Country and Western > Classic vs. Showcase

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by QQS_Girl, Jan 21, 2007.

1. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

Do you prefer Showcase style or Classic style competition? Are both categories needed? I don't know how many UCWDC competitors or spectators are here, but I think there are at least a few. I think this is an interesting topic, and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or comments.

2. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

When I competed in UCWDC, I competed in Classic. At that time, I was very taken with the Showcase style and thought the routines appeared much harder and much more advanced. Now in retrospect, I think I prefer Classic because it's truly dancing and not so many tricks. That's not to say I wouldn't love to have the flexibility to do some of the crazy things they do in Showcase, however.

3. kayak

kayak Active Member

As a spectator of that level, I really appreciate as many exhibitions and competitions between the dance masters as I can see. It is really fun to see the people who really know what they are doing vs the huge blob of "I'm working towards awesome someday".

4. Taurus57

Taurus57 New Member

How about just getting through all your routines cleanly? I don't think I've ever even managed that!

T57;)

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Come to think of it . . . in all of my years of competing . . . . . . . . I've never managed that either!!!!!!!!

6. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Me neither.

:-(

7. kayak

kayak Active Member

And of course, there is always that moment when the pros make a screw up and still dance better than me ....

8. Taurus57

Taurus57 New Member

At least when you see the pros goof up, it makes you feel human about your mistakes too.

T57

9. kayak

kayak Active Member

Now you have to admit, having a Classic and Showcase division split is a clearer set of styling differences than ballroom's American/Internationa, Smooth/Rythm splits.

10. Taurus57

Taurus57 New Member

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. I dance American Smooth and Rhythm and, especially, in smooth, the difference is fairly disticnt. Open work vs. closed dance position. Rhythm vs. Latin is less clear for sure, except for the different dances ie. Jive, Bolero, Samba, Mambo.

T57

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

do others find that to be so? they seem very, very distinct to me. very.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'm actually not sure about the difference we're talking about here between classic & showcase style comp... can anyone elaborate?

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I tend to agree . . .

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'm lost . . . not sure where the word "style" fits in to C&W dance in the UCWDC divisions . . .

15. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

I haven't competed in country for a few years but I'll take a stab at it and Vince or SuzieQ or someone that actively competes in country can feel free to correct me...

The classic style in country western is pure dancing, with no "tricks" allowed. In showcase, the couples are allowed to do splits and other moves that aren't strictly dancing. The showcase competitors know what their music will be in advance, so they are able to choreograph their routines to fit the music, whereas classic couples take pot luck and dance their routines to whatever music is played. It's actually a bit more complex than that and I haven't read the rules lately, but I think that's the gist of the differences between the two styles.

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Hmmm... Since I've only been dancing a year (well, Feb. 2 is my full year lol), all I can say is that I agree with you! I would have said something similar. ;)

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ahhh... so this is a cw thing? not a ballroom thing? gotcha...

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Classic and Showcase are terms used to differentiate divisions - not a 'style' such as Smooth or Rhythm - and the Classic and Showcase Divisions are as different as "night and day," albeit, the dancers may be doing the exact same dance!!! The two divisions are not on the floor at the same time . . .

19. kayak

kayak Active Member

In waltz, there is both International and American. Isn't the arguement for the closed International holds that it is pure dance compared with the flashy American?

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

In C&W Waltz . . . there isn't!