Swing Discussion Boards > Chicago Steppin

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by pygmalion, Apr 18, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

2. pygmalion

3. pygmalion

Ha! Google, and ye shall find. Here, you can take online Chicago steppin lessons, for a fee.

chicagostylestepper.com/

And here is some Chicago-area info, plus a steppers chat room and some promotional merchandise. :wink:

steppers.net

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . by the way . . . Damon teaches this dance!!!

Great WCS song for me, as well . . .

I really like doing this dance, but until I have another lesson with Damon, I only have about 75% of it . . . all the pieces, but haven't put it all together yet.

5. d nice

d nice New Member

I love this dance. Its still knew to being taught so there are lots of styles, both regional and musical. One gentleman has patented a teaching method for a style of stepping different from my own. I know his style, but teach it, I teach the freestyle form, I think there is a certain energy in it that I like more, though his has this incredible "coolness" to it, very laid back. When I teach it I use a compleatly different method... personally I like myine better, but then I'm biased.

6. pygmalion

It's nice to know all the individuality hasn't been homogenized out of the dance. ... yet. :?

The movie was Love Jones. And don't go rushing out to rent it. It's not a dance movie. It does have a very nice scene involving Chicago steppin. The irony, of course, is that, when I saw the movie, I thought, "I wish I could dance." Things change. 8) :D

7. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

You might want to check Kansas City's 2 Steppin'. Recently, there was a documentary that concluded filming last December. I don't know when the end result will be finished. This is Kansas City's developed version of swing dating back to the 40's, I think. Anyway, there are several venues in South Kansas City which have 2-Steppin' (not to be confused with NC2 or anything country). What was neat was the fact that there was a several month long dance competition culminating to a $10,000 prize pot. There's more info to be found at http://www.kcdance.com if you do some digging.

8. pygmalion

Cool. Thanks, swingin style. 8) :D

9. pygmalion

The other R Kelly Chicago steppin song is "Happy People." I keep hearing it on the radio, and I'm getting increasingly frustrated that I can't dance to the dang thing. Maybe I'll buy the video. :?

10. d nice

d nice New Member

I'm actually teaching a workshop/seminar on Chicago Steppin' This Sunday for National Dance Week in San Francisco.

Swingin' Style can you share more about the KC 2-Steppin'? I saw the photos on the sight, but couldn't find any actual information about the dance history. I learned the basics of a dance from someone in Houston they called 2-Steppin' and I'd love to find out if they were the same dance, and some of the background on it.

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Damon,

Do you have any further info on where in SF and what time? I looked over the entire dance weekend site, and did not see anything with Chicago Steppin' in it . .

Thanks,
    Vince

12. d nice

d nice New Member

I'm teaching with the Northern California Lindy Hop Society, so its actually in Oakland I believe at the Lake Merrit Dance Center. I'll give you a time and address when I find out for sure.

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Kewl . . I can catch BART at Pleasanton and get off right at Lake Merrit.

If we can plan something for the two kids (like both kids' real fathers), we'll be there!

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Damon,
    I just found it . . . sound correct to you? I have been trying to learn that dance for while now . . . I LIKE IT!

Northern California Lindy Society
    Presentations about different kinds of swing dancing, performances by local swing dance troupes, and introductory classes in different types of swing dancing.
    4:30pm-7:30pm All Kinds of Swing

Lake Merritt Dance Center
    200 Grand Avenue (Harrison), Oakland - view map
    info@ncls.com, www.ncls.com
    415 979 3079

15. jon

jon Member

NCLS event posting on Swingtalk.

Hope they're using the ballroom downstairs, the upstairs facilities seem pretty small for an event targeted at the general public.

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks jon . . . that helped . . .

I think that since my wife has to get up at 3 AM, she would have been hesitant to go. But I see that the Chicago Steppin' class ends at 6:30, not 7:30 as I have on another flyer . . . we could actually be home by her regular "go to bed hours between 7:30-8PM."

Are you going???

17. pygmalion

:shock: Yikes! Get up at 3? *shudder* She needs to join DF and post in ERC. Since nobody else is. :wink:

18. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

And I deliver. Check out this article here: http://pitch.com/issues/2003-12-18/feature.html/1/index.html

Here is the site of the comp organizers. Good info should be here if you do any digging. http://www.manual74.com/

19. pygmalion

Cool. Thanks, swinginstyle. :D

20. d nice

d nice New Member

Thanks for the links. I'm not sure it is the same one I learned,t hough it is probably related. I need to find an actual description of the basic step and what positioning it is done in. Do you do 2-step?