General Dance Discussion > Comp Results of DFers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by elisedance, Jan 21, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

*grin* I worked hard for that unaffected darlin'....would be willing to share though! Oh, and did I mention I can be bribed? *grin*

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...I will have a shot at that on saturday and I am thinking I have cultivated some myself

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

but I will bring bons bons and olives to orlando just in case

4. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

I'm yours.... *grin*

5. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Last comp didn't go too well - we came third out of 4 and third our of 5. And then I did a pro/am showcase that came third out of 6. I think the die is cast...

I think my three weeks off to go overseas that finished a week before the comp didn't help - hopefully we will do better in a couple of weeks (Ontario Open - 25th oct). I suppose the showcase was a victory of sorts as I had only started dancing with pro again the week before and it was a new routine.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

So elise...you're currently dancing both am and pro-am? Excellent for you if you've managed that.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Its a transient thing - but I'm totally loving it. Yesterday I danced for over 4.5 hrs - three of which was lessons. the only problem will be fitting other things in - like work for example! Actually, I find that I seem more productive the more I take on - other time becomes more valuable and useful. the key is to find when you can do certain activitites. DFing is nice midnight, writing in the morning, running my lab during the day, dance afternoon/evening/weekends, violin late either early or late - oddly I don't need to be awake to practice, seems to be a different brain :)

Did you hear anything about the team match standard dances yet?

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Have heard nothing as yet. Am sure will not come up til just before OSB, as I don't believe they make their official invites til then.

Cool about all the dancing. They say, if you want something to get done, ask a busy person. Clearly you. :)

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Argh - please don't ask me anything, I'm definitely at the extra straw stage...

How can they make the invites when its too late to arange enter or even go? This dancesport thing is rather confusing...

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Well, there are DS events held in November...possibly even the week before. Those points have to tally.

I think that a dancer who is in the running must accept that she has to plan on going. Otherwise...don't participate to the degree of actually being in the running for an invite.

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thats the new strategy. I only hope there are enough canadians there to form a team! OTOH what would I do if asked to stand-in for paso doble??? Except take my first lesson that is :)

12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I guess I shoulda posted here too, not just in dance weekend. Looking just straight 1sts vs seconds, etc, did way better than my last (and first) competition at comp this past weekend. :) But to be fair, most of those were uncontested. So I try to just look at contested heats, where out of 10 heats, I took first 5 times, Second 5 times. And 3 times I beat the one competitior I felt to be the real competition, so overall, really happy with that. Better than last year when I got 11 2nds and only beat competition (different dancer) once :)

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Congrats etp - nice to see improvement eh?
    So next year, 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 OK?
    (oh, and with quarterfinals too.... :) )

14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

elisedance you are so funny... maybe with 1st & 2nd round too:)?

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, not aiming quite that high ED. :) Goal I'm thinkign of now, for whenever I scratch up moeny to compete again (hoping for march), is to add some smooth wins. I feel that at least currently my smooth is better than my rhythm, but all three times I beat him were rhythm heats (closed rumba and closed chacha with buddy teacher, and open chacha with pro). So want at least 2 smooth wins next time too. Plus the rhythm again. :)

16. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

ok so all 1st for both smooth & rhythm...ok;)? what other style you do? standard or latin? all 1st;)!!!!

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, I still don't even do all 9 american yet, don't think I'll be adding international any time soon. Esp as I tend to tease our one international teacher a little too much, not sure she'd teach/dance with me anyway. :D

18. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Danced silver latin singles and closed silver scholarship at NJ Open on Friday morning. Dancing can always be better - some mistakes, but video was not totally unwatchable. With more time on these new routines, I will be much more comfortable. Am overall OK with how everything went and am happy I did end up doing it.

One BIG thing to work on for the future...my face. Ugghh..awful pics each time so i figure if he caught all those bad faces, was it like that all the time?!? Need to be more aware of my expressions (paso face in samba?!?) and sometimes lack thereof. Also need to learn about breathing properly - sucking wind a few heats in. Don't know how to manage my energy correctly.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good job, njchica!

i have the same challenge with my face. and still working on the breathing...although focusing on pushing my breath out rather than sucking it in truly has made a big difference for me. i need to challenge myself with more comp simulation rounds in practice...

do you have plans for the next comp yet?

20. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Thanks! Took 2nd in my scholarship (out of 6) so the prize money is nice to pay for video, pics and dinner with pals. ;)

Think I am holding my breath at times and am breathing quite heavily thru my mouth when I actually do breath because I always come off the floor feeling like I have some sort of upper respiratory problem...chest hurts. Agree about comp simulation rounds...need to work on going thru dances one after another and not stop and rest between.

No plans yet for the next - probably not til next year I suppose. Am thinking about the one in Boston in February if it is any good, but not certain yet.