Country and Western > Changes in Triple 2-Step?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by kayak, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Actually, I went to different web sites, and they all said the same thing about Swing and Triple Step. None of them have compared Triple two Step to the Waltz. And yes I spent a few months learning CW before switching to International. I have tried them all, which is why I still love CW even though I only dance it socially now. ;)

2. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

No prob, I like hashing things out. And yes, you have been reading probly some old material! the timing is all they have in common NOW, as the dance is changing!! =)

3. Love2Dance

Love2Dance New Member

If you learned the dances from a studio, why on earth did you have to look them up on the web? Plus, I don't know what website you went to that described Triple-Two as a dance that is similar to ECS, however I'm sure you can ask anyone trained in both dances and they will help correct you as well.

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I actually learned the CW dances from a couple of instructors that are on this forum now. I look everything up on the web including rule books etc. for my own information, and I print them up and I have them labeled in a green folder that I take with me to my classes. I don't want to go in blind sided I guess you could say, so you can criticize that if you wish, but I find that it is a smart thing to do especially if you have any questions to ask before competitions etc. And I went to a lot of different web sites that all said the same thing. It wasn't just one web site.

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Dances change. So, that wouldn't surprise me one bit! ;)

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I find it likely that the meaning of swing dance is the issue here....there is "swing" in the hips in high level waltzing ...it is called a swing dance...(i.e swing and sway)that is not to say ECS WCS, etc....just a thought

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, that makes sense. I tried picturing the Waltz as a Swing dance like you know what you would think of as Swing. I can't picture the Waltz being in the Swing category though, but nothing surprises me any more. Lol... I have a feeling that DNice is going to have a long talk with me during our privates lol.;)

8. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

Very true Fascination, and triple does not share this particular technique with waltz. IMO, I don't think this is how "swing" was being used by SPratt though.

9. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

sorry, didn't mean to post after SPratt already explained herself! =)

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, it was one part of the confusion, but that's cleared up now. But yeah the other part is the Triple Two Step being compared to the Waltz and/or Swing. But I think that we cleared that up didn't we?

11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's ok. No biggie.

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Ummm... did we hijack this thread? I didn't mean to. ;)

13. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

I believe so. Triple is comparable to waltz in the body shaping it utilizes and the leg positioning and drive. It is not like the swing dances (as in WCS or ECS) at all. And yes, waltz does have swing and sway, but triple does not. Sound good to ya'll??

14. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Ok. I get the Waltz part, but what I don't get is why they say the triple is like ECS on all of the web sites that I go to? And these are some main web dance sites too.

15. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

No explanation here, just pick who you would like to believe I guess. Or go to a quality country comp and watch for yourself! (That option is more fun as well!)

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I understand. I'm just stating what's out there over the Internet. You can Google it and see what I'm talking about. That's why I'm confused. If it was just one web site saying that, then I'd say well whatever lol, but this is more than one web site. That's why I don't get it. Oh well. I've also danced it myself, and would compare it to a Swing more than anything else. But that's just me though.

17. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

Well, if you ever compete or watch a competition, you will see what everyone means! Oh well, just having fun is all social dancing is about anyway!
    By the way, has anyone on here seen Bob and Paula triple? They won Classic DI at Worlds this year, and their triple is fab.

18. kayak

kayak Active Member

Thanks for all the great replies. For those of you who have switched, did you find you were able to adjust with a couple "styling update" lessons or did you almost have to start from ground zero walking out each turn pattern?

Even in the older style, I think the funnest part of the dance is the big arcs and centrifugal force in the partner turns. So I could see how great dancers would want to skip the choppiness of a chasse and add some of those arcs to all the other turns.

19. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

The triple is "like" ECS to the extent that both dances have a trip-le-step trip-le-step walk-walk (or rock-step) rhythm pattern. Last night the DJ played several fastish triple songs, and some of us chose to do ECS instead. So the two dances are alike inasmuch as, once in a while, a song comes along that either dance can be danced to it.

Other than that, they aren't much alike. But they are both fun! :bouncy:

20. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Oh, yeah...definitely the thing that makes this dance so satisfying.