Country and Western > Champaigne Polka - 1945

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Steve Pastor, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Stick around for ...
    "the graceful dancing of BLAIR AND DEAN"
    Billboard Oct 20, 1945 Soundie Program 1216

Welk isn't C&W but, it DOES say polka for this section.

And, as the 50s wore on, Welk at the Aragon was competing with Spade Cooley at the Santa Monica Ballroom.

And, can you say "breakaway?"

Anyone ever hear of these two dancers?

2. Steve Pastor

Oh, and since we're talking polka.
    I always thought it was strange the Bill Haley could have a western band in the Philadelphia area in the late 40s, early 50s. It turns out that there was a VERY active western scene in that part of the country at that time. There IS a distinction to be made between country and western.
    One type of song the groups played and recorded a lot of were polkas.

And in LA, in 1980, one of the country western dances that was the 2nd most popular (behind two step) was... polka.

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

4. Steve Pastor

Apparently that instrument (along with others) was too fragile to make the trip to the US.

Frankie Yankovic the Polka King (not his best, but...twin accordians!)

And, we learn that in Guadalajrara the Tango is passe!

Pee Wee King

Yodeling Bill Haley

Haley kept an accordian player when he had the Comets, and also had a steel guitar player.

5. Steve Pastor

After watching this I want some brats and beer.

opendoor likes this.
  6. opendoor

This group claims that the number is growing http://concertinaclub.org

7. Steve Pastor

Last night the dj mentioned that the instructor for the lesson was Polish. So, after the lesson I asked her why polka was never taught at the "Dance Hall and Saloon?"

8. opendoor

The polish had to learn the polka the same way like the argentines once had to learn the tango. But, destite it´s name the polka is of czech origin. Also the ore mountains (that is the area where bandoneon and chemnitzer first were manufactured) border on the szech republic. So acquittal for the instructor.

9. Steve Pastor

Polka dancing enjoyed a resurgence in popularity after World War II, when many Polish refugees moved to the US, adopting this Bohemian style as a cultural dance. Polka dances are still held on a weekly basis across many parts of the US with significant populations of central European origin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polka

No matter where it actually started, the Polish connection is reinforced in my mind every time I go to the Polish festival in September here in Portland. And so it was whre I grew up in Western Pennsylvania. And like I wrote, at one time it was a popular part of country western dancing.

opendoor likes this.