Swing Discussion Boards > Cha cha cha...West Coast Swing...

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Catarina, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Catarina

Catarina New Member

While dancing a cha cha cha last night (on1), the lead asked me if I danced West Coast Swing. I do not. When I asked him what prompted the question, he just said, "it's just how you move."

Anyone care to give me clarity on where his comment may have come from? I've only watched a handful of WCS videos online & really like them, really like the style, but don't really know how somebody would have pegged my cha cha cha style as WCS.
    Sorry, don't have any videos of myself dancing to offer up.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

It may have vaguely resembled a coaster

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

One can do cha cha cha to west coast music and vice versa. As a person who really loves cha cha cha I can attest to that. Cha cha cha encourages playing with the music...it has that syncopation that a lot of west coast has. There are quite a few west coast dancers who have enjoyed cha cha chas with me...when they really don't do it. So, I can see depending on how you dance cha cha cha a person who deos west coast could think you might do that.

4. dansah

dansah New Member

It may not exactly be a compliment (no offense meant). Chacha timing is 4&1 emphasis on one. WCS timing is more even thru the "triple step". Not being a mind reader but the absence of the staccato rhythm in some followers' chacha does remind me of WCS dancing and I've noted that some WCS follows that don't do a lot of Chacha tend to slur thru the 4&1. BTW, chacha is an ON2 dance. You can dance it ON1 but it feels better and is meant to be danced ON2. So your leader might not be the best person from whom to judge styling. Again, since this is just guessing without much info, I don't mean to be harsh.

5. tangotime

A lot of Cubans would give you an argument on that topic--and-- it depends if its written in a Guajira rhythm , placing it on 1-- the original form of " Cha ".

Most of todays music is written in a syncop. "pick up note " bar-- but-- there are several recordings by various artists ( latino ) that have been recorded in the original format .

6. Catarina

Catarina New Member

there is no offense taken! I prefer to dance cha cha on2 by leaps & bounds, but am bound to the timing my lead will dance :( That makes sense about the accent on the triple step.

7. Catarina

Catarina New Member

Not sure what you mean by this? (not familiar with the term & to what it refers...)

8. Catarina

Catarina New Member

Hmmmm. I feel like I do mark/accent the syncopation clearly as I dance--I think it looks so neat when I've seen others dance it that way, and have tried to emulate that as I dance. Is there something in how break steps are done that could be similar between WCS & cha cha cha?

9. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

I disagree that CHA CHA feels better on the 1, i know Ballroom teaches on 2, i even know Tito Puente said the same thing(famous timbale player) perhaps the best bar non.but i disagree i think the 1 is more natural, easier to teach, to Anybody, right away, as a matter of fact im teaching tonight at the old Woodbine inn in pensauken now calle SAVOY, im teaching cha cha and dj, anyway, im not saying 2 is not very cool, i can do both but perfer 1, unless someone is really really good on 2.anyway like saggita has said sometimes west coast &cha cha can be done in the same song, way cool, im not sure what you dance like danash, but i or others could tell u if we saw what u do.

10. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

On 2 is how the music goes!

On 1 is just lazy!

11. tangotime

Basic in WC swing

12. tangotime

Thats not the issue-- ALL downbeats at the beginning of a bar are on 1-- the SYNCOPATION is what the dances " stress " is upon-- in this case ( if written with a "pickup " between the bars ) is 4 and 1--- IF its Guajira, then the syncop, is contained IN the bar-- as in 1, 2,--3 and 4 ( originating from triple Mambo cha,s origin)

13. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

well in your opinion, but your ballroom trained, (so was i in the past) im someone who like"s to bet people in the sense of put your money where you mouth is. here"s my bet. lets go anywhere in the world and you teach cha cha on 2 for 30 min to a group of people and i'll teach on 1 to a group of people(who are not dancers) i'll bet you 10, 000, my people will dance cha cha pretty much right away, while your group after 30 min will still be confused of how to break on the 2.people say the same about salsa, its supposed to be on the 2 and its called mambo, you purists crack me up, i've dj in princeton for all latin dances and watched so called well known latin teachers teach on 2 mabo /salsa whatever you want to call it(i teach salsa myself) and i watch as the dj these teachers who teach on 2, and by the end of a hour out of 80 people taking the class i think 5 are dancing on 2, but i"ve taught on 1 at princeton(and others) and seen people doing on 1 right away. im not saying on 2 is not (right) is just harder to learn straight up, it may be lazy but if people are havin FUN and some of them looking good who cares? only purists.

14. chachachacat

Who cares? They are doing it wrong! They are not dancing to the music!
    All you have to do is hold one, step two. Big deal.

Then I get those students who want to learn cha cha and "they know a little", which is progressive, and "12, cha cha cha."
    Now, YOU take these folks and teach them the right way. Then you have confusion.

If I had to teach a one-time only large group, I'd make it as easy as possible , but I would not foxtrot with the timing!

15. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

i still disagree there not doing it wrong, just a tempo break in the timing,do u play a instument? i do for 30 years quitar & bass, its NOT out of timing, and as a footnote watch line dancers here in philly do cha cha line dances on 1, they been doing the dances for 30+ years i've never heard anybody say there out of time(not everyone who does the line dances ) but as a whole. why teach them on 2 right away? most folks do NOT want to learn Ballroom.ps i like Ballroom.

16. chachachacat

Okay, fine. You teach your way and I'll teach my way.

17. tangotime

What musicians play and what dancers DO are not related in the same sense -- once again-- in TODAYS music by and large, the syncop ( youre a musician ? )is 1,2,3,4 AND 1,2,3,4-- thats a musical fact NOT an opinion

If youre talking Guajira ,as I stated -- different musical construction.

And PLEASE-- dont quote Line dancers, in general - what they know about dance structure is like comparing dancers to bowling .( Ive taught enough of them to know ! )

lastly, I dont mind what anyone teaches the break on, as long as they realise that there is a difference , and are doing it for specific reasons ( expediency ) but should ALWAYS tell their students why .

18. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

It seems to me that having some of these around would be good for ear training. Can you provide specific song examples, preferably those which are readily available on-line?

19. tangotime

I doubt many if any are on line ( a DJ as well as a teacher so have a library of older stufff )

heres a couple of song titles--- the " classic " Guantanamera " recorded before '56, and there are other recordings in the same timing . Plus . a CD-- " The Music of Cuba " has several, notably " Guajira Habana " .

If you want more-- go to " descarga " the NY distibutor has a wide variety ,

it may sound very much the same to the untrained ear, but you will hear the distinct syncop. if you listen closely .

The old triple mambo has its syncop. in the same bar structure, which is primarily a Son Guajira rhythm--- slowed down-- became Guajira which became Cha ( with syncop change )

The Guajira is danced fairly frequently in some of the clubs in Tampa ( lotsa Cubans )

20. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

tangotime i know you have experiance with teaching, (so do i ) as its seems chachacat does also.i also know you"ve taught more people than me, my problem is NOT letting people know the difference, my problem is when you, and others come from lets say(proper tech viewpoint) which i know is valid, and i dont disagree from those Facts or rules, its just you& others dont see most people do not care outside of ballroom or other dances(they want to have fun) and they want it easy. so let people dance on 1 or 2 Back to chachakat im speaking to, unless you all want to go up to millions of people and tell them there wrong and there having a good time is not valid.