Swing Discussion Boards > Check out these conditions

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by jdavidb, Dec 10, 2004.

1. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

I'll be having to do lindy hop in the following environment:

I hate the song.

It's 190 bpm.

I'll be doing this with a partner who has never learned lindy hop, so she's really gonna hate this at 190 bpm.

The director says she's wanting "a lot of people on stage" for this. I'm the only one who knows lindy hop, so I guess I will be hidden by "a lot of people on stage" doing I don't know what... at 190 bpm!

Rehearsal is supposed to start the beginning of January with a February 22 show date. I've been trying to get them to start studying lindy hop since April or somewhere around there, shortly after Feb this year. No one has lifted a finger. I hope they don't expect me to give them a freebie crash course now. I'm not willing to have hacks go on stage with the word out that I'm who taught them how to do whatever crappy thing they end up doing. I don't want to be a teacher!

Same set of conditions applies to hustle except the song is good for hustle... "a lot of people on stage", none of them know hustle, I'll be with a partner who doesn't know hustle.

I want to find a way to have a positive attitude about this.

2. tacad

tacad New Member

:doh: :lol:

Play dumb?

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ye gods!! :shock: Who thought this scenario up?

What's your strategy? Does it have to be lindy hop? Is there some way to create an illusion that people know what they're doing (while minimizing injury, especially to yourself?)

4. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Why do you have to do this? Can't you just say no?

What kind of show-group are you in?

5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I don't do lindy hop & I may be out of place with my opinion here, but if it were I in that situation, I would suggest that they change the song(to one of my preference) then I would request, as I would be the only person knowledgeable in that field of dance, to be put in front of the group, so the audience would be concentrating on me an not notice the folks in back just "winging it". YEAH,as Pygmalion asked previously, who thought this scenario up?

6. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

Strategy is the key, and there appears to be more of what not to do than what to do. Whatever I do must be done as though I have no intention of getting anyone "removed" because that would make me look like an knat.

I say it has to be authentic lindy hop, but it appears as though single ecs is the accepted plan to save those who don't know anything yet. That's what was done last February, and I went along with it because I had no lindy hop repertoire at that time and only 16 days to prepare. I'm a guilty blasphemer too, but I've spent a lot of time since then seeking redemption :lol:

Who thought this scenario up? I cannot tell yet, but these details so far were told to me by the director. I'm more interested in why than who.

7. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

Yes, I can quit. I think they wish I would do that. But, this is just something important to me. I want to hang in there & see what I can pull off.

It's a dance troupe that's directly attached to one of those academies that is mostly ballet, tap, jazz & hip hop. So, the academy is predominantly a little girl school, but those aren't the people in this show. This show is comprised of teens and adults. The teens are students there. Most of the adults, like me, are outsider volunteers or pros/teachers, not students.

Yes, I'm about to "launch the campaign" to get the song changed. I feel like I'm having to prepare a defense for Scott Peterson. On second thought, I'll let that song be played as is and get it changed later. The speed of it might help narrow down the numbers of people who continue to rehearse.

I don't wanna do a blatant upstaging either by trying to hide those who don't have anything to do. I'd rather be the most hidden couple under these circumstances.

8. pygmalion

A single swing routine for the non-lindy people is probably doable, even if it's annoying to the lindy faithful, like yourself. Maybe there could be a mix?

I find it really annoying how, sometimes, people from dance disciplines such as ballet and jazz, assume that they'll be shoe-ins to do other dance forms, just because of their dance training. Yes, dance training helps, but there's no substitute for actually learning a dance. (I've groused about that in a couple ballroom and tango threads, too.) Grr. :x

Best of luck. :?

9. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

I'll send you a DVD of it, pygmalion. I can't believe I don't know your real name! I put last February's DVD in the trash compactor yesterday, but I'll send you one of this next go 'round if I don't get kicked out of this Feb's show.

10. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: It's Jennifer. Friends call me Jenn. 8)

I'll PM you my PO Box number. 8)

11. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Ah, so you're one of those really stubborn types. The more things goes against you, the more you just have to do them?? :lol:

12. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

Yeah, but patience and understanding (understanding the good and the bad) must preclude stubborn principles. I can't be reckless.

13. sanityhaven

sanityhaven New Member

If the song HAS to be used. You should see if it's an option to slow it down to a more acceptable speed.

14. tacad

tacad New Member

And remember, you are actually doing 6 count lindy hop, not east coast swing! :lol:

15. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

That's cool that you mentioned it as possibly being 6-count lindy hop because it got me thinking. With what they do, one big part of lindy hop that is missing is tension and compression. They're doing barely a partner dance at all. They hold hands and resort to things such as arm signals for turning the girl while stepping in that single ecs 6-count manner.

I like ecs. I do it myself sometimes. The program says "lindy hop" though. The narraration talks about Savoy, charleston, Frankie Manning, Lindberg and all that. That's the reason it's hard to swallow. I guess I'll be happy as long as they don't stick a stubborn anti-lindy hop partner with me.

16. pygmalion

Oh. That explains your determination. They're planning to advertise one dance and do another. :evil:

17. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Six count Lindy? In my opinion, there's no such beast :evil:

18. pygmalion

Ummm. I think that argument was had here and on several swing boards, at great length, a year or two ago. Not?

19. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

That would be before my time. But it doesn't matter, in my mind there's no such beast. :twisted:

I do not want to start a discussion though. At least not by hijacking this thread. I just wanted to express my feeling about the subject.

Edit: By the way, I fully acknowledge six count patterns (as well as four, eight, ten, twelve etc) within Lindy. Just to avoid missunderstanding. :)

20. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

The narration in the show even points out the mixing of 6 and 8 count moves in lindy hop... they even mention break away. So, they verbally cover what it is technically and historically.