Cleaning dance shoes

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MadamSamba, Oct 17, 2003.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

How do people, particularly women, keep their dance shoes clean? I've got a pair of Supadance (t-bar, flesh satin) shoes that havent looked so great lately.

It's almost summer here, so it's nice and warm and fabulously sunny and I've cleaned them with a gentle soap, rinsed them well and they're now sitting in the sun, drying off.

It got me thinking how others keep their shoesies clean and stink-free! :)
    Any tips?
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Do you mean satin shoes? A lot of women have their fabric shoes scotchguarded. I'm sure you probably have it there, only maybe under a different brand name. Scotchguard is spray-on fabric protectant. It makes stains less likely to set and fabric easier to clean.

I usually just conserve my fabric shoes, and wear my leather practice shoes as much as I can.

Anybody else?
  3. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and does anyone out there use a shoe dog? It's like two little sachets that you put into your dance shoes after each use to absorb moisture and prevent odor. Dance supply catalogs and ballet stores sometimes have them.
  4. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

hat and tennis shoe protectant work. I know the supadance catalog has those shoe sachets for sale, also try showtime shoes online, I think they have them as well.
  5. pygmalion

Have you tried the shoe protectant? I've always been afraid to do it, for fear the gunk might get on my shoe soles and ruin them. Ideas? :?
  6. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

keeping shoes clean

Thanks for all your replies, folks. I have Scotchguarded my shoes, but I like the idea of the shoe protectant and shoe dogs, though I'd fear for the poor doggies' well-being, given the state (and smell) of my shoes at times! :)
  7. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and there are also shoe-bag-dogs, which are slightly bigger sachet thingys, that go in your shoe bag to do the same thing-- absord moisture and prevent odor. And if it's too late for prevention, you can always use good old Odor-Eaters spray. It works pretty well, although my shoe repair shop sells some other stuff (can't remember the brand name) that works even better.
  8. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

You can mask off the soles with paper and masking tape and just spray the uppers.
  9. pygmalion

I'll try this. I have a few pairs of satin shoes I'd like to wear more often, but don't for fear of getting them too dirty. Thanks. :D

Jenn
  10. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

11. golddancer

golddancer New Member

Use the shoe protectant. Protect the suede sole by covering it with plastic wrap cut a little smaller than sole and taped in place with drafting tape.
  12. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

:lol: that is a wonderful suggestion golddancer!! ;)
  13. pygmalion

So what do you do to clean/maintain leather dance shoes? Guys and gals can get in on this one! :D
  14. golddancer

golddancer New Member

For the tops a good leather cleaning and coat of shoe polish.

Bottoms of leather shoes that aren't suede is more difficult.
  15. pygmalion

Did anybody here check the newly revamped dancesportcomps.com?

In two separate places, it is mentioned that, if you're a competitive dancer, you should keep your shoes clean. One coach even suggests taking drycleaning fluid with you to a comp.

The pet peeve is seeing women in $3000 gowns and dirty shoes. Food for thought, huh? :? 8)
  16. pygmalion

And I thought about it. How about tan leather shoes as an alternative? Any scuffs would probably show less, and be easier to polish out, with leather shoes. Hmm. Thoughts, anyone?
  17. golddancer

golddancer New Member

':)'
    Tan is a good wearable shoe. I always have a hard time finding good tan shoe polish sometimes. What is in the can is darker sometimes.
  18. pygmalion

And I guess an alternative would be to take backup shoes. I can't see taking cleaning fluid to a comp. Too risky. I can just see cleaning fluid spilling all over my costumes. :x Backup shoes are heavier, but probably a safer alternative, if they're properly broken in.

Have you tried the neutral shoe polish, golddancer? I've used that in the past on a bunch of different color shoes, and it seems to work well.
  19. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

For leather shoes (especially patent leather) the only thing I use to maintain my shoes is some vaseline or petroleum jelly. Dab it on, leave for a couple of hours so the leather soaks up what it needs and then polish off. Very cheap and works wonders!
  20. pygmalion

Hi dancin_feet.

Just curious. How do you break in your patent leather dance shoes. I've heard some horror stories about them sticking together. Does vaseline fix that, too?