Tango Argentino > Children and Argentine Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Jul 3, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Something struck me the other night. I don't know a single kid who does AT. I wonder why.

Admittedly the dance can be a wee bit sensual (and the hold close) at times, but so can cha cha and, certainly rumba, so that wouldn't be a primary reason for kids not to do.

Any idea on why there aren't more kids doing AT? I've seen kids doing everything from salsa to samba to swing, but NEVER AT...how interesting.

Does anyone know of AT for kids classes or even kids who AT? It seems to be an adult's dance.

(Mind you, the same could be said of salsa too, but not to the same extent. I know salsa is taught in the kids bronze street latin medals here, but I've never seen a kid get up and even attempt it...)

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Actually I know a 12 year old kid, who started at age 8, who does AT. He used to go to milongas with his parents, started getting bored, so joined in. He uses an open position as he is too small for closed. but he is really good. :)

3. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

The last time I went to an AT class, there was a young boy there, probably about 12. He was allowed to stay with his partner (who I think was his older sister) instead of rotating like others in the class. He did dance with other followers at the free dance afterwards (open position, as Sagitta says. In closed hold his head would be in a rather awkward position :lol:).

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've never seen children dancing Argentine Tango either.

5. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Me neither, DM, but I've heard they do exist, right MacMoto and Sagitta? :lol:
    Mind you, at this week's lesson, I'm going to ask around and keep my eyes peeled.

What can be done to draw kids to tango, I wonder? As much as I adore it and the associated music, it's hardly the funkiest dance style out there. :lol: