Tango Argentino > Videos > Chicho y Juana - tango (Bajofundo) - Mantova TF 2008

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Me, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Me

Me New Member

There are so many wonderful things I want to say about this performance, but the one thing that really stands out for me is Juana's exquisite footwork.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh...holy...****. OMG, that was amazing. Thank you for sharing.

(Not sure if I feel inspired or like dirt. Both, I think.)

3. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

My goodness, such power and speed. This goes onto my list of "best performance to this tune I'm likely to ever see". Generally speaking I'm not excited by watching Chicho do his thing, but that was excellent.

4. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Exquisite but the stage lighting is also so beautiful isnt it? It looks somehow that they're on an ice rink..

5. Me

Me New Member

My sentiments EXACTLY!

6. Peaches

After many more watchings...

His footwork was amazing. The more I watch it, the more impressed I've become with how he isn't just leading her in a beautiful dance (although a lot of it seems to be him as a backdrop for her dancing--he shows her off beautifully), but his feet and how he uses them rhythmically is an incredible example of how to physically express music. It's astounding.

That said (and I'm probably going to get crucified for this, but all the same), I don't like how he moves his feet. The actual, physical movement just isn't all that pretty to me. Maybe this is what people were talking about on another thread regarding stepping on top of the beat, I don't know (since that whole conversation was just way over my head in terms of understanding). But it just looked kind of...stomp-y to me. I'm not talking about the sharpness--that I've got no problem with. But it just seemed kind of...flat footed?

I don't know. Like I said, I expect crucifixion for this. And, god knows, I'm really not in a position to nit-pick the technique of someone like that...not seriously. I'm not trying to tear him down. But there's just something there that doesn't quite appeal to me, in the movement, but I'm not sure what.

7. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

There are several differences between how Chicho steps and other tango exemplars.

Firstly, he typically raises his feet clear off the ground when stepping. His feet come down again quite ferociously in that video, which gives this stompy feel, but perhaps this is off necessity to provide the strength and sharpness he requires. No caressing the floor, or anything of the sort. All his momentum is thrust into the ground stopping him dead, which brings me onto my second observation.

His upper body motion in relation to his legs. In that video he very very rarely travels through a vertical axis over one leg. He is well and truly "inbetween" steps. Compare that with how hard Juana works to maintain pivoting axis and keeps her weight heavily biased to one leg or the other, even if the free leg is left trailing.

I would write more but it's difficult to say things without encountering many exceptions... and paying out enough rope to hang by. Elusive topics.

8. bastet

bastet Active Member

The flatfooted thing I don't think has much to do with the on top of versus mid-point empasis (perhaps Angel will see this and have a better opinion). Being "on top" of the beat is just body and foot arriving more or less at the same time (which Chicho does often- see the video at 1:30-2:00- you can't really "run" like that without being on top of the beat with all the body and foot arriving together, I don't think), versus foot arrival first and body second as it would in mid-point empasis.

That difference in body arrival time compared to the foot seem to be what makes things more smooth versus staccato (again I'd look to Angel for further opinions on it). I just has a dynamics class on this very topic and this was what I gathered, even though the teachers didn't discuss in detail the whole mid-point or on top of thing (though they demonstrated it so I could see the visual). Anytime we did a "smooth" excersize- we were aiming for the rooling look with more midpoint emphasis, versus the "sharp" accents where the whole body and foot went together.

9. bastet

bastet Active Member

I would say that would be a pretty clear indication that he has dumped all his energy on top of the beat with foot and body arriving at the same location at or near the same time, whether he trails a leg or not and absorbed it in a bent supporting leg. But it's a little hard ot discuss it since Chicho doesn't really "walk" much and I think it'd be easier to see in that case, most of his steps are interrupted by something large or circular that stops him in place.

10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

For the record.........GREAT VID; GREAT DANCE; without question, the BEST of CHICHO !!!!!!!

Know that the following comments are not critiques, merely thoughts. I think her footwork is good, but I've seen better...Aurora Lubiz, Claudia Codega, Me (from this thread). I completely understand Peaches' post; Chicho is different. One either likes him, or not. He, basically, defined this style of dance (in the way that Fabian and Gustav defined salon), though his style of dancing it is unique. It looks good on him...not on everyone.

11. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Hmm each to their own I guess. Another Chicho video I love is this one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5zBmnShASA

(beautiful music as well as sublime dancing)

Personally I love Juana's footwork but for me it's her fabulous balance that really stands out.

12. Peaches

Agreed!

13. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Though I do understand, I don't see anything critically acclaimed there, either. I do see a very accomplished sense of timing and self awareness that is most impressive. At a sidebar, Chicho looked better in Cap's vid...haircut wise :lol: .

14. Peaches

With all due respect, given how much I struggle with balance, her balance impresses me greatly. She makes things that I struggle with look effortless, and that's amazing. To me, at least.

15. bafonso

bafonso New Member