General Dance Discussion > "Classic" "Must-have" Dance Music

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Indiana_Jay, Jan 23, 2006.

1. hepcat

hepcat Member

I don't know Carolina Shag, just Collegiate. in fact, collegiate is the only one I've actually seen. The only other I'm aware of is St. Louis Shag, although I'm aware people have said there are countless varieties. However, I was under the (obviously false) impression that all shag was fast (i.e. faster than ECS or even Jitterbug) such as is collegiate. I'm curious, what BPMs would you consider the sweet spot for Carolina Shag?

And to address the original post, I would say that a classic lindy song would be Come and Go with Me - Del Vikings. There are probably others that are more popular, but I'll bet every lindy dancer has heard this one!

-Hepcat

2. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Honestly, I've never seen any other form of shag but Carolina Shag. And yes, it is slower than ECS. Stylistically it reminds me of WCS, but the step pattern itself is basically the same as ECS. I don't really know about BPMs, but like I said, James Taylor's "Sweet Carolina Girls" is a Carolina Shag standard obviously. Another one is Alabama's "Shagging On The Boulevard."

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Tango:

Quejas de Bandoneon
    Zum
    La Yumba
    9 de Julio
    El Ingenerio
    El Pollito
    El Porteno

4. alemana

alemana New Member

i disagree with most of the 'mambo' suggestions so far in this thread, with the exception of Ran Kan Kan, which defines the genre. i have a meeting now but later i will post some better (imho) tunes.

5. Medira

Medira New Member

Please, please, please do, because I've been finding it a stretch to snag some good mambo music.

6. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I adore Ran Kan Kan, too! Only reason I didn't list it, is that Medira already had.

7. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Medira, m'dear, I'm not finding much under "Quando, Quando, Quando," no matter when (or where) I look, but I'm finding a lot under "Quizás, Quizás, Quizás." Could you perhaps have meant that?

Grace and Peace,

-IJ

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Michael Buble (duet with Nelly Furtado) has a version on one of his CD's.

9. Medira

Medira New Member

What Purr said. :) The CD is called "It's Time"

Searching on some of the lyrics may help you to find a starting point for artists and albums... (forgive me if the lyrics aren't entirely accurate, I'm doing this by memory)

Tell me when will you be mine
    Tell me quando, quando, quando
    We can share a love divine
    Please don't make me wait again

When will you say yes to me?
    You mean happiness to me
    Oh my love, please tell me when

Every moment's a day
    Every day seems a lifetime
    Let me show you the way
    To a joy beyond compare

I can't wait a moment more
    Just say it's me that you adore
    And then darling, tell me when

"Quizas, Quizas, Quizas", depending on the tempo of the particular version you're listening to, can be a cha cha or a rumba. I've heard more cha cha versions than rumbas though.

10. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

Quando is sometimes another spelling of Cuando? Maybe give that a shot (Cuando, cuando, cuando = When, when, when).

11. Medira

Medira New Member

Alemana, any word on the mambo suggestions? One of the things on this week's "To Do" list is to mix some new practice music, and I'd love to hear your suggestions.

12. alemana

alemana New Member

thanks for the reminder.. i will get on this today since i'm home sick.

13. Medira

Medira New Member

Eep! Feel better soon! *sends healing vibes*

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Didja pick up a bug at the comp or something, Alemana?

15. amrimi

amrimi New Member

For Rumba Take my breath away by Berlin

16. Indiana_Jay

Thanks, Amrimi. I've added it to the list I'll post here when it looks like we've received all the suggestions. I think Alemana still plans to suggest some Mambo tunes, so I'll at least wait for that.

Cute avatar, by the way. :)

17. alemana

alemana New Member

i have to disagree with the berlin suggestion. i sent medira some mambo stuff via pm.

18. Indiana_Jay

Are you reluctant to share the mambos with the rest of us?

19. alemana

alemana New Member

no, i just wasn't finished putting the list together and she said she wanted to make some practice cd's like, now. so i shot her a list quick. more later.

20. Indiana_Jay

Cool. Thanks. :)