Tango Argentino > Close embrace

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Shaka, Dec 28, 2010.

1. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Most steps could be said to be diagonal, on that basis. Several reputable published authors (David Turner, Christine Deniston & others) would say that backward walks are, effectively, taken on one track, not two, requiring every step to be diagonal to a small degree, but we would not generally think of them in that way, even if such a movement satisfied a 'dictionary definition' of the word.

Perhaps you should address your own rhetorical quotation : what IS diagonal? I originally cited Ballroom technique as saying that it is as much to the side as forward or back (ie 45 degrees to the reference line, whatever it is). I accept that such a definition doesn't 'rule' here, but goodness, neither does the personal view of any individual poster who wishes to tell me off for my impertinence (and that is not a reference to you) ...

The dictionary is clear. Diagonal is a straight line between the opposite corners of any rectangular shape, so the angle can be anything between a tiny fraction more than 0, or a tiny fraction less than 90. That isn't terribly helpful.

2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Could it be because a constructive discussion was not on the OP agenda to begin with?;)

3. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with giving people a benefit of the doubt.

4. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I saw them both. They are both fundamentally correct with style differences.

Why don't you show us with a video of yourself instead? It is hard enough to write about dancing and leads to much misunderstanding, if not written right.

If you can show us with your own video how it's supposed to be done, then maybe it will explain your position better. You have such an expert opinion that I'm sure you can practice what you preach. So please, show me.

I'll post the link for you...

5. UKDancer

Oh good!

But by the way, I'll be back for just as many times an aspect of this discussion hold my interest, and while anyone wants to debate/discuss with me. Dave Bailey raised an interesting point about diagonal movement, and I'm afraid that it has not been your rather eccentric contributions that have prompted me to post here at all.

6. Shaka

Shaka New Member

I'm a polite guy. Do I have to tell you that you were first to be disrespectful? "Arrogance", "arrogance" again and again, don't you have objective arguments to oppose? I don't mind about insults but I answer to them. We can share opinions in a polite way between ladies and gentlemen but it's sad that it wasn't the way you chose.

Have a nice day (and I'm sincere about it).

7. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

It's sort of like the Jerry Springer Show. You know you shouldn't be watching, but it's so ridiculous, it becomes rather funny to watch. It's one thing to have style preferences, but quite another to just come out and flatly state well established things as wrong. She's already been put in checkmate by Temza (and others), but she fails to acknowledge it, and she still keeps stepping into it and acting like it smells good.

At least you have to admire her resolve.

[​IMG]

8. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I did, didn't I? That was why I made that post. :confused:

Did I do that? If so, I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I was not trying to tell you off, I was trying to point out that we may not all mean the same thing by diagonal. If diagonal means 45* to some, and anything less (more?) is forward or back, then we are not using the term the same way. If direction relates to the LOD and not angle to the pelvis, then people are clearly talking about two different things. I'm just trying to clear up misunderstandings based on use of the words rather than our views of technique.

My point exactly. That's why saying things like "Never step diagonally" doesn't make much sense. (not that you said that.. it was someone else, I believe ;))

9. Zoopsia59

You really don't see how your VERY FIRST POST was disrespectful?

10. Shaka

Shaka New Member

Thank you Ampster. I now understand why people do wrong. That will be something I have to make my partners focus on. I'm glad I had that discussion.

Have a nice day too ;)

11. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I know I shouldn't ask, but what made you think your first post was not arrogant and disrespectful (BTW, also, whiny and preachy)?

[​IMG]

12. UKDancer

No, I don't think you did: which was why I took the question to be rhetorical. Perhaps I misunderstood your intention (followers do that with me all the time, and it's usually my fault).

As I understand what you said, you are of the school that holds any deviation from 'straight' is diagonal, which while being strictly true, isn't very useful on its own...

No, you didn't. I realised after I posted that I might be misinterpreted, and edited my post after you started your reply. I always meant someone else.

No I don't think I did ever say that (or if I did, I didn't mean it in an absolute sense). But forward or backward are not the only alternatives to diagonal, even on my normal usage of the word (which is 45 degrees to the reference line), because there are all the points in between. I think all I really have to say (but have taken a great many words to express) is that the diagonal component of a step into a cross is so small a part of the whole movement, that it is not particularly helpful to think of the step as being predominantly diagonal.

I haven't really anything to add, so perhaps it's time to just let the topic drop. The thread doesn't really deserve to be kept alive, even if off topic (although I thought it a valiant attempt to take it there...)

13. Shaka

Shaka New Member

I appreciate that kind of sharing. I can be rude to rudeness but I'm usually an open-minded guy. So don't take it too personnaly if I'm rude in my words.

I think we're confusing about diagonal patterns and diagonal movements of the legs.

14. UKDancer

I think you are confused, full stop.

...and I really haven't anything to add, and will leave it there.

15. Zoopsia59

I have written quite a few posts objectively responding to yours. I have also asked you specific and direct questions that you chose to ignore and never answered. Others have as well.

Instead you call us disabled (colorblind) and insist that the problem is that we aren't capable of understanding, as a way for you to avoid actually explaining clearly.

You deflect, repeat and then contradict yourself. You make references to how your posts have brought to light other people's errors of technique without knowing anything about how anyone here dances or referencing whose technique needed (and gained) improvement through your posts.

You consistently refuse to give us examples of what you think is correct method, going so far as to backtrack when your example (Christina) is used as proof of other's points. Requests for you to better explain or illustrate what you mean are answered by continued references to the 2 videos already posted (changing your tune on Christina midway) and your all too frequent excuse that you can't explain to people who can't see.

There are MANY ways in which you have not been polite, gentlemanly, clear with your explanations, or even consistent.

If you want to clear this all up, I suggest you start by answering the direct questions already put to you.

Or, as so many have requested, send us to a link of you demonstrating how it should be done. There's limited value in seeing how it SHOULDN"T be done, so pointing out videos that are wrong is not enough. Teachers don't show their students only the wrong way and expect them to figure out the right way through process of elimination (especially using only 1 or 2 examples). They demonstrate the right way.

I'd hate to see the result if a teacher showed students a few wrong examples without any context of the correct way for comparison and then when they still didn't get it, told them that he couldn't teach them because they were unable to see it for themselves due to some personal flaw of theirs

If you want to teach us, you're going to have to demonstrate the right way. Its really that simple

16. Shaka

Shaka New Member

I've never criticized anyone here first. I'm just rude in my answers towards rude people.

My first post wasn't directed against someone in particular. I was just criticizing some of what I think are bad ways.

That's only my point of view. In fact, I was expected to be opposed arguments like that someone does that way because it's convenient, comfortable, or because the teachers have told to do it that way. Then it would have been very constructive.

Nevertheless, never mind because I've found what I was looking for ;)

17. Shaka

Shaka New Member

See your rudeness? Then don't expect me to be kind with you.

18. Zoopsia59

Yeah... that's what we've been trying to say.
    But you've been presenting it as unarguable FACT.

19. Zoopsia59

Since he says he found what he was looking for, and it hasn't been particularly constructive, I guess you may be right.

20. Zoopsia59

From your 1st post:

It seems to me that while this is not directed at one specific Dance Forums participant, it IS directed at anyone reading... ie: ALL DF AT forum members.

Therefore it was a slam to all of us... patronizing and insulting.