Ballroom Dance > Videos > Championship Ballroom Dancing 1983-1996?

Discussion in 'Videos' started by DancingMommy, Aug 20, 2007.

1. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I've got an email in to WGBH, but does anyone here have any info on this?

I've successfully captured 1997-2000 from my VHS stash, but I'm at a loss for anything earlier. I'm willing to share... ;)

2. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I don't think WGBH ever published videos for that series. In a recent FAQ (within the last year) they indicated that clearing the music rights for reproduction was too costly for them.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Who was in the 1997 Standard final and how were their placings? I might have 1996, possibly even 1995.

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

finals

Joe-- I believe that was the last yr that Timothy and Michelle danced .( Masons ) . They have a school in Tampa-- might be able to help .

5. DancingMommy

I got a reponse from WGBH - they said that they don't offer it for sale, but they sometimes make it available for educational purposes. Here's hoping they let me get a copy (fingers crossed).

As for who was in the Standard Final in 1997, it was:

Timothy & Michelle Mason
    Nick Cotton & Maria Hansen
    Igor & Irina Suvarov
    Rauno & Kristiina Ilo
    Stewart Cole & Masako Yamada
    Gary & Diana Macdonald

Showdance 1st Place: Nick Cotton & Maria Hansen

Standard Placements
    6th: Gary & Diana Macdonald
    5th: Stewart Cole & Masako Yamada
    4th: Rauno & Kristiina Ilo
    3rd: Nick Cotton & Maria Hansen
    (placed 3rd in all dances)
    2nd: Igor & Irina Suvarov
    (placed 2nd in waltz,1st in tango, 2nd in v. waltz, 2nd in foxtrot & 1st in quckstep)
    1st: Timothy & Michelle Mason
    (placed 1st in waltz,2nd in tango, 1st in v. waltz, 1st in foxtrot & 2nd in quckstep)

6. reb

reb Active Member

fascinating . . .

Thanks DancingMommy

7. DancingMommy

No prob. Another bit of trivia is located at DanceVision. If you go to the buyer's guide/resources area, you can find a listing of all former US Ballroom Championship title holders. It goes back to the 60s. What I CAN'T find is a similar listing for the OSB. You'd think since it has been televised for ~20 years, it would have those results SOMEWHERE out there on the interwebs.

8. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I might have copies of late 80s/early 90s. I will be traveling home next week, and will look for them. If you PM me, it'll help me to remember. :-?

9. swan

swan Member

1997 - where were Victor Veyrasset/Heather Smith & Jonathan Wilkins/Katusha? I know in 1996 Blackpool both couples were there. V/H might have retired.

10. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

I think I have the same years. Iirc, Jonathan Wilkins and Katusha were in one of those comps. If it wasn't 97, then within a year or two either side. They're on one of the tapes I have.
    (Since my VCR hasn't been connected in years, I haven't seen them. At one point, a friend of mine digitized my tapes, and was supposed to give me dvds of them, but then he got engaged. . . and yeah.)

11. DancingMommy

They were in Miami @ USBC. ;)

United States National Professional International Standard Champions
    1998-2002, Jonathan Wilkins & Katusha Demidova-New York
    1993-1997, Victor Veyrasset & Heather Smith-California
    1992, Victor Veyrasset & Kathryn Schaffer-California
    1991, Stephen & Elizabeth Cullip-Washington
    1987-1990, Victor Veyrasset & Cynthia Dostal-California

12. xox1234xox

xox1234xox New Member

Does anyone have a complete performer list/song list from the 1996 and 1997 specials? I saw one of the specials years ago and all that I can remember is that Barbara Eden of "I Dream of Jeanie" fame was one of the hosts.

Thanks!

13. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

welcome to DF xox1234xox!

14. xox1234xox

xox1234xox New Member

Thank you, pleasure being here :)

Oh, and btw, if a performance list has been published, I would be appreciative.

You see, I had a VHS homemade copy of one of these specials (I can't remember which one), and I have either lost it or accidentally destroyed it. It's okay, because my reception wasn't so great that night lol.

15. xox1234xox

xox1234xox New Member

If this helps, I do remember a dance routine involving a couple and a wooden chair. I can't remember the name of the song (although the singer's voice reminded me of Lou Rawls) or the name of the couple.