Cha and Rhumba music recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by LindyKeya, Oct 24, 2003.

1. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

Hi all-
    I know Cha cha recommendations are currently being covered in another thread, but I am looking for some choices along with some Rhumba options for a medley. So, what are some great Rhumba songs, especially something that would be popular? And do you know of any Cha Cha songs that would fit well with said songs?

(Also, I once heard a Rhumba that was fairly middle-eastern in sound, like a belly-dancing song, and was in French. It was amazing! If anyone knows of anything like that, it would be great!)

Thanks in advance!

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Welcome LindyKeya,

Here's some good Rumbas:

Falling in Love - G. Estefan and Miami Sound Machine.
    Blessed - Elton John
    So Nice - Bebel Gilberto
    Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps - Doris Day

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I just went to a dance party where I danced rhumba to Turkish music...unfortunately have no idea what the songs were...I will ask around and see if I can get the songs.

4. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

One of my favorite Rhumba songs is "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin (from the motion picture soundtrack "Top Gun"). It's a 24bpm tune.

I also like "Windmills of Your Mind" by Sting (from the motion picture soundtrack for "the Thomas Crown Affair"). It isn't as much of a love song in its flavoring, but I love the constant references to turning which is so much a part of the beautiful Rhumba dance. It's a little faster at 28bpm.

Diana Krall's "Besame Mucho" is a very recent chart hit. Her version is a little slow for my liking, but a beautiful Rhumba song. If you can find a version with a strict tempo it would be popular.

"Calling" and "Cry" are other good Rhumba songs that have been on the pop music charts recently. They are 26 and 23bpm respectively. And there is the Destiny's Child hit "Emotion" at 23bpm.

As for creating a medley, I think there are lots of choices. One obvious choice is to use songs by the same artist. Another is to apply similar themes so that the two songs make sense together. For example, if you took Paulina Rubio's recent hit "Sexi Dance" as your Cha Cha tune, blended near the end into "Take My Breath Away" both songs have this breathless quality that would work nicely together. They also both have similar vocal tones.

But that's just one idea, there are many ways to put Cha Cha and Rhumba together. You have one dance about flirting followed by the Rhumba where the woman has, in a sense, succumbed to passion, making a nice combination for a medley. As long as the two aren't jarringly different it should work. For example, I wouldn't put J. Lo's "Let's Get Loud" in a medley even though I love it as a Cha Cha tune, because the shift to the love song would be too severe.

5. clawhite

clawhite New Member

My Favs!

Three Songs I really like for rumba:

California Dreamin' by Queen Latifah
    Hurt by Johnny Cash
    Death Letter by Cassandra Wilson

6. liangjz

liangjz New Member

R:

La Playa- Chayanne
    Casi un Bolero - Ricky Martin
    I like Mondo Bongo
    Antologia- Shakira

Cha:
    Tu y Yo- Thalia
    Mendez songs - no criminal, fiesta
    let's get loud - JLo
    Represent Cuba- slow, but can be nice to practice to.
    Come on Over- Aguilera

7. Medira

Medira New Member

Rumba:

And I Love her - Jose Alberto
    Sway - Bic Runga
    Hold On - Alan Frew

Cha Cha:

El Diablo Ando Suelto - Rey Ruiz
    Cama y Mesa - Orquesta la Palabra

8. la morena

la morena New Member

Now if there's one song I would never dance to....
    More like a song to cry to.

9. Brush Tap

Brush Tap New Member

The Wild Orchid soundtrack has some great dancing music on it... there is a great rumba (good for American style- maybe too fast for International unless it is slowed down)... it is called "Bird Boy". There is also a great samba (Elejibo), and a couple of good cha chas ("Dark Secret" and something else).

10. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

Was thinking the same thing, beuatiful song though.

R:
    Light my fire - Will Young

11. Kelior

Kelior New Member

Rumba:
    Falling into You - Celine Dion
    Wicked Game - Chris Isaak
    Es Por Ti - Juanes
    Lady (Hear Me Tonight) - Modjo
    Una Notte a Napoli - Pink Martini
    Fields of Gold - Sting
    After Dark - Tito & Tarantula
    Pyramids of Pleasure - The Triplets
    Cha Cha:
    Sugar, Sugar - Archies (Andy Kim)
    Arriba - Joee
    I Need to Know - Marc Anthony
    Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
    Baila Morena - Zucchero

12. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

The most incredible (slow) practice chacha (it's practically ringing in my ears): Light my Fire - Shirley Bassey.

T_E