Tango Argentino > Close Embrace Tango Teachers

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Lois Donnay, Oct 26, 2016.

1. oldtangoguy

oldtangoguy Active Member

Gustavo, as well as Chicho Frumboli and Fabian Salas all refer to their styles in the same words: Tango. None accept the "nuevo" sobriquet. And BTW, all can dance beautifully in a close embrace as the floor conditions require.

2. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

Yeah, I'm sure they can, but you can hardly compare what they do in performance to what's done at a milonga. And what I've seen them do doesn't resemble traditional tango very much. I realize they say it's all "tango," but that's a pretty big tent and can lead to confusion. What do you call a style wherein you never open the embrace then? On the other hand, I don't want to start a lengthy terminological discussion of the types and criteria of various forms of tango. There's Tango Voice for that.

3. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I think the issue the OP was getting at is the teaching style, not the dancing or performance style. I would also imagine she is familiar with the more famous "names" that she could consider bringing to her community. That didn't seem to be the direction she was looking to go.

Lois Donnay likes this.
  4. oldtangoguy

Yes, Zoop. And more specifically, she was looking for names to refer students to.

5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Right.. and someone to bring to do her class while she takes a vacation.

oldtangoguy likes this.
  6. Desert Diva

Desert Diva Member

I'd like to ask out of all the teachers you mentioned - who do you like in terms of teaching style the best and would recommend? I really don't consider Paul in Albuquerque since he has a job in Tucson and splits his time between the two, but he's a lovely dancer and great D.J.

I'm looking to seriously study, but don't like the emphasis, style, and technique that is taught in the Las Cruces/El Paso area. (In my humble opinion it's the "let's see how many ganchos, volcadas, and other flashy moves we can do.") I feel the dance level and styling is much like the "blue pill" offered in The Matrix - washed down with a glass of electric kool-aid.

That means I'm going to have to travel to find a "proper" instructor. This involves some driving time, motel costs, and of course the cost of the lessons. I've talked to a few people, and Eva and Pablo come highly recommended - albeit pricey at $90.00/hour.

7. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

What about a trip to Buenos Aires for a month to study and visit?

8. Desert Diva

Desert Diva Member

That's EXACTLY what I'd love to do and feel that would give me the best opportunity.

Sadly, I have the responsibility of a 15 year old terrier-mix (that I've had since six weeks old) who is recovering from a five day hospital stay with pancreatitis (resolved) and was diagnosed with stage 2 kidney disease. We all know how this story with a beloved dog will end - but for now she's happy and stable. After 15 years of companionship, loyalty, and unconditional love I "owe" my best girl every advantage I can give her as long as there's hope.

When the time comes, I'm off to Buenos Aires for a three month stay...

9. oldtangoguy

I've not studied with Eva & Pablo except in group class, so I can't really comment. I will say that Liz Haight is one of my all time favorite instructors. She focuses almost entirely on the connection - very soft and enveloping - and on retaining the connection at all times. I can instantly identify follows who have studied with her due to the quality of their embrace.

10. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

Oh great, now I am going to be analyzing that analogy for months!

Let's see, the Blue Pill is a dreamy world where I can have Tango superpowers, like jumping from one rooftop to arrive at a Milonga on another rooftop, or Tangoing on any surface, including the walls and ceiling. There is also really good music in basement nightclubs. The only downside is when I'm heavily introspective, like when writing my Not Touchy Feely posts here on DF, I vaguely feel like there is more out there that I don't quite grasp.

The Red Pill is the gritty real world, with sticky floors, ladies who say no, I hurt, I get tired, and I step on lady's feet. My triumphs, however, don't just happen but I feel I have earned them through hours of work.

Tango is a form of alternative reality... I've heard Tandas described as "Being in love for 10 minutes." Is Tango in general the Blue Pill?

OTOH, I've had enough blunders and social angst I'm sure I have taken the Red Pill.

But wait, it was more Red Pill at first and is becoming more and more Blue Pill...

Desert Diva I would enjoy hearing more on your Blue Pill vs. Red Pill views on Tango.

11. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

I also recommend Eva & Pablo. They are among the visiting teachers that teach & dance in the "close embrace" style vs. the 'in an embrace" style that I described earlier.

oldtangoguy likes this.
  12. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Is it a price for the couple and venue?
    Do you have a dancing partner?

13. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

$90 is expensive for a private lesson with two outstanding instructors?? In our neck of the wood it would be super cheap. In fact, it doesn't exist. :)
    I highly recommend Eva and Pablo, by the way.
    Also, Alicia Pons, she spends some significant shanks of time in New Mexico and Arizona nowadays, check her schedule.
    If you ever in San Francisco Bay Area, feel free to contact me for recommendations or any tango related assistance.

oldtangoguy likes this.
  14. Desert Diva

Desert Diva Member

I'm sorry, what I "meant" to say it's expensive for me at the moment. I have a 15 year-old dog that just had a recent hospitalization for pancreatitis and was diagnosed with stage 2 kidney disease. If I took lessons, I would also have to "figure in" driving 450 miles round trip and a motel stay. It's just not feasible at the moment. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Mladenac likes this.
  15. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

I'm leaving Monday for my annual 3 week stay. I've been going every year since 1998. Come with me next year!

16. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Good heavens! So this is what some of you in the US
    thinks is close embrace tango. It's certainly not what
    Argentines in general dance socially in milongas.
    I suppose I shouldn't be surprised anymore at what damage
    people are prepared to do to their own bodies in an effort
    to attract attention. The result in this case, to my eyes
    at least, is a grotesque and stressed exaggeration.

Normally that is their own business but they (who should know
    better) are trying to make it the dance of others and
    ultimately that is my objection.

Mladenac likes this.
  17. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

That hadn't been the question.

18. Lilly_of_the_valley

Eva and Pablo were both trained by old milongueros, and are respected in BA traditional milongas as great dancers. So, there.

19. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

They may have been trained by the old milongueros,
    whatever that means since they were mainly not teachers
    at all, but they don't dance as them. If you want to dance
    such an exaggerated style, that's your choice (although I know
    you didn't) but do tell me how my my criticism is unjustified.

I went to an out of central Buenos Aires milonga today, the porteƱos
    were dancing in many ways but the notable style that was missing
    was anything like Eva and Pablo, not even the demonstration which
    wasn't particularly polished but was pleasant to see.

20. Lilly_of_the_valley

For starters, I don't see anything exaggerated in their dancing. All the steps he did would be the same as let's say, just from the top of my head, and old milonguero Carlos Biccai would lead on me when we dance in a milonga, including the sacadas and off the axis lean. The size of the movements and the amount of the floor covered may be much smaller, of course, but essentially the same kind of dance. And most old milongueras embellish and play with their feet much more than she does in the video.
    I believe your attention might be drawn to insignificant stylistic details here, and not to the essential.