Country and Western > Changes in Triple 2-Step?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by kayak, Jan 19, 2007.

1. kayak

kayak Active Member

I learned the dance with as walk, walk, triple left, triple right with the triple steps being chasses. I have been told that there is a trend towards having the feet pass on the triple steps? I was wondering what you know about the change and if anyone has a video link to some good dancers using that style? I'm curious about how different it looks or feels?

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I know there have been changes . . . just not sure what they are . . . however my wife and her Pro got told on no uncertain terms that the new stuff was in, and what they "were doing" was wrong. So, as politics go, they had to take privates to get the changes.

Something is going on with the feet . . . I can ask her tonight when I see her at home - as I'm at work doing all of this laborious work!!!

Also, a lot of sway is being incorporated . . . some sway is part of the dance, but now it has to be pronounced, but don't take that as gospel until I (or you) can find out.

I would imagine the new rules for it is available on the .ucwdc. Website . . . for the videos - not sure what to tell you, but I do have a video of my wife and her Pro doing it at Worlds's - they received a Gold with Honors for that effort . . . don't know if I could load it up for your perusal??????? Maybe on YouTube or make a copy and mail it to you???? Not sure I want to get in that habit, but every now and then is OK, I guess.

3. kayak

kayak Active Member

Awesome, the changes must be happening basically just as we speak. It sounded like some of the pro-ams had made the switch and some were about to? Is it supposed to make it a smoother dance?

This will be interesting. I haven't been dancing that long. So it will be really funny when someone says "His style is so 2006" :D

4. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

The pro I danced with during my brief stay in Houston (Gerald Morris) showed me how to do the new style...it's hard to describe but, yes, you do pass your feet. The thing that really makes it different from the old school triple two step is that there is also some body shaping involved, much like in waltz. Sounds really weird, and I'm not describing it very well, but it looks great when done properly, like a whole different dance.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Well, I think it has already happened, as Care got dinged for it last May, but back then, everyone was just getting the word. So, Care and her Pro got with the guy that writes the rules, and asked him for the "corrected stuff" in a set of privates.

Basically, the WALK, WALK, TRIPLE, TRIPPLE is still there as the basic, but the patterns are evolving like WCS has evolved from the straight-up look to what it is today . . . and, (Care is watching me type this) she adds, that there are more french crosses and chasse's with more Waltz-like shaping.

Yes, it will be much smoother . . . less of a cowboy/western look! You'll like the changes . . . and yes, you will be so '06ish!

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I believe you hit the nail on the head . . . you did a great job of describing it . . . if you'll notice above that my wife said the exact same words . . . "shaping" . . . "waltz" . . . and I agree, it does look like a different dance to me!

7. kayak

kayak Active Member

Wow, there is probably a lot of money to be made with all those private lessons. I should rewrite a dance :D The competiters in my area had someone come out spring of last year as well and then another special training day in December. My experience competing is pretty limited. Several ladies I know like competing. So they talked me in to being a partner a couple times; those things I never thought I would do.

I only learned the dance a little more than a year ago. Since then, I have noticed several couples with a lot more styling and less of the upright 2-step look. I just thought they were a ton better than me. Of course, they are a lot better, but also had probably switched styles.

Cool, I'm always game for learning something new. Beyond body shaping and making the dance even bigger, are the turns and patters similiar?

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"Wow, there is probably a lot of money to be made with all those private lessons. I should rewrite a dance :grin: "
    Many a true word is spoken in jest.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"Most" of that part . . . is still the same, although those patterns look better with the now more-pronounced shaping!!!!!!!!

10. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

Triple is becoming such as awesome dance!! Quickly becoming one of my favs. All of ya'll have explained the changes much as I would have. A couple of things that I would add:
    ~I think of triple now as a smooth dance. Body flight and shaping the turns (making for a lot of pivot turns) are the reason for this. Also, staying down in your legs and driving. Sounds a lot like waltz to me! =)
    ~I have found that most of the patterns and such are the same, but re-working those patterns takes a lot of thought. As in how to incorporate new footwork and shaping. Also, once all of that work is done an old routine will feel like a whole new one! haha

11. kayak

kayak Active Member

So does the body shaping still occur with the fast triple step songs or is the trend towards slower beats that give time for shaping?

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I agree with some of what you said except that Country Waltz is more side to side than American Smooth Waltz, and is a little bit more progressive than American Smooth. I would also like to add that the triple step is more like Swing than the Waltz while the two step is like the Foxtrot (to a certain degree). But the triple step is a counterpart to American Smooth even though many things are very different about this kind of dance which includes the feetwork. But even with this said, it is becoming more Ballroom like, so I'd say give it time before Country does evolve into Ballroom dancing.

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I hope not . . . some cleanup is nice . . .

I believe that the UCWDC and some of the newer venues are going more ballroom, but the other two (ACDA AND CWDI), so far, are not!

14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! Well, some country dances have come from Ballroom dancing, so it wouldn't surprise me. But CW is so unique though that it would be a very hard change to do if that happened. ;)

15. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

Spratt74; What swing are you referring to? If ECS, then you must be confusing the "bar" or "social" way of performing the triple, with the way it is now being performed and judged on the competitive circuit, which is what we are discussing on this thread. If WCS, the only things these dances share are the rhythm and that they are performed without lilt. You must have your dances confused. :)

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

You said that, "I think of triple now as a smooth dance. Body flight and shaping the turns (making for a lot of pivot turns) are the reason for this. Also, staying down in your legs and driving. Sounds a lot like waltz to me!" I was correcting your last sentence. The triple step is like the ECS with changes to the feet movement like the rock step etc. I should have been more specific. But I have yet to find any reference to the triple step being like the Country Waltz.

And yes I do know that this is what this thread is about. It just doesn't resemble American Smooth Waltz to me. Country is still country in some ways even though some of it has changed. I can't describe it. I mean how can something that looks very much like a Swing dance seem like a Waltz dance? I guess I just don't get it.

17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

You know I tried going to that web site for the rules. I was going to read up on them, but I can't find the rules anywhere on that page. I'm not sure that I like the way they have the web site set up lol.

Edited to add that I'm trying to find the rules over the web, so I can print them out. I compete International, but hey might as well try CW if Dancesport offers the category lol.

18. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

Coaches I have worked with have told me that the Triple-Two step isn't necessarily changing, however there are contradicting schools of thought in what techniques are "proper", if that's even the correct way to put it. I had a judge explain to me how they were actually having trouble with the Triple-Two because there were differing viewpoints on things like passing the feet and shaping the turns etc even among the judges.

I'm not sure what SPratt74 is becoming confused about between the Triple-Two and ECS. I think she probably hasn't learned one of these dances possibly and is just going off of what she is guessing these dances are like.

When I first learned the Triple-Two I didn't learn it with certain technique like passing the feet and I still wasn't shaping it like a smooth dance. The more recent coaches I have worked with have been ones who have always had me focus on making sure that I treated this dance as a smooth dance, since that is what it is intended to be, and for me, things like passing the feet really help in achieving that look and feel of the dance as a smooth dance.

As far as the description being close to that of a Waltz, that's actually the dance my coaches have had me most closely relate the Triple-Two to, since they share more in common, and that helps me the most in keeping the dance smooth and looking more as it is intended.

19. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

SPratt:
    Although you were "correcting" me, I'm afraid you are again mistaken. East Coast swing does share a "triple triple" and a "walk walk" with the triple, but the dances in NO way resemble each other. And a "smooth" dance is a category of dance, as in smooth or rhythm dance. I was not referring to the American Smooth style of dance specifically as I never said "American Smooth" in my posts. I connected waltz to triple in response to other posts on the thread, referring to similar body shaping. I added the part about the leg positioning. I am happy to help you learn more about the competitive county style of dance. =)

20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol... I guess I must be reading the web sites wrong that I go to then, because I've gone to more than one web site, and they have said that the triple two step is similar to ECS. The timing is similar etc. So, I guess I must be wrong. And as far as the word smooth goes, I understand what you are trying to say now. If you didn't mean American Smooth, then I apologize. I understand what you were trying to say now.