Salsa > "Combinations" vs. "Dancing"

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by genEus, Sep 7, 2005.

1. genEus

genEus New Member

(I'm like a kid in a toy store when it comes to watching salsa dancers)

Isn't it easy to differentiate between dancers who have salsa in their ears and those who have it in their hearts? I see dancers who have many cool moves but I watch their attitude, their facial expressions, their bodies and I don't see the fire that is this music. Others I see, they may not be doing any very complicated combinations but you can just feel the fire within! That's when the word "hot" comes to mind. 8)

.. OK, I'm done with my random lunch thought for today. Any thoughts?

2. Danoo

Danoo New Member

yeah ive been watchin really good dancers lately and they have a really good set of combinations going on
    but looking at there faces they have a really serious face and rarely crack a smile, and dont even smile/laugh if the follower goes wrong
    not my type of dance going on there :lol:

3. africana

africana New Member

ah yes the dancing robots lol

actually there's a culture among advanced dancers that one must be smile-less and as expressionless as possible, giving that air of "I don't give a d---" to be considered bada$$ heehe

Personally I always admire those who can enjoy the dancing and express their individual signature for passion/joy/excitement no matter how complicated the moves, that's what I strive for

4. latindia

latindia New Member

I think I'm slowly learning to distinguish between the two types. Doing lots of combinations is admirable, but I too prefer the type who do fewer things, but with passion, style, timing (should I just replace all these with 'sabor'? 8) ). More importantly, those who look happy dancing as a couple.

Of course, the best ones are those who do both.

--
    Raj

5. Big10

Big10 Member

I know what you mean! The difference struck me a couple of years ago, when I was watching two couples dancing next to each other, and I remember it vividly because it made a difference in my long-term philosophy about dancing.

One couple included this guy whose dancing I had always admired (and I still do), and he was doing lots of his impressive flashy tricks, their timing was great, and the follower would effortlessly execute multiple spins -- but he and his partner weren't smiling at all. Right next to them was a friend of mine dancing with his girlfriend. He and his girlfriend are both good dancers, but they don't do many "tricks." Anyway, I found myself enjoying watching my friend much more, as he and his girlfriend frequently looked into each others eyes, smiled, and seemed to flow much better with the music. That kind of connection was what I decided I would try to emphasize more in my own dancing, even if it meant not learning all of the fanciest combinations or ever being regarded as one of the best dancers in the city. I still try to learn new moves every once in awhile, but I don't consider that to be the focus of my dancing. Luckily, I have several female friends who like my style of dancing, so that keeps me happy. :D 8)

6. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Really? I thought it would just be the opposite.

7. africana

africana New Member

wow that's wonderful then :p

(people don't be so literal ay)

8. kdogg

kdogg New Member

:lol: :lol: so you took my comments literally. :wink:

9. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

I think these are the pattern-advanced dancers who doesn't get what's beyond the combinations yet. Some of the truly advanced dancers who are in the know know how to show some expression on their face or express some emotion while dancing :)

10. brujo

brujo New Member

smiling and musicality is easy - looking like a robot takes years and years of dedicated practice...

11. HF

HF New Member

Quotable!!!

12. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

:lol:

13. africana

africana New Member

yep no time for attitude :cheers:

14. Big10

Big10 Member

If your definition of "truly advanced" includes showing some expression, then there's no way to refute that. However, I've seen a number of dancers with lots of patterns, experience performing, and experience teaching (whether you want to call them "advanced" or use some other term), yet they still smile very little -- so I think there's some truth to africana's original quote. Those dancers definitely "know how" to show different facial expressions while dancing, but some just think it's cool not to. Moreover, as a practical matter, for many of the people who go dancing 4 or 5 nights a week plus lots of additional practice, it's probably hard to get excited about hearing many of the same old songs with the same old partners. Going to the club becomes more of a familiar routine, rather than true enjoyment. That's why I try to give myself a break every once in awhile, so that the music and people are still "fresh" to me when I decide to go dancing.

15. africana

africana New Member

You hit the hammer on the head: too much of a good thing...
    I've met more than many dancers who lose the fire and enthusiasm from doing too much, seeing the same people, dancing to the same songs way too often, I've been there myself

These days I limit outings to no more than twice a week (except for congresses :) ), and I hardly ever listen to salsa outside a club, that's how I keep my excitement

16. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Some of the best salsa performers in my city are not the best social dancers. So I think that while they can "turn on" their expression and "sabor" for the performance, it lacks quite a bit in their social dancing. They are too concerned with looking good and dancing with the right people. I'd much rather dance with a guy who does a few moves with gusto and interacts with me rather than an automaton who can spin me to oblivion with no heart.

17. tacad

tacad New Member

Note to self: Must travel to Seattle.

:wink:

18. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

Some may think it's cool to do that, but I think the ones who do may not have that much experience in dance under their belt to start with and they are not "really" in the know as far as performance level - interpretation and expression. Besides, how many truly advanced salsa dancers that perform and teach with years of experience are out there. Not many. The pros I'm referring to who are anybody in their community even when social dancing have some expression when they dance. That's how I differentiate the "truly advanced" dancers to some of those that are pattern-advanced and have some experience.

That is very true and in many other cities, too. I feel the same, I much rather dance with those who express something from within and interact than just do multiple patterns with nothing else.

19. tacad

tacad New Member

Note to self: Must travel to San Fransisco.

:wink: :wink:

20. africana

africana New Member

"truly advanced" "more advanced" "pattern advanced" who really cares :lol: as brujo pointed out "advanced" is subjective

the most important thing IMO is that newcomers in a scene can watch dancers and see the heart of the salsa culture i.e. vibrancy, excitement, passion executed with technique that ensures that partners and other dancers around said "advanced" don't get hurt. And in watching these "advanced" dancers the newcomers get excited about learning how to dance, and find good role models for all aspects of dancing, including feeling free to express themselves, contributing more positive energy