Tango Argentino > Cheapest private lessons in Europe?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Andreas Winsnes, Sep 4, 2017.

1. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

One can only be "the best" regarding a defined objection.
    E.g. is he likely not the "cheapest in Europe", not the best for the thread opener.
    So - in which way and with what results did he teach you to become a better dancer?

And objections are often contrary and conflictive.
    So there will always be something to criticize... :cool:

2. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

3. itwillhappen

Yes, your objection is justified! :confused:

4. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Leandro will definitely teach you anything you want.

If you are a beginner and want an instructor who will teach you everything in 1 month, he is probably not the best for you.
    If you want to learn some fancy steps, he is a right teacher.

The thread opener is unrealistic. It's better for him to find somebody local and persuade her to give him a discounted package of many lessons, one per week. He will learn something during a lesson, then he will use the information with partners.

But a month of private classes in a cheap country like the Ukraine will be beneficial, of course.

5. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Ah yes, fancy steps. It's the stuff that dreams are made of.

6. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Forget about Natalia, though. She will remain in Buenos Aires for a while now.
    And when (if :) ) she comes back to Ukraine, the price of her lessons will go up. ;)

7. itwillhappen

Looks as if she earned enough money to reinvest that in education in Buenos Aires, hopefully to earn even more money. Capitalism rules! :cool:

Tango Distance and Mladenac like this.
  8. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Nobody will pay 80 € per hour in the Ukraine.

Why would she stay in Argentina when most Argentinian teachers try their luck abroad? These high-class teachers even undermine "secondary" local teachers.

9. Lilly_of_the_valley

There are lots of rich people in Ukraine who regularly pay more than that for private lessons, and travel the world to take lessons and dance on top. I personally know a few.

Why some people stay in Argentina? For love. They fall in love with Tango, with the culture, lifestyle, at times with a particular person.

Professional tango career wise, from Buenos Aires, with an Argentinean partner, a woman can travel the world. From Ukraine, with an Ukranian partner, not so much. :)

10. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I see you're now an expert on the distribution of disposable income in Ukraine in addition to being an expert on tango...

11. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Is tango a dance for the rich in the Ukraine?

You rarely see the most desirable college-age ladies at milongas in the USA because they are poorer.

12. Lilly_of_the_valley

You must be kidding. In the cities with large universities you see almost no one but college age ladies.
    Many colleges have tango clubs, and organize their own events.
    Many milongas have students discounts. A milonga entrance and a group lesson price is not high to begin with. Much unlike the price of college education itself in the USA, I shall say. :)

Tango may be done and learned on almost any budget. We have had homeless community members as well as billionaires, and anything in between.

itwillhappen, sixela and Mladenac like this.
  13. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I don't think Vincenze is kidding. He seems to lead a life full of imagined certainties (which he seems to want us to share, for some odd reason).

At milongas in the USA I definitely see college-age ladies (and there are definitely ladies that are desirable to dance with among them, at least to me, although obviously Vincenze is free to disagree). Of course, it helps if a milonga is organised by a university ;-).

14. Lilly_of_the_valley

I am having a hard time to believe it is for real. Not only all students in the US are now poor, they are also not-being-able to afford-a milonga entrance-poor. :)

15. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Give me an example of a city with a big university that has a lot of college-age tango dancers. I'll check photos of milongas.

I've seen Salsa events on campuses when they advertised $3 lessons for beginners. Those lessons really drew thousands of young people. I'm sure, only few of them were interested in taking subsequent $15 lessons.

---
    Can this be considered a university milonga?
    Is Harvard a big university with a lot of rich students?

The Harvard Milonga: Spring 2017 edition

4 Went · 17 Interested

---
    Here is a typical tango lesson there.

2 Interested

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  16. Lilly_of_the_valley

Examples:
    Berkeley CA
    Stanford CA
    Ann Arbor MI
    Ithaca NY

I am not sure what your examples are meant to prove or disprove.

sixela likes this.
  17. Lilly_of_the_valley

I must say, I find looking for a tango venue based on demography of its female attendants who ought to be younger than 22 when you are not a college kid yourself is borderline creepy. I wonder if we shall notify the college club organizers to keep an eye on you.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  18. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Why do you think that dancing with a young fertile female is creepy?
    I would say that the idea of going to Buenos Aires in order to dance at Lo De Celia is much creepier.

I just noticed that dancers in Kiev and Seoul and many other places are much younger. Probably, tango is more affordable there.

19. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

I forgot.

It's not creepy for a young foreign woman to visit Buenos Aires in order to dance with a very old, but talented milonguero.
    It's a different story for a foreign man.

20. Lilly_of_the_valley

Tango is all about ability and personality. Ageism and using tango as a meat market is very much frown upon.