Tango Argentino > CE question to leaders-the CW giro, how do you begin it?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Mar 29, 2010.

1. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

the actual vid is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKYHIK5HhW0

the other link looks like it was for some You Tube featured video thingy

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Ranting in the tango forum??? I must have missed it. What could it have been about?

:cool:

It's a very nice dance. I love some of Jennifer's footwork, and they both have great musicality.

[yt]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WKYHIK5HhW0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WKYHIK5HhW0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

3. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Musicality is quite OK. But he is so vague and insecure, and she seems that she dance figure (look at ney's torso and jennifer legs).
    She is too energetic for his vague movements and limp posture.
    So the performance seems choreographed which I dislike.

4. dchester

I'm not sure why you felt it was choreographed, but it didn't look like it to me. I thought Ney's tone matched the mood of the song, and Jennifer is known for dancing with attitude. I think it's what makes her special (not to mention that she is very easy to lead).

But hey, we all like different things.

5. Mladenac

Then it seems that they don't dance together. They dance on their own their parts.
    What I wrote in my previous post.

I could write an essay what I dislike, but I would sent a PM.
    If you would like, let me know.

I like the most the Mariángeles Caamaño dance.
    Her energy is extraordinary.
    If you want embelishments watch more Noelia Hurtado.

6. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

I don't like choregraphed performances either. I was there, it did not look choreographed to me. Their trademark is pretty much to improvise in the same way that dancers in Bs. As. do improvised performances at milongas.

Ney has some examples on his You Tube channel's uploads
    http://www.youtube.com/user/neymelo#g/u

and in his favorites
    http://www.youtube.com/user/neymelo#g/f

7. bafonso

bafonso New Member

They must have been really tired for that demo. I've seen they dance much much better... musically and technically.

My favorite video of them still is:

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h6YMpeJGg6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h6YMpeJGg6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Her walk is great, a pure joy to watch.

I've always been amazed at how sometimes she doesn't pivot on the ball of her foot but kind of twists a bit at the ankle level. She must have her reasons :)

8. Mladenac

@bafonso

check this video:

Some elements are the same.

Check softness of walking and movements, and circular fluidity.

9. dchester

This is one of my favorites as well, although I felt the song in the prior video dictated a more sedate mood, which is why I thought the musicality was good.

This song is more energetic, and thus, so was the dance. It is a great one.

10. dchester

Hmmm... First let me say that they are both very skilled. I liked what the leader did for the most part.

As for the follower, for the first minute or so, I didn't think her embellishments matched the mood of the song at all. It was so over the top and annoying that I almost stopped watching it. I'm glad I stayed with it though, because she eventually did tone it down some, and allowed her substantial skills to compliment the song rather than overpower it.

11. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Can you tell me why they are always looking at each others feet?
    Is it because the lead is mostly visual, or what?
    Certainly that is a BIG difference in the two dances.

12. Mladenac

Turn volume up, you should hear music better.
    And there are rhythm playfullness that she accentuate.
    All song is sharp rhythm playing.

She did later, but in other forms.

13. Mladenac

They are not looking at other feet. Their posture is little different.
    If they had been looking in each others feet they would have been late all the time.

14. dchester

From my perspective, you are confusing rhythm with mood. I didn't criticize anything to do with her rhythm.

The mood, one gets from the music is subjective I suppose, more about the emotion you feel from a song. She started off like it was a lively piece, which for me, it is not.

15. Mladenac

I am not so into musicality that determine mood of the song.
    BTW This song does not seem so timid.

Sometimes I don't like her embelishments, cause there are too many and to much of them.
    I agree with you that embelishment are to embelish, not to pollute. :)

16. dchester

Maybe that's a better way of expressing what I was getting at.

I think people get lots of different emotions from any kind of art. That's why different people can looks at the same thing and get very different reactions. Any feelings that you get are valid. They just may not be the same as what others get. That doesn't make anyone's feelings wrong, but just different.

Sometimes I can explain why I feel something, and other times my words are not able to completely express the feelings I get.
    :cheers:

17. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I wasn't enthralled by that other video either... It looked somewhat lethargic to me and usually I like them. Jennifer actually did LESS embellishment in it than usual although I'm not wild about the flexed foot bit around 1:15 and 2:05... it looks contrived.. But that's a personal prejudice.. I'm just not wild about the flexed foot embellishments on anyone.. they don't ever look like a natural movement stemming from something else.

18. Zoopsia59

I took her follower's bootcamp a few years ago, and she has VERY strong feet and ankles.. don't know how that plays into what you are observing.. just thought I'd mention it.

19. Zoopsia59

I spent most of the video with the voices of stage directors I've known in my head all saying "Find your light!" :rolleyes: If they had TRIED, could they have stayed out of the lights better? After all there was one point they drifted into a pool of light... must have been an unavoidable accident.

(My monitor settings don't help stuff like this... I have a CRT calibrated to do photo editing for print... which means its nowhere near as bright as the new flat screens that are popular. If I had it that bright, my prints would always be too dark from editing down the high key in the image)

As to her embellishments (what I could see of them) I thought they were fine with the music, but a little too much for the early part of a dance. Even when you are improvising, it looks (and FEELS!) better to start "small" and let things build as the piece progresses. If she had done all that stuff you disliked more toward the end of a song as the excitement built towards a resolution, you might not have objected to it as much.

20. dchester

For me, the reason that doing more (or possibly being more energetic) works well at the end of the song, is because, often the energy level of the music increases at the end of the song.

The dancers that I tend to like (among other things), will match the mood of the dance to the mood of the music. That's one of the things I most enjoy and admire about Chicho, even though I'm not that big of a nuevo guy.