cleaning shoes sole

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, May 29, 2009.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

I just started marking my black suede soles with a large black permanent felt marker. It looked pretty good and if you have problems with slippery floor it will give a good tighter grip on the floor. I tried to clean my black suede sole with soap and water to get rid of the white dust and stuff but this time I couldnt wait for it to dry. Hope this helps for those last minute shoe adjustments.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i never heard of that. what about just using a shoe brush?
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh my goodness...no offense but, both seem like horrible ideas...first, why would one care to put marker on the bottom of their shoe?...I can see filling out scuffs to the body of the shoe but the sole?...this can't be good for the suede not to mention the likelihood that it may get on someone's floor....and as to washing the bottom of a dance shoe...IME never a good idea to get a dance shoe wet most particularly not the bottom of the shoe...maybe a soapy rag into the smelly regions but not to the sole....I have never done anything to the sole of the shoe but to brush it...when there is no longer anything to brush, the shoe goes bye-bye or becomes my gnarliest set of practice or social shoes
  4. anniep

anniep New Member

I've never heard of the marker thing either... but I frequenty soak for a couple of seconds in water if the dance floor is slippery (for rhythm). It makes the suede on the bottom perfect in my opinion and has never ruined a shoe. I also brush the suede in between uses...
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wow...never heard of it...heard of latin folks using oil and smooth folks using baby powder...I have never felt the need to do either
  6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I've heard water mentioned before, and I know one of prus during open rhythm at Wisconsin was using water.