have this one little white squeegee and for some reason she saw it one day and completely freaked out.

I was holding her and I think it was my sister who showed her the squeegee and she got really tense, attempted to bite me and took off like a rocket.

What kind of experience she may have had with such an object baffles me!

:kitty:

3. lcdancesport

My current cat, Maya, will ONLY play fetch with the plastic zip cord you find on bags of frozen food. Nothing else will work.

Here's my little trouble maker, er I mean cat:

[​IMG]

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Seems like we used to have a cat thread somewhere... I guess it went to the thread graveyard. :confused:

My cat DJ is afraid of the dryer. It's odd because he pays no attention to the washer. Last night he was eating dinner (his bowl is in the laundry room), and as soon as I started putting clothes in the dryer, he ran -- he didn't even wait for me to start it up.

5. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

My cat is deathly afraid of the broom. I never have done anything to her with it, so I dont really know why (and I've had her since she was born). My parents cat, though, is an outside cat and they use their outside broom to pet him with (to get some of his shedding hair off) so if you show him a broom he is happy to see it and goes straight to it to be "petted".

My cat hates water and the tub when the water is on (I used to bathe her but dont anymore after this lovely scar I now have on the top of my wrist from one time when she freaked out while being bathed). Funny thing is, though, she loves to jump into the tub to get water. She has me dribble the water out of the faucet and she catches it on her tongue. I give her good water, but she wants the nasty county water. Go figure....

Also, when I am showering she jumps up on the side of the tub fartherest from the water and frantically meows for me to get out, like the shower is bad and is trying to hurt me. I have to dry my hand off and pet her and tell her I'm ok that I LIKE to shower and then after a bit she will go away only to come back later to attempt to "rescue" me from the horrible mean shower and its deluge of water. lol!

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

We've got two: The Fat one (Idget) and The Gray One (Fizzgigg).

Fizzy isn't very talkative. Except if I'm in the shower and I've left the bathroom door open. Then he'll stand there and squeak at me until I get out and pet him. The other thing he does (besides have an amazing ability to get directly underfoot), is when I'm trying to fall asleep and he wants attention he'll sit on the edge of the bed and stare at me. (I know this because I'll open one eye just enough to watch him.) If I don't give him any attention, he'll very gently reach out one paw and tap me on the face with it. He'll keep this up until I push him off or (usually) I start laughing...at which point he'll purr and rub his face against mine.

Idge is very talkative. Actually, he's whiny. DH and I like to play the game "Kick the Kitty." We'll tap him with a foot, and he meows rigth on cue. It's great. He's got an amazing ability to know when I've woken up. I swear, I don't even have to move or make noise, but as soon as I wake up he'll hop on the edge of the bed and meow in my face until I pet him. If the petting doesn't happen soon enough he'll walk over me, which isn't too pleasant given that he's about 16 pounds (and he's got an uncanny knack for standing on my boobs--why can't he every walk around on my back and massage it?). Sometimes he'll settle down on top of me, nose to nose, all purring and kneading with his paws. Other times he opts for my pillow. He likes to snuggle against something, as most cats do, so I end up with cat back in my face. If I move, he spreads out more. I usually end up with my head off the pillow (or on DH's), and Idge sprawled over mine.

7. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

My cat was afraid of the broom, too. I said, "That's right, it IS similar to the scary vacuum cleaner. You're a very smart kitty!"
    ;)

8. lcdancesport

That is too funny. My cat is VERY talkative. As soon as I move a finger in the morning she's right there meowing up a storm. Then if I ignore her, she'll purr and nuzzle right into my face and ends up sleeping right in my armpit. I hate when she walks over me too because it's right over the boobs, ow!

I also have leather couches so there have been times she tries to hop up on an armrest, missing her leap and paws for dear life to pull herself up, but usually ends up falling.

She also has an obsession for pony tails. If I'm lying down on the couch and my hair happens to fall over the side all of a sudden I feel that little paw batting at me, until she tries to bite my hair then she gets it all caught in her mouth. lol

9. Peaches

I ran across this thread the other day. The first post sums up a lot of my cats' oddness.

10. Me

Me New Member

Aww!

Is it... is it a bad thing that I caught the Dark Crystal reference? :confused:

11. Me

Me New Member

We adopt stray cats. So, we just never know what will turn up next.

Right now I have a black cat named Skimbleshanks who should have been born a dog! He doesn't run - He gallops! He doesn't walk... he lopes! He has huge paws and walks with his head hanging down. Half the time he jumps up onto something he loses his balance and his hind legs scramble underneath him. When I go outside he will dash from a far distance to be at my side, huge paws pounding the ground, and then he will follow me everywhere I go. He even drools when I pet him. (Ick!)

He is the most graceless excuse for a cat I have ever known! But, he is a really neat cat. :)

He has a strange fear of sunglasses. Anytime I come to him wearing sunglasses he freaks out and tears off into some direction, usually tripping at least once...

12. Peaches

Ha! No, don't think so. :) You're the only one who's ever gotten it. And if you think of Fizzgigg from the movie (adorable in his absolutely impotent ferociousness), you'll know exactly why he's got the name he has.

Our previous (dead) gray cat was named Nermal. I think only two people ever got that reference.

13. Me

Me New Member

Garfield!

Oh God. Why do I know this stuff? Somebody please shoot me now.

:D

14. Peaches

Our old cat, Nermal, used to drool when we pet him. He'd just settle in, purr, and drip. I thought it was adorable.

We also used to refer to him as a cat-dog. When my brother would come over, he'd play and rough-house with Nermal pretty much the same way he would with a dog. Albeit a small dog. Well, not too small--Nermal was about 17 pounds.

15. Peaches

OK, make it three people who have ever gotten the reference. :)

16. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

It probably has to do with that night ... when you were sound asleep ... and the broom attacked the cat without provocation! Well, unless you count batting at it a little as provocation ... or jumping up on it ... or sharpening claws on it. Fortunately, the cat barely escaped in time by leaping deftly out of the way, and the broom's ferocious attack landed harmlessly on the floor with a loud whack!

Anyway, the broom has held a grudge ever since, and it's just waiting for its chance to finish off the cat given a moment's unwariness. The cat is fully aware of this, thus the behavior you see. At least, that's my guess.

We don't own a cat, but we are friends with a neighborhood cat we call Miss Calico. Recently she seems to have decided that the inside of our house is part of her territory, as well as the outside. When she sees one of us coming home, she'll run up to the door and wait very patiently and politely for us to open it.

If she does manage to get in, she doesn't seem to take offense at being put back outside. She'll just sit patiently and wait for us to open the door again. It makes us feel very guilty, but unfortunately we're both allergic.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i had a cat that did that, too! cute...but messy.

"nermal"...what a funny name.

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

reminds me of something that happened last week...

a colleague of mine had an old dog who was having health problems, and he said before the weekend that he'd probly have to put the dog down.

when i saw him after the weekend, i asked him... with obvious sensitivity to what he'd already expressed was a difficult emotional thing for the family... how his dog was. his reply, without missing a beat, was just..."dead".

the juxtaposition of my concern with his simple answer was hysterical. we howled at the sickness of his humour...which is right in line with my own.:rolleyes:

as with all tragicomedy, it wouldn't have been nearly as funny if it wasn't so sad...

19. lcdancesport

A friend of mine has a cat who had its leg amputated. It walks perfectly fine and drools as well when petted. It's really cute though!

20. Peaches

When Idget was a really small kitten he broke one of his back legs and it was in a cast for about 7 weeks. We were kind of hoping it would stop him from tearing from one end of the apartment to the other in the middle of the night (you know, with us trying to sleep in the bed that was in his path)...no such luck. I swear, that cast didn't slow him down one bit. He could still run and jump just as well as before, it seemed...although he'd leave trails through the carpet where he'd been.