General Dance Discussion > Club dance/ college bar dance "etiquette"

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by knucklehead1, Sep 1, 2012.

1. knucklehead1

knucklehead1 New Member

Hello,

Ive recently decided to take up club/hip hop/modern dancing lessons so that I can finally learn how to move on the dance floor. Having quit drinking recently, I find that dancing is a perfect alternative to spend your time at a club/bar, instead of nervously sitting at a table gulping down alcohol because your lack of confidence in your dancing ability.

However, I do have one question concerning how to approach women on the dance floor without being creepy.

Since ive never really been that confident on the dancefloor, I usually kind of just go out there and feel really creepy trying to get someone to dance with me.

I dont know how some guys do it. I have friends who know absolutely nothing about dancing except for unskilled "grinding" and they seem to usually go out and find a girl to dance with.

I have even seen guys approach women from behind and grab them to start grinding, which in my opinion is more than just creepy - its forceful.

I understand that women who are out on the dancefloor probably want a guy to dance with, but I still feel kind of creepy just going out there and starting to dance with a complete stranger without so much as a word (talking on the dancefloor is usually not how its done because you can barely hear yourself talk).

So basically, I want to know the "etiquette" of approaching women on the dancefloor and initiating dance with them without being forceful or creeping them out.

Any guys who are successful with this.... can you help me out?

2. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I don't know "how it's done" today. If I were in those circumstances, I would find a lady who wasn't dancing, get her attention, and invite her to dance with a smile and a gestured invitation.

3. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I don't have much club experience, but I know verbally asking is not usually a good idea - the music's too loud. A good low-stress, informal way to ask someone "want to dance?" is to make eye contact. Then, smiling and tilting your head a little gives the nonverbal cue that you're asking a question (and what other question would you ask, when everyone's dancing?) It sounds complicated and forced, but I bet you do it all the time without realizing it.

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi knucklehead, welcome to DF, and welcome to the other side

Speaking frankly, nevertheless it certainly will be a stony way and surely several times you will pack it all in during the next month!

All together these really are important questions! Every guy got his own style. Some do it simply by personality, some by look, some by money. You´ve choosen the supreme discipline. But be patient, wont be a fast thing.

To grab a girl from behind is a dominant or sexist behavior, anyway. I would not recommend that. Girls look out for different qualities: being skilled, or the ability to communicate, to talk sensitively, and of course of being socialized.

So my advice: find a peer group of guys all interested in dancing or acrobatics. So since you start being an integral component of such a gang, the rest will follow automatically.