General Dance Discussion > Cheaper alternative to private lessons?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Statlady, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

*raising hand* Um...right here. I'd wonder if even 5 or 6 would be high...would depend on the scale being used, I suppose. Not looking to be great.

...except in AT...("we had to beat them to death with their own shoes,) but that's another story altogether."

2. Statlady

Statlady New Member

That's cool. I wasn't trying to imply that people who say that are lame somehow or anything. :) It just seemed like a leading question to me.

3. Statlady

Statlady New Member

Good point. I absolutely am. If money were no object and I didn't have babies to care for, I'd dance 8 hours a day . . .

4. Peaches

Oh, agreed. Definitely leading, and I didn't think you were implying anything.

For me, it's actually something of an odd accomplishment to be OK with not being a 10..or a 5. Long story. But, basically, I'm OK with ballroom just being something I play around with. No real drive to become good, beyond being able to follow decently and have enough technique to not be a p.i.t.a. to dance with. No desire to showcase or compete.

With AT though...I want to be an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10...but I'm willing to be patient...I love every moment of the journey.

5. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Congrats, Statlady. Your experience serves to prove a point I made earlier -- individual owners of franchised studios make their own decisions about how to run their businesses, so one must be careful making generalities about the franchises.

6. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Peter La Fleur from the movie, Dodgeball: "I found that if you have a goal, that you might not reach it. But if you don't have one, then you are never disappointed. And I gotta tell ya... it feels phenomenal." :cheers:

7. Peaches

Exactly!

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.

9. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn't believe anything.

10. Auntie Crazy

Auntie Crazy New Member

I belong to a franchise as well. I've been there for six months and signed up for the Bronze package with a mutually agreed upon payment plan some time ago. Recently, my daughter, my newly born granddaughter and their two cats moved in with me - and my finances took an abrupt turn for the worse.

I couldn't make my second payment, at all.

The studio, when I confessed I couldn't pay, absolutely took care of me. I was soooo upset and anxious about the whole thing (nearly cried - dance has become the highlight of my life), and they've been nothing but supportive and helpful. I continued the lessons that were already scheduled and paid for, and, 'though the second installment was due nearly two months ago, they've totally trusted that I'll pay when I can and have not asked me, not once, when that will be.

Of course, if I can't come up with additional funds by the time I've danced out what I've paid for (sometime in December), I won't be able to continue with the privates, but I have no doubt the studio will work with me to maximize what opportunities my new financial situation allows.

I love my studio and I adore my instructors. :)

P.S. I don't get here as often as I'd like (all my free time is spent dancing!), but, Statlady, there is no better/kinder/more humorous group of folks than right here on DF!

11. Me

Me New Member

I hate to chime in on such a negative note and so late into the conversation, but this is TYPICAL of the types of scam tactics used by unscrupulous studios. Asking permission... granting you favors.... asking higher ups... They're good, too - they've managed to weedle out of you an exact monetary figure they can get out of you for the month.

Now think back to your earlier post - they wouldn't transfer your package hours to another plan? They insisted that, despite their opinion that your progress merited a higher level, that you continue to take lower level instruction (in effect wasting your time and money) because they were not willing to transfer your package hours to a higher level. Does that show concern toward you as a talented student of limited means? I don't think so.

Everything you have written sounds bad to me. I'm sorry. :( I really hope that I am wrong. :(

12. saludas

saludas New Member

I doubt it - since you already paid for lessons they are giving them to you (and making you feel like they are 'doing you a favor' by not 'pressuring' you) but I guarantee that the vibe will change the moment you actually owe money (or are ready to 'continue').

13. Statlady

Statlady New Member

True . . . but the number I quoted them was $50/month. . . . That can't be making them too excited. I figure, I could get 2 group classes per week somewhere else for that amount, so if they offer me at least that much, then I'll be happy.

No, no. That's not what I meant at all. They always said that they would apply my current package hours to another plan. The thing that was bugging me was that "moving up" required purchasing a different plan. I assumed that plan would require $3000+ up-front, but that doesn't seem to be the case after all. I guess until I find out the details of what they can offer me, the jury is still out on them . . . . but I have a good feeling about it.

14. Auntie Crazy

Auntie Crazy New Member

They aren't "making" me feel anything. :D I alone have control over my feelings.

As for the rest, I made an agreement, reneged on the agreement and, despite that, they have upheld their side of the contract. They are fully aware I might not be able to continue, and still I am being taught as much as I can handle twice a week (and no, not steps - my primary instructor refuses to teach steps even when asked to, because he and the other instructors do so in group lessons). Nor has he asked me to compete again since I told him that was not something I have an interest in.

Of course, only time will tell, but I believe that every studio and franchise should be judged on its own merits, and I believe, based on six months of dancing there, that my studio is a good one.

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sometimes folks can be very jaded or very wise....it mostly depends upon how overarching they think their own personal truth is...caution is a fair sentiment.... many have been down a similar road to a bad end...but, in the end, none of us can really make a determination for anyone else because circumstances are never as cut and dried as we might imagine via the internet regarding someone elses' life...good luck to you both

16. Statlady

Statlady New Member

Well said. :)

17. fascination

thank you

18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Elaine Sheresky? Didn't we chat them up in the hotel bar last year?? Maybe I'm mixing people up....

19. fascination

that's her name but I don't remember chatting her up, lol

20. Laura

Laura New Member

That's whose name came to mind when I read the post. She's great.