Tango Argentino > CE question to leaders-the CW giro, how do you begin it?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I want to get some more clarity on executing the CW giro in close embrace.
    I'm noticing that some tuck the right foot behind the left in order to set it up
    others lead a womans right front cross, etc., etc.
    I'm sure that there must be around a dozen ways to start it but I'm asking you for your favorite two ways to set it up.
    I'm wanting to narrow my focus down to a couple standard ways to begin these and I'd like to get sooo automated that I never have to think and they just trigger themselves spontaneously. I feel that I have the CCW well on it's way. I love the CW giro and I'm just trying to get an overview of other's favorite approaches. thanks:banana:
    PS: if a woman has a favorite way to be lead into the CW, please post about it!

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

CW means Counter clock Wise?
    Counry Western maybe?

3. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Clock Wise.

4. dchester

5. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Thanks dchester, that's the kind of reply that I'm looking for.:)
    The CW giro lead off of the back cross is a good one for me to remember.
    I usually feel a little clumsy with it however. The videos by Dario show
    him opening up and not being in CE when he leads them.

6. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

For a CW (Clock-wise?) giro, try initiating it from a front ocho.

7. Mario7

Mario7 Member

CEmbrace would probably require a front cross as in leading the ocho cortado.
    OK. thank, that's two on my list..any more??:p

8. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I've been working on CW molinetes for a while and I struggle with getting them perfect. I think my problem is that I want to maintain the CE (apilado) without opening it up. I can do what Dario shows, but yes, he opens the embrace to do it.

9. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

If you are doing in CE you should lower a bit, so follower can do bigger step.
    Extending your shoulder is also helpful.
    Some dance CE that is stiff, but I learnt that it's always being adjusted for the elements you are performing.

Pablo Rodriguez and Noelia Hurtado do those kind of turns.

10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Rotate to the left.

Um.

That's it.

11. dchester

Isn't that Counter ClockWise?

[​IMG]

12. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

I am with David Bailey - just turning works.
    A thing i like to do is faking an ocho cortado, give her the moment before leading to the cross to do an adornment, and instead of leading the cross turn right and make it a giro. When the follower is actually following it is a very nice moment when we together unravel the standard move in a different way.

Gssh

13. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Here it is 30 secs into the dance by Andres Laza Moreno in close embrace.

[yt]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HuM0qLEnC7E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HuM0qLEnC7E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/yt]

14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Her weighted on Her Right:
    lead "diagonal" "side step",
    followed by either a back step or forward step;

Her weighted on Her Left:
    lead "forward step",
    followed by side step;
    lead "back ocho"
    followed by side step.

Her in classic "crossed position":

weight on "straight leg",
    "unwind" the crossed leg to lead a side step,

weight on "crossed leg";
    "unwind" the straight leg and redirect it to lead a forward step;

One thing I found out in lessons was that often a simple "pre lead" "rock step" in the opposite direction you want things to go will give your partner some momentum, making your job as a lead easier. Think "fake ocho cortado" already mentioned.
    It helps overcome the "I can't do that from there" instinct that seems to kick in when you ask your partner to do things uncommon.

15. borisvian13

borisvian13 Member

Good point. I think it's essentially impossible to make the giro from Dario's tango guide 11 work in completely close embrace. In V-shaped, for sure.

Here's how you can modify this giro for completely close embrace. Just a make a back cross step instead of front cross step against her back cross step. Of course then the follower is led to do her back step much closer to you and the embrace is kept intact. The problem is that this requires a follower experienced in dancing in milonguero style, that is, comfortable with stepping at an angle rather than pivoting. Otherwise she'll try to do a huge pivot (an overturned ocho) and the embrace will be broken.
    Good luck with that:)

16. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Oh yes, I always get those confused.

In that case, rotate to the right :)

17. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Add "Make space for the follower to move into" and yeah, I think that's it. :)

18. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I think it's worth emphasizing that this actually works from any position, with the follower on any foot. You don't actually need to do extensive preparation or anything.

If you rotate correctly, and the follower follows correctly, you can start and stop a giro at any point. It's simply a set of pivots and steps, after all.

Sure, some points are more convenient, conventional, or smooth to start and stop on, but they're not mandatory.

Mind you, I almost never do a CE clockwise giro anyway, I find it a bit awkward.

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

i HAVE An image of one of those clockwork mice that turn left when they meet an obstacle :lol:

20. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

It is not, but you shoud have very good balance, and very good dissociation to create momentum for turning.
    Tango shoes are mandatory.

That was done quite poorly in the video.