Swing Discussion Boards > Check out these conditions

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by jdavidb, Dec 10, 2004.

1. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

here we are... one week from the night of the show. My partner still hasn't invested more than 20 minutes into practicing lindy hop. I gave her a short, 20 minute video explaining/demonstrating swingouts & circles and 6 count moves a couple of weeks ago. I gave her a disc that had four 1-minute lindy hop jams. She has seen all of it. I made up two new ways to step in lindy hop: "step, step, triplestep, step, wait" for sixes, and "step, step, triplestep, step, step, step, wait" for eights. She gets worse every time we do our piddly little 2-minute lindy hop at 148 bpm in group rehearsal.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

My "condolences" jdavidb... :(

3. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

Thanks SD. I got myself marked off the roster for lindy hop a little while ago. I'm still in waltz, jitterbug and the hustle for that show. Those three are enough reason to show up, but not enough to get my family & friends to come.

Our waltz is lame as crap, but MY jitterbug and MY hustle rock. This year is nothing but a placeholder in hopes that next year won't be so lousy.

4. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

I thought my partner had given up when I took myself off the roster, but the next day, she contacted me with ways to get plenty more practice before the show. So, I immediately got myself back in the lindy hop part of the show.

Tonight was dress rehearsal. We kicked butt like never before. She's back to the kind of mobility we had when I first hauled her around at 190 bpm. I can just go crazy and do anything with her! It seems like she will not fall down or stumble. I didn't even have to lead heavy either. We nailed swingout, circles, swingouts from closed, basket whips, reverse basket whips and a flurry of 6 count moves. They only let the song play for a minute and 20 seconds for that rehearsal, and we managed to cram all that in. HA!

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It's really funny, but I thought about this over the weekend. I was hoping you'd check back in. Kewl! Thanks for update. It sounds like things are turning out better than any of us imagined possible. Nice. :D

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Lots of ups and downs!! Anyway, hope that the show is great, and it should be if the dress reherseal is anything to go by. :)

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Wow, glad to hear there was such a turn around! :D

8. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

I think last night was a lindy hop victory. I feel redeemed. We didn't do bells & whistles lindy hop, but we did use a repertoire of nine or ten moves including swingouts and circles. Everything we did was done the lindy hop way. You know, I could tell by the final rehearsal which moves my partner was excecuting well enough (often perfect), so that's all I used.

I've seen digital camera video of it. It looked good. It didn't look as active as I hoped. It looked more like lindy hop workshop students who are doing pretty good :lol: We were right in the center, and it lasted two minutes.

Once the dvd is available to us, I'll send you one Jennifer.