Dancers Anonymous > Clothing Dramas

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Lioness, Jun 15, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good suggestion, fasc. The basic wrap dress shape hasn't changed in at least 30 (maybe 40?) years, and it still looks good. Who is that designer? Diane Von Furstenberg keeps popping into my head. The first time I saw her wrap dress was in a Vogue pattern catalog in the early to mid 70s, sometime, and the shape hasn't changed. Basic wrap. 3/4 inch sleeves.

My other recommendation is don't be afraid to go to posh department stores. Two reasons. One. You can get some ideas of looks that you can imitate, using less expensive clothes. The other reason is that some really, really posh stores have great sales, especially at the end of the season and especially if you don't wear one of the most common sizes. This is where being super skinny or a tad on the plump side can come in handy. The girls in the middle of the rack have lots of company, so fewer things go on clearance. Look anyway, though. :wink:

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I prefer the ones with a long sleeve or a cap sleeve as I see no good reason to break a line on my already stocky frame...but yea, really hard to go wrong

3. pygmalion

The original dress by Diane Von Furstenberg (It was DVF. I googled.) had 3/4 sleeves, which was a big deal at the time. Can't remember why. I was a kid being dragged along while my Mom and sisters talked ENDLESSLY about patterns and fabric. For some reason, those sleeves were revolutionary at the time, as was the dress.

But yes. You can get whatever sleeve length you want, these days, and, even though you can still buy wrap dresses from DVF, you can buy them at a lot of much less expensive places as well.

Not to beat a dead horse here, L, but this is another classic. Fasc is right. You can't go wrong with this one. :cool:

4. fascination

and, if you are built like F, you will fare better without the 3/4 length sleeve...which IIRC was altogether too popular in the 70s

5. pygmalion

Hehe! Ahh. The 70s, when everyone wore polyester double knit and liked it. *shudder* :lol:

And you make a good point. Know what looks good on you. :cool:

6. pygmalion

Oh yeah and "know what looks good on you" extends to colors as well. I know it can be a bit overwhelming, but, once you know which shapes and colors work for you (and which ones don't) you will be way ahead of many, if not most, other people.

I cannot remember how I "got my colors done." It's been a billion years. There are books about it, but I didn't get much out of the books. I think it's better to have a person do your colors for you and help talk you through what works and why.

Maybe it was a make-up consultation? I'll try to remember. Hmm. *scratches head*

7. fascination

colors...are key...I have a few colors in which I KNOW I am maximizing my assets...definately know that...and you don't have to get an analysis...most of us can wear one particular thing and folks will gush over how that color looks on us...

8. pygmalion

Yup. For me jewel tones are a big yes. Anything involving yellow or orange or tan = a big heck no.

9. fascination

for me, it depends vastly upon whether or not I am in full comp colorization mode (wearing a deep tan and adding warmer highlights to my hair)...or whether it is during my winter break when the hair and skin get to return to normal...some colors remain consistantly good over both periods (robin's egg blue and jade green), others are specific to one period of time or the other (yellow and lime green can only happen when I am in full coppertone girl mode) ...

10. pygmalion

Knowledge is power. :wink: :cool:

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wrap-arounds are very flattering for curvy figures, too... :)

12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yep. Another look which is flattering for all different body types is that very 1950's-ish type of shape. And you can always add a cardigan. Talk about knowing the particular look that works for you...that's mine. I gravitate towards it naturally, but I've also learned that it looks good on me. And it always looks slightly out of style, but always classic and classy. Works.every.time.

As an example (that I just fell in love with): http://www. modcloth.com/shop/dresses/at-every-pattern-dress-in-waves

13. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I had to google what a wrap around dress was :oops:
    I've got a shirt in that style that looks pretty nice, so I think the dress will work too. I'll keep an eye out for them on my shopping spree. I'm not sure how they'll look with large boobs on a smallish frame, but we'll see.

Re: colours...I know a few of my great ones. But my colours have changed since I dyed my hair, and I haven't fully realised which one work all the time, yet. As a child, we got lots of bags of hand-me-down clothes, in lots of different colours, that I got to try on. I haven't been lucky enough to get that since I dyed my hair.

Still definite yes-es are green, blue, purple. Certain shades of pink are lovely. You couldn't pay me to wear hot pink, tanned or untanned. Khaki looks pretty good. Grey and neutral sort of shades look great.

White and black are meh. Brown is ok. Still not entirely sure about red, either. It was great when I was blonde, but...

Pretty sure yellow is a no-go. Orange, too.

Peaches: That dress is gorgeous...I'm not sure how good it'd look on me, though. I have really wide shoulders, and I've never worn a dress that has so much material over the shoulders but none of the arms...More to the list of things to try!

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lio, look for a wrap dress in a *print*... they are much better IMO in a print rather than a solid color. and you can get away with some very cool color combos in those prints, not to mention cool retro 50s, 60s and 70s designs.

15. fascination

lio, I have ...um...more than a handful ....and wraps work fine for me...occasionally, if one cuts too low, a safety pin will do wonders...but they look good on me...I would echo that a print can help to even that bust emphasis out, but a dark solid will also work, like a deep plum, hunter green, navy, chocolate or charcoal...and you can still do awesome stuff with accessories then...you can also add a shrug

16. pygmalion

Love it! This style (shirtwaist, I think it's called ...) also works for me.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

FTFY :tongue:

18. pygmalion

That too. :wink:

Another fashion tip. When you find something that works, work it! Meaning don't be afraid to buy multiples of the "same" dress or top or whatever. Most people see color but not much beyond that, IMO. I learned this, back when I used to sew all my own clothes. I had a dress pattern that I loved (a set of variations on the shirtwaist that Peaches posted.) I made that dress in every color imaginable, and with other "red herring" variations, such as sleeve length and skirt length. Only other seamstresses knew it was the same dress. Prints help with this. A lot. A shirtwaist in a leopard print and the exact same dress (shape) in a solid crimson DO NOT look like the same dress, to most people.

19. fascination

lolz...well, she mentioned only her bust as being ample...

for my part, I am hour glass so I am not worried about either, because mercifully, while both are ample, they do balance one another

20. pygmalion

I found this interesting article about body types and what to wear. HTH.

http://www.squidoo dot com/AHTXbodytypes