Country and Western > Cha-cha formation dancing

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Quimbly, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

A few years ago, my wife and I lived in the midwest. Specifically, we were in south-western Iowa. That was a real experience on it's own, but a story for another thread. Anyway, one of the idiosynchracies of the area seemed to be that when people danced the "cha-cha", it was a couples formation dance! Basically, it was a line dance that people did as a couple.

Imagine my surprize when my partner and I heard some cha-cha music, went to go dance one, and were pushed off the floor by a huge mob of format cha-cha couples! Very interesting!

Just wondering if anyone else has more experience with this. Is it common in the midwest, or elsewhere in the US? Are there other dances danced like this, danced in couples line-dance formation? etc.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Samba Line Dance

At the studio in Tucson I go to whenever a samba is played most everyone who gets out on the floor gets up for a Samba line dance. Not many doing a partnered Samba.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow. When I read the thread title,I thought you were talking about cha cha formations, which I've done. What you're talking about is different, IMO. :?

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I can't say that I've traveled extensively around the US, but I've been to enough places where they dance country to believe that the following is true. The dances that are popular at any given club are heavily influenced by what the local teachers decide to teach. If for whatever reason they like a cha cha couples line dance, and teach it repeatedly, and people take the lesson, and learn it and dance it, it becomes part of the local scene. When I hear a song I've learned any given dance to in a different town, or even a different club, I now wait to see what is going to be danced before getting on the floor.
    Here in Portland, OR where I dance, Travelling Cha Cha a partner dance, is the most commonly danced cha cha, although a few couples will do other kinds of cha cha in the middle of the floor.
    Which brings this to mind. If "formation" or line dancers (It's the same thing, right?) take the middle of the floor, you should have space in the corners or along the outside of the floor, and they "should" accomodate you. Mid Westerners are usually pretty polite.
    Steve

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . to add to what Steve (above) just wrote . . . go over to the DJ, and remind him to control the floor and remind others that not everyone does the same dances.

There should always be a section of the floor for couples, or small groups, to do different dances . . . and if the DJ won't or cannot do that . . . find another dance place, OR you could just get out in the middle of them and do your thing, but be prepared to throw a fist or two - the latter not recommended!

6. Spitfire

What is meant by traveling cha-cha?

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

There are SO MANY . . . one of the most popular is the "Cowboy Cha Cha"

It moves counter-clockwise around the perimeter of the floor, and all the couples do a choreographed movement in unison, repeating it all the way through the song.

When I first met my now wonderful wife, I taught her this dance, and of course, we got so good at the dance, we were inventing new moves to it - like quadruple spins in a part of the song that has a very slow 1/2 turn. Other parts of the dance we re-arranged as well!

It's a fun dance . . . the first few times . . .:cowboy:

8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I've only danced in one area, Orange County. Here we're taught the Cowboy Cha-cha which is a choreographed partner dance that progresses along the line of dance.

I've been taught in both country and ballroom that progressive dances are done in a circle along the outside of the floor, slower couples towards the inside of the circle, and spot dances can be done at the same time in the center of the floor. So when a foxtrot plays, the foxtrot dancers circle around and the swing dancers are in the center. Also, at a country night they played a few cowboy waltzes and a number of couples took the center to do the Queen's Waltz, a partnered choreographed dance.

9. gracie

gracie Active Member

I recently went to a CW competition and there was a Waltz line dance competition. Had never seen this before; anyone?

10. Spitfire

Waltz line dance? first time I've heard of that.

I've heard of the cha-cha slide, but am not actually familiar with it in that I've never seen it done.

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

There are dozens of cha cha line dances, most notable is "Cruzin," and there are also several for Waltz, the only one I know being "Waltz Across Texas."