Tango Argentino > CITA? And, best time to visit Buenos Aires

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Lois Donnay, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

I am getting some questions about visiting Buenos Aires to attend CITA, a tango congress, in March. I tend to avoid going to Buenos Aires when there are big congresses, and even then, don't go to those milongas, because I want to meet and dance with more porteno/as, not so much people from my own country who are attending/learning at a congress. I broke that rule during the Queer Festival, and I had a lot of fun.

So, what are your experiences? What did you like/not like from attending Congresos in Buenos Aires? While there, do you go to other milongas or only the ones endorsed by the congress?

I am thinking about returning to BsAs in March, mainly as a tour guide for those attending, but will most likely avoid the CITA related events myself.

2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

I have been in Buenos Aires numerous time in March. When I go, I am hardly aware of the congesses, mundials and such. It is a parallel world to me. Whatever happens in Tango Touristlandia is none of my concern. I don't go to the milongas and other events catering to tourists. It is in fact even better, less bad dancers in my regular milongas, as they all tend to be drawn to those events. Going at Easter time and other important holidays affects me more as a visitor (still not so much, just have to plan airfare and accomodations little more ahead). :)

Mladenac and Lois Donnay like this.
  3. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

Of course! I never thought of it that way! Thanks!

4. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

I went twice, years ago and within a group. I would gladly have kept going again and again but the studio who was managing the trip more or less collapsed.
    I liked the high density of available classes and the fact that besides the main hotel they were also using many various tango places in BsAs. I disliked the milongas very much, it was packed and people were chain-smoking. It was allowed by then. Yes, it was long ago.

5. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

Come with me in March or November of this year! I promise you will have a much better experience with us. Small group, good, danceable milongas, much more immersion.

6. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

OK, I'm going back March 6, for three weeks. See you there!