Salsa > Cha-cha = Crossbody?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by BugBear, Mar 12, 2008.

1. BugBear

BugBear New Member

I haven't been to parties abroad, but from what I've seen in my country, whenever there is cha-cha playing at a salsa party, everyone is just dancing crossbody salsa in the cha-cha beat. Is this wide spread or just some local phenomenon?
    At the last party I saw a couple that I have never seen before. And when the DJ played a cha-cha it was obvious that they had danced ballroom before. It was very different from all the other couples that were on the dancefloor, and not a minute into the song they had more than half the floor for themselves. She was with somekind of backless top and by the end of the song it was all tangled up, but she didn't seem to care. Anyway, they looked waaaay better than all the other couples.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Included in ALL American style Cha,s-- its a VARIATION-- NOT a style.

This " style " myth has been perpetuated for some unknown reason ( usually, they say its a distinction between LA and Cuban-- but its danced in both )

danced in Mambo before salsa was even known .

Also danced in Waltz and F/trot .

3. sweavo

sweavo New Member

(I think Tangotime might be talking about a "cha-cha step" which is not the same as "cha-cha-cha" music.)

Yes, lots of people dance regular slot salsa on 1 to cha-cha-cha. Either because they don't know how to cha-cha-cha or because they don't hear the rhythms clearly enough to be able to tell it's not a regular salsa/mambo track. Nothing wrong with that, but as you noticed, dancing the appropriate dance to the music looks great! Feels good too!

4. tangotime

Thanks Steve -- didnt catch that-- now I think I know what they mean--(?) but re reading it-- i believe the reference was to the " style " the couple were dancing-- which sounds like it was Intern. Cha (NO cbl )

5. sweavo

sweavo New Member

Agreed ... and that will be why they stood out so much against a backdrop of on 1 salsa dancers!

6. tangotime

Does the words " sore thumb " come to mind ?? :rolleyes:

7. BugBear

BugBear New Member

Don't know what Intern. Cha is, but it definetely was no CBL. And "standing out" is an understatement. I just stood there watching them dance like they were at some ballroom competition or something. It was great!
    I really love listening to Cha-cha, but I can't dance to it. Lately our instructors started teaching us some cha-cha in classes, but it is just CBL moves in a different beat. And I don't have the time, and the finances for that matter, to go to ballroom classes to learn proper Cha. :(

Sore thumb?

8. tangotime

Guaranteed it was Intern. style-- not the kind you need for " club " socials-- you may be taught to dance breaking on 1-- thats ok -- it will fit well .

9. BugBear

BugBear New Member

Maybe I should've posted this video in the beginning, just to avoid any missunderstandings. :)

10. tj

tj New Member

It looks pretty typical for what you'll see in my local scene regarding cha cha, off time dancers included.

The majority of salsa dancers do tend to just translate our salsa moves into cha cha timing. I'm guilty of that, myself.

I did take several workshops by (forgotten his name... but has a ballroom background. will update this later if I can remember) who definitely danced it with a lot more styling. Never quite felt comfortable dancing it the way he did. Felt a bit "over the top".

(name of the instructor - Salomon Rivera. will try to find some YouTube vids, so you can see what I mean)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XMjU6wjLM0E
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=lPg2THysXOw

11. tangotime

The song was fine-- as usual-- dancers who were totally confused with pretty much everything-- not a "sound" basic concept in sight !

12. sweavo

sweavo New Member

As in "standing out like a sore thumb" maybe that's a brit. thing :)

13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:shock: :nope: Thanks for being honest TJ ;)

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I do translate cha cha cha moves into salsa, but don't see any harm in that. I make sure that it fits the music, which is what is important IMO

15. tangotime

They are all from the same "parent "

16. kayak

kayak Active Member

Interesting, in my part of the US west, salsa and chacha are very distinct. Not that they don't have lots of similar turns, but they don't blur together much at all. Almost everyone does tone down the ballroom styling social dancing. I agree with TJ that it feels over the top for most guys if there is too much styling.

Why do you think the salsa dancers don't know other dances? Salsa is fun and all, but I get kind of bored doing one thing all night.

17. Josh

Josh Active Member

Salomon is a super nice guy, very generous, and a pleasure to be around; and he is fun to watch when he dances. His particular style is not really very ballroom-esque; the body action is actually very similar to most club salsa, and this style would probably fit in very well at a salsa club where a cha cha was played! His style is good for him, but it's not really a polished cha-cha like you would see top pros at a competition doing.

18. SalsaTO

SalsaTO New Member

Salsa Turn Patterns in Cha Cha

Since the On2 crowd is growing, a lot of salsa instructors are teaching cha cha to complement their On2 lessons. In fact a few of them have put (On2) in parantheses behind their workshop titles. A lot of die hard salsa fanatics do not like to do cha cha or merengue or anything else except salsa. So this may be a way to get a few of them in.

If you start moving to the music with three steps(leader walks forward) and count "one, two, three" then put in the "cha cha cha" or leader's right-left-right and start the "one, two, cha cha cha, one, two cha cha cha" that should put you on the same timing the ballroom/dancesport folks use for their cha cha cha. Apparently stepping off this way uses the music in a similar way that the On2 crowd uses their music, hence the connection and the apparent affinity.

Once the feet are working, one can execute a lot of salsa turn patterns. the only thing that slows them down or 'pauses' some of the patterns is the 'cha cha cha.'

While the cha cha purists wince at this, it does expose a lot more people to the music and to stuff that is infinitely better than 'Watermelon Man.' The salsa people can use a lot of their turn pattern. It's just adjusting the feet. And I've even seen some of them do the 'body styling' thing - a la west coast swing or even hip hop to cha cha too. Sort of distracting as the music really doesn't go that way, but at least they are not sitting out the music.

19. tangotime

As the latinos " wince " at what cha looks like to them !

20. tj

tj New Member

My apologies for the mis-assignment of his cha cha, then.