General Dance Discussion > Cleaning dance shoes

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MadamSamba, Oct 17, 2003.

1. BreAna

BreAna Member

my latin shoes are well-loved and i'd like to make them look more lovable. they're tan satin with rhinestones along every strap, so the rhinestones have kept the straps looking fine. I try to only wear them for comps, performances, or if I know I'm only dancing rhythm that day. The satin on the heel looks fine because of that. The soles are turning dark and icky though. I've heard of washing them with a cloth soaked in woolite. any suggestions to make the soles pretty again?

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The soles, as in the part of the shoe that is in contact with the ground?

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the best way to keep soles looking good is to brush them regularly...

4. pygmalion

And keep from slipping and falling, too. *grin* I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around show soles looking good/bad. I'm easily confused, I suppose.

Yep. Brush those babies. If they're getting ratty/tatty, you can always have them resoled.

5. BreAna

BreAna Member

sorry, i meant the part where my foot touches them. i brush the bottoms regularly and they look fine.

6. pygmalion

Oh!! That makes more sense to me now. :-D samina has a method she recommends for washing fabric shoes. Should work for the whole shoe, including the insole. I wonder if I can find it . :car:

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i stand by my tide. :tongue:

8. pygmalion

9. BreAna

BreAna Member

thank you! i probably won't soak the whole shoe but I'll wash the part that i need to.

10. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I just now soaked my whole shoe and scrubbed. They were so bad! We'll see what happens!

11. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree!

12. justforkix

justforkix New Member

Wash shoe and socks properly is the best way