Swing Discussion Boards > Check out these conditions

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by jdavidb, Dec 10, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

But they're not willing to do a little (okay, maybe a lot of) work on the dance? Infidels!!! :evil: :lol:

2. heartgrl2k

heartgrl2k New Member

Isn't it possible just to have 1 or 2 couples who get training on Lindy hop between now and then? It's hard enough to get a routine together for a large group when they KNOW the dance.

I'm picturing a train wreck...

3. pygmalion

Me too. The single swing option is looking pretty sweet, to be honest. Unless you pick like one or two moves, then choreograph it so that different couples move into the "spotlight" to give the illusion of change, it's going to get ugly. And even with a repertoire of two moves, it could likely get ugly, at that speed. Grr. :evil:

4. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

I hope it's not a train wreck. I hope they'll find something simple enough to do or lobby to the director that they want out before taking something unpleasant onto the stage. I think it's unfortunate that they're introduced to ecs with a high-tempo song with it being called lindy hop.

I sure don't want to add to the torture. I don't like meddling in what other pairs do. I don't like intimidating people with a crash course. I'll be treating this like a dance floor where one couple does not worry about what other couples are doing.

If they're gonna do single ecs, they do need a song that's got some speed to it or else it feels like they're doing almost nothing.

5. pygmalion

Yeah. It must be difficult to be in your position -- knowing better, but with your hands pretty much tied. :?

6. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

On the bright side of things, non-dancer won't see the difference anyway. :?

But of course (in my mind at least), some coool swingouts should be part of any Lindy performance. 8)

7. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

As I recall the more agile minds are in the same boat with you ;)

My sympathies ... sounds like plain ol' bad theater. You'll live though and that's a good thing :) When is it over?

8. pygmalion

Absolutely, SK. :) Agile ... that's a good word. :wink:

9. Doug

Doug New Member

pygmalion - 2:29 am?? it's the middle of the freakin' night. go to sleep.

10. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was my middle-of-the-night wake up and check in. Don't worry. I went back and got more sleep, same as always. 8)

Note to self: Find something better to do during the wee hours ... :roll:

11. pygmalion

Hey jdavidb. Any update? Have your folks been practicing during the holidays? What did the director decide about the dance? Lindy? ECS? A mix?

12. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

No nothing has started yet. I'm starting to think they don't want to call me to start rehearsal in January. I suspect they're thinking that whoever my partner will be will have to do too much work. I haven't told them yet that what I've got now actually makes the endeavor a billion times easier than it was last February, April and May. They know I've been in classes at other schools & watching tons of video and talking to gurus like Damon online. They don't know that what I've been looking for and practicing is stuff that's easy for the follower.

13. pygmalion

Wow. Thanks. I really didn't expect you to log in until next week.

Keep us posted, if you can. I'm dying to know how this performance goes. 8)

14. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

Last night, the adults had to go to another room while they did some stuff with teenagers. I started chatting about lindy hop with a 21 year old woman who is in ballet there. In less than 10 minutes, she was able to immediately follow every 6-count move I sent her through and use triple steps, do a real swingout, and even do side-by-side charleston! We went back into the rehearsal later, and they put on the slow swing music for everyone to practice quick, quick, slow, slow, but she and I did lindy hop instead... even if it was only 110 bpm. It's amazing how fast she was able to do all of that. We did lollies too with led, random back-rocks thrown in too. I hope she keeps rehearsing with me. I'm happy with 6 and 8 count floor steps to take to the stage. I don't need any stunts or even lindy charleston added to it to feel great about it.

15. pygmalion

Kewl! :D How're the rest of the cast coming along?

16. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

There's one guy and his partner who are advanced in single ecs, so they're doing that. Everyone else was taught step, step, back rock by one of the coaches. That's all they know. They've only had 2 rehearsals. I'm willing to show 'em about leading back rocks and a few other things they can do with their qqss if they ever want me to.

I've shown the hustle to 3 of the ladies now. They become awesome instantly in that dance.

17. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

They consulted me on the song for lindy hop. I showed 'em a few, and they chose my favorite (for these circumstances), Young Buddy by Ray Bryant. It's 148 bpm. They played it and the other couples did their single ecs to it & cheered afterwards. I guess they loved it. They were probably tired of going too slow or too fast with the other songs. Young Buddy hit the nail on the head. I think they were hating what they were doing because it wasn't feeling right at 121 bpm (school show song) or 190 bpm (last year's theater song). Once they did it to Young Buddy, they reacted like "I finally get it!... It really is a dance with rhythm".

Right before that though, they ran that 190 bpm song for lindy hop rehearsal. I guess they forgot they had picked another one. It just happens that I managed to squeeze in a few details with my partner before that. I wasn't expecting this song to be played. But, I started telling her to stay close even in open position, stay sorta squared, don't open it way up into fan position, be sure your left side goes right into the inside of my elbow, and you don't have to triple step heheheh. We wound up kickin' butt at 190 bpm, and it was only the 2nd time she had attempted it with me. It's amazing how well she did. No stumbling at all. She nailed everything as smooth as could be. I'm either lucky or maybe some supernatual power has decided to make sure stuff works out.

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Wow! It is great that things are now beginning to work out. :D

19. pygmalion

I can't believe how well you've managed, all things considered, jdavidb. Kewl!

When's the performance? Should be coming up soon, right?

20. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

The show is February 18 or 19. I think it's Friday the 18th.