Dancers Anonymous > Clothing Dramas

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Lioness, Jun 15, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

On wearing classics: DVF introduced the wrap dress in 1973. Here she is wearing one in 1973. 39 years ago. She could wear that to my office tomorrow.

[​IMG]

2. pygmalion

Here's virtually the same dress, for sale today. ($35, btw :wink: )

[​IMG]

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Nice! Where did you find that? (Never hurts to add something nice, and cheap to the wardrobe!)

4. pygmalion

http://www.6pm dot com/christin-michaels-noelle-wrap-dress-grey

Glad to be of service. :wink:

5. Peaches

Sweet! Thank you!

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Speaking of colors, I have a couple of books on that.

One is called "Color Revival". It expands on the older "Color me Beautiful" book by taking into account one more component of color and determining the person's dominant component, so she ends up with 12 fairly expansive palettes. I found it to be fairly easy to use. One thing it says, btw, that if you dye your hair, it makes no difference in determining your palette. Although, I have to say, from personal observation, that sometimes people dye their hair in highly unflattering colors which don't work with the rest of their physical persona (even if the color works perfectly for your favorite celebrity, it won't necessarily work for you!).

Another book is called "Color of Style". Its author proposes that people should find 8 basic colors based on their natural skin, eyes and hair colors and just wear those (he gives them funky names like your energy color, your romantic color and so forth). I guess he sort of builds your signature palette. He also has some funny suggestions on how to use them. I found it to be an amusing read for most, but not quite so useful as far as the color revival book. However, upon analyzing the contents of my closet, I realized a lot of it is already in those colors, especially stuff I bought myself (as opposed to received as a gift).

7. pygmalion

Hah! I *think* I found a way to post the front of that dress. Cute, isn't it?

[​IMG]

8. pygmalion

Thanks, t. I'll check out Color Revival. :cool:

9. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Had a talk to more various store workers today. Helped me a lot.

> Classier than a clubbing dress, but less formal than cocktail
    > The family's 90 year old grandmother is going to be there. Keep that in mind. (Family owned company)
    > Nothing that will get you gossiped about in a bad way for the next few years...in the course of the conversation, I heard drama and gossip about quite a few terrible clothing choices over the years.

With that in mind, I actually have a couple of dresses that might already suit. One of them I wore to a wedding, but can be suitably up or down dressed. It was almost an LBD...but it's sorta browny creamy instead.
    I also have a pretty greeny bluey dress that people on my FB may have seen, and that may be too tight depending on how much weight I've lost/put on since I bought it. Pretty sure I've lost some...but not sure.

Going shopping Thursday. Will update on what I find :D

10. pygmalion

Looking forward to it. L. :-D

Okay. Here's my dilemma. Looking for input. I need some comfortable work shoes that don't look comfortable. :lol: I work on a campus that was designed to help people stay healthy -- aka walk as far as possible from their cars to their desks. No exaggeration a quarter of a mile, maybe more, on concrete. I don't mind the walk, but I AM NOT walking it in stilettos. So, most of the time, I walk into work in my driving moccasins or in running shoes. Then I'm so comfortable that I "forget" to take them off. I can get away with sneaks because it's a business casual environment, so people wear everything from sneaks to Manolo Blahniks. I think I want something in between, preferably costing A LOT less than $500. :lol:

I'm looking for a shoe that's stylish, adaptable enough to wear with a variety of outfits and comfortable enough to walk a country mile or close. If the shoe is groovy enough, I don't mind buying multiple colors.

11. bia

bia Well-Known Member

pygmalion, I like Clarks for comfort. Some of their sandals are clunky-looking, but they've got some attractive styles, too. I have a pair of cute peep-toe flats that are great for trekking across campus and pacing around in front of a class for hours at a time. And one of my favorite students complimented them the first time I wore them.

Just because you asked this question, I was looking on Zappos and see that Clarks makes pretty heels, too! With lots of reviews praising their comfort. Darn it, I just bought some new work shoes, and I was determined to call it a day. But I could really use a comfy pair of heels...

12. Lioness

How about comfy boots? I have a pair that I bought ages ago, and they're the comfiest thing I've ever worn. They have a little heel, but not very much. They look great.

13. bia

bia Well-Known Member

My wallet is relieved -- they're out of my size. Clearly it's a sign that I don't need to be shoe shopping right now.

14. pygmalion

Hehe! I hear ya.

Both of your suggestions are great. I combined the two and found these at shoebuy dot com.

[​IMG]

And these

[​IMG]

And these

[​IMG]

I've known about the reputation of Clark's for comfort for a LONG time. I always thought that all Clark's were ugly. Thanks for suggesting that I take a second look. :-D Not cheap -- about $100 for a pair of shoes. About $200 for boots. And worth every penny, from what I've heard.

15. pygmalion

I left out. I think these are some cute shoes and boots. Off to check out Aerosole. :-D

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Wedges. Leave the high boots for fall or winter.

17. pygmalion

Yep. I figure that the knee-high boots would be perfect with a skirt in the wintertime. The demi-boots would go fine with pants any time of the year. The wedges would be great right now.

@bia Don't let your wallet off the hook, yet. Check out aerosoles dot com career shoes link. There are tons of really pretty shoes on sale, especially if your shoe wardrobe is big enough that you can afford to buy colors that are off the beaten track. Awesome sale!

(No offense, L. Not trying to leave you out. I think Aerosole is a US brand and I didn't see any international shipping info. )

When the heck did aerosoles upgrade? Really pretty shoes! Aerosole used to be the old lady shoe store in the mall, back in the day. Something clearly has changed. Very cool.

18. Lioness

All good...Can't really afford any more boots, anyway.

I did just completely forget that it's summer over there, though. I'm almost at the point of trying to wear ugg boots to work.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Perhaps the desire to appeal to a wider audience, and therefore increase sales, thereby increasing profits!

20. Peaches

Love me some Aerosoles.