Country and Western > Classic vs. Showcase

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by QQS_Girl, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

Classic vs Showcase is a westie thing as well. There, Showcase requires a minimum number of lifts; Classic forbids lifts, and requires a higher degree of "swing content".

The conditions of contest at the US Open are fairly typical for this circuit.

http://www.usopenswingdc.com/division_rules_2006.html

2. kayak

kayak Active Member

There isn't what? A split between pure and showy dance? For each type of dance, ballroomers end up crowning international and american champions. So it just doesn't seem weird to me that C&W would also crown classic and showcase champions. I just love seeing the dancers that really know what they are doing out there.

3. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

I appreciate the different divisions, I like the depth and intrest that it adds to country. I just wish that "showcase" didn't also stand for "can make a million mistakes and look like crap as long as the tricks are big". Oops, did I just say that? =) I really do have love for the good showcase dancers out there.

4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

FWIW, ballroom competition also has a "showdance" division, which is similar to what you're describing in C&W (more theatrical, allowing lifts, etc.). Any style of dance (Amer., Int.) and any of the individual dances within them can be done as a showdance. In fact, some showdance routines combine several different dances.

If you happen to be watching "America's Ballroom Challenge," there each finalist couple in all the styles is also doing a showdance number as well.

5. Tori

Tori New Member

I think at my age the appeal of Showcase is really high.

It would be nice maybe next year or the year after to do Showcase. Maybe.