General Dance Discussion > Comp Results of DFers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by elisedance, Jan 21, 2008.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

No comp results here, haven't been to one in quite awhile. ;)

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'll have some in...a little under two weeks now! Hopefully not too embarassing, as this'll be my first time doing Standard (plus Smooth and Rhythm.)

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Seacoast? Seems you end up dancing against others from your own studio there, and inevitably other students using your level as "warm up":rolleyes:. Hope it goes well for you.

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

DOI: the key I think is to look as comps as parts of a process and not ends. Two reasons for this - first they are incredibly variable depending not only on you but the floor, other competitors and perhaps most of all the judging panel. Thus, it really does not matter how well you do at this one, its only the first indicator for many. Actually if you visit the dancesplaza you can see these trend lines for top couples - for example Canada's Anton and Anna:
    http://dancesportinfo.net/CompareRating.aspx?ID=12184&Style=B&Status=A
    the scores vary a lot going up and down with general trend.

Second, I find that way I put less pressure on myself :)

I have another comp this weekend for which the last one was really a warm up. The Falls will be more of a challenge so we may not do as well (just girding myself here!). Either way, I am actually enjoying competing for the first time so that is the real big advance...

5. chandra

chandra New Member

Got dead last in tour finals at my comp last weekend.
    That was fun!
    WHeeeee :D
    -Amy
    (you win some you loose some, its cool, actually.)

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Great attitude CD - plus there's only one way to go eh?

when you buy your first apartment/house you are usually embarassed with how it looks when you move in and don't want anyone to see it. So you spend all your time and energy (and money) doing it up whereupon you invite your friends round. At that point you start to regret that you had not had the party before the reno and worse, that you did not take pictures etc.

But you've not made these mistakes, consider this your purchase pics and house party! And keep us all updated.....

7. Rugby

Rugby Member

This would be fine if everyone went to the same competitions. Elisedance and I do not go into the competitions that people post about and making a thread for two people seems rather ridiculous. I doubt anyone wants to read about competitions they do not go into or know of.
    I am interested in hearing how the people on this forum did and what they learned or experienced but I am not going to wade through 7 pages of each competition to find out. Whats wrong with this thread? It makes it a central point for competitons and I think it is a fine idea. I would add that people could add to their results the interesting things that happened to them while out on the floor.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sure...there isn't a thread for every comp...but most folks want to talk about how they did at a comp on the comp thread if there is one...that is all...no reason why we can't have both...but I doubt that folks who are already in the habit will double post...but am sure it will serve a fine purpose for comps that don't have a thread in particular

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Personally, I would rather post in a general thread than the comp one since in my expericne most people I know at the same comp already know what I did. Lets just see how it plays out... thats the great thing about DF, if it works it suvives, if it doesn't it disappears on its own!

10. fascination

exactly....and it needn't be an either or thing...just sayin...if ya wanna know what's up w/ me...if I post it at all...it's prolly gonna be on the comp thread...or, lacking one, a very general statement here...it's just easier, while saying anything else one might want to say about a given comp, to mention one's outcome there

11. danceronice

I can only think of one person who'd be dancing Rhythm in my age bracket (at least that isn't going to be a conflict for the pro) and I honestly don't know who, if anyone, there'd be in Newcomer Standard! (Please, please, let him have gotten me into Newcomer--I got stuck dancing up a level at Bronze I and II last year and got slaughtered kicked because I REALLY should have been in Newcomer/Pre-Bronze everything.) As for Smooth...well, that'll go how it goes, but after winning three heats at Ohio I canNOT embarrass myself.

Elise--I'm a hypercompetitive person. So ANY competition is important. I don't *expect* to win, but I go out every time intending to. And even when I do win I nitpick everything to death. At least one of my pros likes that, though, as he's assured me that I could win a world championship and he would STILL pick apart everything I did! This one, as comps go, isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things, but I'll still go out to *compete*.

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Maybe that will work for you - but it may be self defeating. I am very competetive too but what I have noticed is that its the most easy going and comfortable dancers that win - the ones that look like they are beyond thinking about it and in some other astral plane. For me, the competetive appraoch killed that as i was always trying too hard. Does that make sense?

13. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

DOI -- good. I think when I competed in Latin at that comp, I was up against EVERY OTHER TEACHER FROM THE STUDIO :shock::rolleyes:. Sheesh. Honestly, the most amusing thing was seeing them all dance the same routines :p. It was almost like watching a dance formation.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

14. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

Wouldn't work... they'd all forget why they were there...

15. danceronice

I got MASSACRED last year, but again, I was dancing with a different pro in a level beyond where I was. (The video's pathetic--he had to drag me all over the floor. Props to him for trying, but I was a plank of wood.)

As for formations--well, last year, there was that one Paso Doble with only two people in the heat and it did end up being basically a formation dance.

Elise--I suppose it does, but as one of my pros explained to the visiting coach who was talking to me about expression, "She [me] really gives a lot more in competition." I look generally tense and rarely smile in practice (especially in Smooth and Standard) and if photos are anything to go by I almost always look downright miserable doing social dance, but in competition, I love to perform. (Still working on smiling all the time, but it's not a natural or flattering expression on me in general.) I do much better if I've got an audience and judges. I said as much and the coach said "Of course you do, honey, your competition is out there!" I thrive on having someone to compete against. Always have, no matter what I'm doing. If you want me to do something, the best way is to tell me "Do it better/faster/whatever than That Person." Competitions are great for that. Doesn't matter who they are--I honestly don't remember the names of people I've danced against. For me it's about *performing*, not being absorbed in what I'm doing, and performing presuposes an audience. If some of that audience are judges and the object is to get those judges to deem you the best on the day, so much better.

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Then perhaps you should darn well start one. :p

Posting one's own results solo is a bit self-aggrandizing, IMO.

Maybe at a small competition most people will know what you did--if they were there for the whole competition. At many larger competitions people may only be there for a small fraction of events.

17. pruthe

pruthe Member

I would enjoy seeing Dfer comp results either in this thread or a comp thread. IMO, it is not self-aggrandizing.

18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

If you feel that way then you obviously don't have to do so - but it means that we will simply not find out what a terrific competitor you are.

I think you are right if you compete at the elite level - we don't need world champions to tell us how they won their heats or their finals. First of all we already know :) However, if I am competing at the lowly level of Senior I no one will know about that unless they were either competing against me or happened to be at the comp (or its my family :)). What that means is that my friends here are cut out from a key part of my dance life - and isn't that exactly what this place is all about? Perhaps the threshold for maybe not posting is when you results are generally accessible - as on the dancesport sites.

The question also arises: would you also discourage sharing of failures? That is obviously not crowing but do you characterize that as whining? If I can share failures is it honest to not also share successes?

IMO telling people about your successes and failures constitutes one of the nicest ways of communicating and opening your self up to the community. Contrary to showing off I think it actually makes you more vulnerable - winning at Senior I gold (which I have yet to do ;)) may be a success but its also revealing that I am not in pre-champ let alone championship.

19. fascination

I think people do and don't post their results for a variety of reasons, some might be self aggrandizing, some might just feel they want to share with cyber friends...some might not want to and this should in no way make them feel that they are discouraging others by simply wishing to keep something to themselves.....shrug...it's all good

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member